Which new DOA5U character do you think will fare better than the rest?

Which new DOA5U character do you think will fare better than the rest?

• Total voters

David Gregg

I know I know..."a character is only as good as the player who uses him/her" but let's just give subjective opinions on here and vote on who we think will make it out on top. So given what you've seen so far in trailers (which is really not much) which fighter do you predict will have the most tools to be dangerous in the right hands?
:momiji::rachel::jacky::leon: or :ein:

Zeo

:jacky: Will be in the same boat as his sister if not better. Few people will use him but the ones that do will be LARGELY dominant competitively. Then there's the low level players that will try to use him and get owned but they don't really count. Easily the top newcomer.

clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
:momiji:Will probably be the most used newcomer and there will be a LOT of people using her but chances are she'll be deadly used at a high level and potentially a high tier character.

:rachel: A LOT of people will play her and few will be decent. But the few decent players will make her a huge pain to deal with. Couple that with her most likely heavy juggle weight, she's potentially top tier. Pretty sure Spartan was top too.

:ein: Decent amount of newcomers and tons of vets will use him. He'll be seen at a higher level moreso than most of the newcomers but lacks a degree of depth and certain tools to make him one of the scarier characters. Probably will end up mid-high tier. Scary in the right hands for sure but not as much as the above 3 at higher levels.

:leon: Few newcomers or vets will use him. He'll be deadly in the hands of Rikuto and probably Mr.Wah, but few others. He'll be potentially a very strong character though. As all the newcomers.

DontForkWitMe

Judging by what i've seen so far Rachel and Jacky are looking to be the best of the bunch tier-wise. Jacky is a VF character so that alone puts him in a good position against the rest of the DOA characters and Rachel looks like an improved spartan who was already top tier in 4 and she looks to have a lot of good new tools like her in-string grab, air throw that bounces for potential juggle damage, and being a super heavy weight class which limits juggle damage on her, and who knows what else they gave the bitch

As for the rest...

Momiji doesn't seem all that impressive to me, she looks pretty slow compared to the rest of the ninjas and her double jump stance just seems gimmicky and easy to avoid like busa's ninpo stance

haven't seen much of Ein and Leon gameplay but the little we have of them look like direct copy and paste jobs from DOA4/D and both were pretty mediocre in those games so hopefully they got buffed to compete in 5U

DR2K

All will be top tier sans maybe Leon. Jacky for sure if they continue to use VF frame data as a base.

Momiji could end up crap/gimmicky. Very unique.

Rachel should be fine since she's based off of Spartan.

Ein and Leon will probably be mid to low range if their DOA4 versions are anything to go by.

David Gregg

none of them. hayabusa will always win. /end
original.gif

Anyway, I agree with the consensus that either Jacky or Rachel is possibly the top contender.
Now I know that Rachel has some of Spartan's moveset but does Jacky play anything like Jann? B/c if so a VF version of Jann Lee = terrifying. lol

Argentus

Jacky being VF will be good
Momiji being a ninja will be good
Rachel being Spartan will be good.
Ein is "Standard" so I don't think he'll be bad, but not great, either. He's too balanced and straightforward.

Leon is the one I'm worried about. Haven't seen much of him but his entire character goes against the "stuncombo" style of DOA5. So either they will screw up the core of the character to make him good in DOA5U, or he'll be really hard to use effectively in DOA5U. He's the reason I'm getting it, either way.

David Gregg

Leon is the one I'm worried about. Haven't seen much of him but his entire character goes against the "stun combo" style of DOA5. So either they will screw up the core of the character to make him good in DOA5U, or he'll be really hard to use effectively in DOA5U. He's the reason I'm getting it, either way.

Interesting that you say that Argentus. I never really played as Leon so I just assumed he was basically Bayman with a few alterations here and there. Could you maybe explain that a little more?

Now the only thing that I have to say about Ein that may make him more of a threat is the fact that he has an offensive hold now. But I agree with everyone he's still pretty straightforward.

Argentus

Interesting that you say that Argentus. I never really played as Leon so I just assumed he was basically Bayman with a few alterations here and there. Could you maybe explain that a little more?

Now the only thing that I have to say about Ein that may make him more of a threat is the fact that he has an offensive hold now. But I agree with everyone he's still pretty straightforward.

I'm oversimplifying this simply due to how I explain things, but with Leon, he doesn't really "combo" or "Stun". He just BREAKS you. Notice that most of his signature moves either send his opponent flying, or crumpled on the floor, as opposed to say, launching or stunning. Like...Leon doesn't "stun/combo" into his Arm Grenade. He just pimp slaps you across the arena.

Simplified, Leon just overpowers the opponent with sheer strength, not a whole lot of need for "setup" like with most characters. This makes him hard to use since you need to be really good at timing to take advantage of his big, swinging moves. For example. I remember Arm Grenading Jan Lee out of his Dragon Kick once. THAT is how you Leon.

Like...other characters have "pokes". Leon has "slams".

Don't get me wrong you can stuncombo with him, just that he's slow, and its kind of insulting to Leon if you do.

David Gregg

So based on the feedback from you guys I'm getting the sense that:
Jacky: predicted as S...nothing lower than that
Rachel: A but could be an S due to her similarities to Spartan
Momiji: teetering between an A and B depending on how effective those flashy moves really are
Ein: a solid B
Leon: not enough gameplay yet but most likely a B as well

Thoughts?

DontForkWitMe

Leon is not ALL slow hard hitting strikes he also has one of best pressure strings of all the grapplers with his p6p/p,k,or 2k and 6pp/p,k, or 2k and from what i remember all mixup options from those strings are safe. not to mention 2kk is great at opening an opponent up and breaking their defense. He also retained 33p and its properties in 5U giving him a good ranged sitdown stun that high crushes.

Lets not also forget like the rest of the grapplers getting hi-counter thrown by Leon means you'll be eating a shitload of damage accept unlike the other grapplers Leons damaging throws hurl them a good distance for potential wall/dangerzone damage on top of the already high damage like dervish throw and desert falcon

He was mediocre in 4 simply because ALL the grapplers got fucked in that game so if they use his DOA3 iteration as a template along with taking advantage of 5's mechanics with some good guaranteed set ups then i can easily see him being mid tier at worst.

Argentus

Leon is not ALL slow hard hitting strikes he also has one of best pressure strings of all the grapplers with his p6p/p,k,or 2k and 6pp/p,k, or 2k and from what i remember all mixup options from those strings are safe. not to mention 2kk is great at opening an opponent up and breaking their defense. He also retained 33p and its properties in 5U giving him a good ranged sitdown stun that high crushes. He was mediocre in 4 simply because ALL the grapplers got fucked in that game so if they use his DOA3 iteration as a template along with taking advantage of 5's mechanic i can easily see him in mid tier at worst.

Oh I know, I was just referring to his "signature" attacks all being huge power hits.

Plus cmon. You KNOW you loved just headbutting faster characters out of their strings then sending them flying with an Arm Grenade while they are staggered from a Leon to the face.

Zeo

Ein's placement depends largely on what moves have certain properties. 8k Being unholdable, what his wall loops are, what moves have advantage/are safe, what moves cause SDS, And of course his damage. He's always been a character that never covered any particular field (Rushdown, keepaway, gimmicks, grappling, etc) but relied more-so on fundamentals with damage output crazy enough to reward good ones.

If his core moves have good properties like his DOA2-3 counterpart he'll be in the A-B+ range. Worst case scenario he's just a DOA4 port which will probably drop him to B-C and in the worst case, D.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD