DOA5LR Why Are the Majority of Players So Salty?

Reikou

I see this a lot with foreigners... Never been messaged like this by another Japanese player though.

You clearly haven't played enough. I've seen people get death threats over those games.

Try it again against someone with a top tier team with Peacock, Fillia or Fukua and learn why solo-Bella hasn't been viable for some time now.

I didn't say people didn't get salty, I said not nearly as much, I've been playing Street Fighter since SF2 the original on the SNES, if that isn't long enough...I guess I needed to be on the dev teams or something lol

I also never stated I was a super duper ultimate high level tournament player. Nor have I played super duper high level tournament players except like one. But I have fought quite a bit of Peacock/Fillia teams, it's tough, but I was already used to that type of up hill battle, from playing umvc3, and maining Haggar, everyone runs and shoots at you in that game, can't blame them. It might go close to time in every game, but let me touch them once, and they will probably be dead. But I did stop playing the game a long time ago.

TLEE SAID THIS:

Kids are babied by being raised without properly learning how to lose, so when they do lose it usually comes as a shock and the backlash is always a lot more butthurt. This also goes hand-in-hand with the anonymity of the internet whereby people are given a false sense of invincibility. Anyway, it's the culture of entitlement.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I know this might be a challenge for some, but this motivated a friend of mine...

c6b7d95390e8b7c80ddceccf20fb283e.jpg

Macca Beam

in DOA if you simply pick a character someone disagrees with you're going to hear about it.
I noticed this even on here. How common is it and how bad does it get because I'm almost excited to play online in a few months.

Argentus

Mostly its that due to "memorize then spam your best combo" conditioning from other fighters, people literally can't comprehend the mind games of DOA and can't adapt.

When people can't see patterns they cry random, when they keep getting held they cry grab spam, etc etc.

DOA has a whole other dimension of tactics that most otherfighters don't, and people do not like that lol.

I don't think it's really just DOA, I've actually gotten much worse hatemail on MK9 online at a more frequent rate.

Might be because both their netcodes are bad lol.
Oh Jesus yes. I chalk it up more to mk having more of the douchebro demographic though. Mk9 had the worst community I've ever seen.

Like I entered one lobby, this guy was spamming kung Laos combos for his wins, I picked sheeva and let him just run into armorgrapples over and over and the lobby cheered for me beating him. Which slowly switched to hating on me just like him as the matches went on, as I continued to just stand there as they kept rushing into my grapples. Then I'm getting spammed with hatemail for just grabbing and how I suck because I'm not comboing etc lol. Someone finally beat me thanks to Noob (sheevas like...worst matchup lol).

It's bad when someone tells me Momiji is cheap...

Cheap? Only in that everything launches, but it does like no damage anyway so she's just really annoying to fight lol.
I see this a lot with foreigners... Never been messaged like this by another Japanese player though.
Just.....the way you worded that speaks literal volumes...

Last edited:

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
This game is in truth probably the only 3D fighter that I really have a decent amount of experience with. But the community, especially online seems incredibly childish, and hateful. I mostly have a 2D fighting game background.

I've noticed a big difference in the community in DOA. About 75% of players you come across get incredibly salty about different play styles. The majority, will begin to insult you, send you hate mail, bitch and moan the entire time you start playing them. Example of what they will say.

- You spam the same moves
- You run away
- All you do is throw!
- You just keep doing that same thing into that same combo
- You are terrible, learn how to play the game right!

And if they happen to take a round for whatever reason, they will usually start attacking your character repeatedly while they are down in such an angry fashion! lol

This isn't just something I come across every once in a while, it's something I see all the time. Granted I play some Hayate, and Ein a good bit, and they are somewhat iffy up close, and their best tools are in mid range. Usually I play up close with Hitomi, unless they are a Speedster like Kasumi, or Christie. Then I'll most likely start spacing with her 236P, 46P, 236K, 6H+K, and 2P+K.

Now I know there is the occasional salty talk, or hate mail in other fighters, like Street Fighter, UMVC3, GG, Smash, BB, Uniel, KOF, etc. But it just feels ridiculous, to constantly be insulted for trying to play my characters the right way. Feels like the only way people will be happy, is if both players are at point blank range, and throwing out attacks at random and praying.

So what makes the DOA community so salty? Compared to others fighting game series? And how do you explain to someone that with a slower character, I'm not going to be able to effectively rush down someone like Christie and live to tell about it, with someone like Ein.

1. This answer is easy The F**king Netcode sucks and also these people aren't apart or understand the Fighting game community imagine playing someone who has never picked up a fighting in their life these are the people your running into.

2. The problem with players saying you are spamming can never Explain what in "specific" you spamming like Hitomi's 6K,2K all they say is stop spamming Go ahead and ask them what am i spamming i bet you 99% they can't even explain.

3. The online community believes in a Honor Code a made up book that doesn't exist about Fighting Games they want you to play to their expectations you know Fair The Right way .

4. The Doa community is mostly casual So none of these players will ever understand you until they want to get better for themselves, the community just get upstarted because of a lack of understanding the game which is alot.

5. The "Online" community for Dead or Alive can explain everything there is about DLC but can't even explain in Detail why they lost to you or "Frame Data" which is sad.

I must be the lucky one in this community i never get alot of hate mail like once every 6 months, i get GGs every time i step online Dominating players as usual i guess im playing the game the right way go figure.

Just play with Friends and you'll be fine!!

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
1. This answer is easy The F**king Netcode sucks and also these people aren't apart or understand the Fighting game community imagine playing someone who has never picked up a fighting in their life these are the people your running into.

2. The problem with players saying you are spamming can never Explain what in "specific" you spamming like Hitomi's 6K,2K all they say is stop spamming Go ahead and ask them what am i spamming i bet you 99% they can't even explain.

3. The online community believes in a Honor Code a made up book that doesn't exist about Fighting Games they want you to play to their expectations you know Fair The Right way .

4. The Doa community is mostly casual So none of these players will ever understand you until they want to get better for themselves, the community just get upstarted because of a lack of understanding the game which is alot.

5. The "Online" community for Dead or Alive can explain everything there is about DLC but can't even explain in Detail why they lost to you or "Frame Data" which is sad.

I must be the lucky one in this community i never get alot of hate mail like once every 6 months, i get GGs every time i step online Dominating players as usual i guess im playing the game the right way go figure.

Just play with Friends and you'll be fine!!

IMHO, even if the netcode was "good" people would still get salty because some players either don't like to get beat or refuse to admit that they're getting beat legitimately and think that you're just cheating them. Like was mentioned earlier, it's this pathetic culture of entitlement that people are raised in where everyone is considered a "winner" and you're never expected to experience a loss. It's a huge issue with Western society. Everyone feels like they deserve something they haven't earned and throw a hissy-fit tantrum when they don't get their way like a spoiled brat.

This "Honor Code" you speak of is the Code of the Scrub. David Sirlin goes into a decent amount of detail with regards to it. Scrubs online are an annoying piece of filth, but offline scrubs are even more sad IMO because I can see their manner and mannerisms firsthand and it's disgusting.

More people need to channel their saltiness into more productive energy such as figuring out why something works and why something doesn't.

Argentus

IMHO, even if the netcode was "good" people would still get salty because some players either don't like to get beat or refuse to admit that they're getting beat legitimately and think that you're just cheating them. Like was mentioned earlier, it's this pathetic culture of entitlement that people are raised in where everyone is considered a "winner" and you're never expected to experience a loss. It's a huge issue with Western society. Everyone feels like they deserve something they haven't earned and throw a hissy-fit tantrum when they don't get their way like a spoiled brat.

This "Honor Code" you speak of is the Code of the Scrub. David Sirlin goes into a decent amount of detail with regards to it. Scrubs online are an annoying piece of filth, but offline scrubs are even more sad IMO because I can see their manner and mannerisms firsthand and it's disgusting.

More people need to channel their saltiness into more productive energy such as figuring out why something works and why something doesn't.
It ain't just scrubs who get salty though. The problems bigger than just that, though it is a factor.

KING JAIMY

This "Honor Code" you speak of is the Code of the Scrub.
Now this is something I get really pissed about. I have to hear it every time I go against randoms online:

I block. Scrub: ''You are boring, learn to attack!'' (a.k.a. mash)
I throw (to punish whiffed holds or unsafe moves). Scrub: ''Cheap spammer, stop grabbing me.''
I hold something on reaction/prediction (insofar that is possible online). Scrub: ''You are just doing random counters, learn to fight.''
I slow escape. Scrub: ''Damn you are using a lag switch that was a guaranteed setup!'' (not 'guaranteed' at all when I SE).
I'm using a post-CB max dmg. combo. Scrub: ''Stop spamming the same combo you noob. Learn the game.'' (meanwhile they are only doing combos like Ayane's 6PP into PPPK or Hitomi's 4KK into PPP; *sigh* the hypocrisy sometimes).

So no matter what I do, I'm always cheap. Meanwhile they can do everything they want without tolerating any criticism regarding their own gameplay.

In a way I get salty about that as well: I get salty about their saltiness. If they call me cheap for whatever reason, I try to explain the mechanics of the game to them. However, my attempts to explain important aspects of the game such as frame data have never been taken seriously and have only resulted in the same message ''Disconnected from the lobby'' (a.k.a. kicked out of the lobby) on my screen every time.

That really frustrates me and gives me another reason not to play online with randoms and play with friends instead (whether it be online or offline). The typical scrub mentality is mostly found in the online realm and rarely when playing offline. This in my opinion is what makes DOA offline so good: You play with people who actually understand the game and people who do not vigorously complain about something 'cheap'.

P.S.: I've got to admit, I find Alpha's B.U.R.S.T. (236236T) incredibly cheap but do not complain about it since I realize it's my own fault for getting caught by it: I learn from my error and try to come with up with strategy to get not caught by it a second time. More people should have the mindset of learning from their own mistakes, instead of nagging about how cheap something was, in my opinion.

And this is why I think this is the quote of the day. :)

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Which leads to another big problem.

Even when you're in the process of doing something positive with yourself, some people insist on rubbing more of the proverbial salt to the wound by reminding you of your failures telling you - and even implying - that you won't amount to shit, whether it's behind your back or even in front of you.

Ichiron47

I've dealt with "salt" in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I remember the times where I felt I had good matches, or admire their customized costumes, and it would all get ruined, once I received messages from them after beating them. Making me lose respect that they resort to being crybabies for losing.

Still though, I get more salt playing DOA than anything else. I think it really is this mentality where you're supposed to play a certain way (a.k.a. "fair"), but even if you do, and you win, they will still get mad. Maybe it hasn't been common to them that this game can be played however the player sees fit to win. Maybe since they aren't at a certain level, whatever their opponent does that they can't stop (even though it could be stopped or countered), would be considered cheap, and then the hate mail comes. Honestly, I don't know how anybody finds the time to be salty at someone they don't know over the internet, or how will that change the fact that they lost. For me, some people get mad at how I play, even though I win. Maybe my style makes it seem like, I'm not supposed to win, or something. And if I finally lose, they will still be salty. It's now at the point where, it doesn't bother me anymore. The way I've always seen it, if I win, I win. If I lose, I lose. Period. I can't imagine behavior like this happens offline though...

akhi216

Standard Donor

This says it all.

TLEE SAID THIS:

The funny thing though is that it's real easy to fix. Just remember at the end of the day you're playing a video game, and if you're an adult throwing tantrums over a video game, then maybe you need to put down the controller and do something else. Being a decent human being also helps.

Sett

Casuals gonna casual. Its easy to refuse responsibility when you're personal reputation doesn't matter.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD