Why do people do these two things?

SilverKhaos

1) Before the round starts keep shuffling directly into the middle of my chest. As in, keep going forward, into me, before the round has even started.

2) During rounds, shuffle around in place.

I see literally no purpose to these. I mean...I can see a theoretical purpose, but I can't see a practical one. The first one...Can't see a point because all it does is get them countered or punted backwards.

Second one...I guess they are trying to psyche me out or something? Doesn't work, because they only seem to do it when i'm just...standing there waiting for them to finish shuffling for no reason lol.

EDog21

Could be trying to intimidate you. I personally crouch with Tina, and do her crouch mid punch combo. It seems to beat out lots of things, and I can mix it with a throw for some high counter damage should the person counter. I guess doing number 1 could be seen as playing a game of chicken. For the second one they probably want you to run in so they can use whatever move they had on their mind anyway. Could also be repositioning or looking for some sign of perceived weakness.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
It's to bait out a hold generally. I do it mostly to characters with a faster jab or mid than I have the ability to crush or beat out. If the opponent flinches, you can immediately start applying pressure. If they don't bite and instead just attack anyway, it informs me for the next round. Solid play regardless. Moving around between rounds is usually just when the person likes to be doing something constantly. No real reason otherwise.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
They move up to you to cause pressure. It forces you to deal with a mixup before the round has even started, and if you don't know your characters and opponents fastest attacks you will usually lose this mixup the majority of the time. I'd study frame data for that reason alone.

Personally never agreed with DOA allowing you to do that though. I always felt that moving before the round starts just ends up favoring faster characters because they can bypass the spacing game of slower characters.

HiguraShiki

They move up to you to cause pressure. It forces you to deal with a mixup before the round has even started, and if you don't know your characters and opponents fastest attacks you will usually lose this mixup the majority of the time. I'd study frame data for that reason alone.

Personally never agreed with DOA allowing you to do that though. I always felt that moving before the round starts just ends up favoring faster characters because they can bypass the spacing game of slower characters.
Which in term, forces the slower character to guess between high/mid, low, or grab. Shame, this is what happens to me most of the time when I play as Bayman...

SilverKhaos

The issue I've come across is...the people who do rush right into your face as the match starts...never use mixup. They always just start punching (Kicks if Zack or Rig), with high/mid/low depending on which character they are using. Hence me saying it just gets them countered. Only times I've seen someone open up with, say, a grab, is during later rounds after they've gotten frustrated with me tackling them with Mila so many times, and so they are trying to retaliate with grabs as well.

Like I said...I can see the purpose in THEORY...but in practice it just backfires due to human/player nature.

MajesticBlue

Most of the time I do it because I know my frame data and I'm looking for an advantageous position. Why would I want to leave my back to a dangerzone or leave myself close to a wall, why give them any kind of advantage at all by giving them room to push me back? At the same time by dashing forward I can push you to the wall, even if only a little. An advantage is an advantage. Take anything you can.

HiguraShiki

The issue I've come across is...the people who do rush right into your face as the match starts...never use mixup. They always just start punching (Kicks if Zack or Rig), with high/mid/low depending on which character they are using. Hence me saying it just gets them countered. Only times I've seen someone open up with, say, a grab, is during later rounds after they've gotten frustrated with me tackling them with Mila so many times, and so they are trying to retaliate with grabs as well.

Like I said...I can see the purpose in THEORY...but in practice it just backfires due to human/player nature.
This is happening because:
A) They aren't decent
B) They aren't decent
C) They aren't decent

SilverKhaos

This is happening because:
A) They aren't decent
B) They aren't decent
C) They aren't decent

Also because I'm fairly good at reading people. There's only so many ways to do an opening attack. It narrows down if you know the player type, the character they are using, and your own character. Like I said, certain types of people rush straight in. These types usually open straight up with a string. This string can then be predicted based upon the character they chose, and further narrowed down by recognizing that they are the type to move in right off the bat. Aka, basic formula for predicting is Player type>Character>Playstyle>Personal Preferences. From there you can guide their actions pretty evenly. (Like backing up when they rush in to encourage them to do a longer reaching attack, then sidestepping to punish said longer reach attack, etc). Though I don't want to derail the topic into discussing this, I was just pointing out that its just not "they are terrible." This is DOA, its not that simple.

From what I've faced, the "decent players" DONT just rush right in. This is DOA, so...as this topic demonstrates, that can be a terrible tactic.

SilverKhaos

Most of the time I do it because I know my frame data and I'm looking for an advantageous position. Why would I want to leave my back to a dangerzone or leave myself close to a wall, why give them any kind of advantage at all by giving them room to push me back? At the same time by dashing forward I can push you to the wall, even if only a little. An advantage is an advantage. Take anything you can.

But it also leaves you open, which is why I get so confused by people doing it. Because I'm not talking about maneuvering yourself in the second thing, I'm talking about people who just shuffle back and forth in place, Street Fighter style.

HiguraShiki

Also because I'm fairly good at reading people.
You can't read people in the beginning of the match. That isn't reading, that is guessing. Reading means learning the move patterns a player does over time.
Also, DOA_Eater rushes in with Tina, it usually works because you have to guess between 3 different patterns.

MajesticBlue

There is a very complex yomi that surrounds R1F. You have to understand the matchup and go from there. If you know they have a 10 frame jab and 12 frame mid. While your character has an 11 frame jab and 13 frame mid, you can condition them to do whatever the hell you want. If they start to lock up up they are now playing your game. This has changed from Doa 4 though with the SS system. Just something else to learn.

If you start every round with your fastest mid, they will have to deal with that. You have an option that can beat any option they can do that could beat it Will they jab or try and hold you? Is their mid faster then yours? Is your jab faster then their mid? Mind games right off the bat. That is why knowing everybody's fastest attacks is important.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

You're playing horrible people, to be honest.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
This is actually one of the few reasons to play a slower character when learning the game. It forces you to deal with Yomi before the round even starts, even if your opponent is so fast they are unaware of it. Once you see the truth, you cannot unsee it... and then every situation in every fighting game becomes similar.

HiguraShiki

This is actually one of the few reasons to play a slower character when learning the game. It forces you to deal with Yomi before the round even starts, even if your opponent is so fast they are unaware of it. Once you see the truth, you cannot unsee it... and then every situation in every fighting game becomes similar.
The only downside is that if you plan on playing online with slower characters, prepare to be in a world of hurt -_-
However, Bayman is probably the best character for reading. Well, there is leifang too.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD