Why don't they do a Frame Data book like before?

JohnS

I like the printout of a nice little frame data book where I can check when fantastic DOA ideas comes into my mind, and I need some scientific support.

This "go into the training mode and check the frame data for yourself" thing is rubbish and really inconvenient. A character has at least 100 moves I can't be bothered to go to the training mode all the time if I wanna test something or confirm whether something is safe or not.

Really TN, not satisfied. I see you've sold a good amount of copies of this game so presumably now we can hire some great stuff and finish this beta version (shhhhhhhh~) product?

Maybe the real reason is there are a million of character balance patches coming which is why not bothered to put the frame data into printing? (shhhhh~)

JohnS

... The official guide has the frame data.

They have to release a electronic version of the frame data cause obviously the official guide is very much out-dated. If they do another book it will be out-dated soon as well.

TRI Mike

The guide isn't outdated... at least not yet. The frame data will eventually be available in this very site. Some members already started uploading it to the wiki section. I might do a character or two myself.

Neige

I'd do it myself as I also have the book... But if I do own the book and reprint the frame data listed to the wiki, would that get me in trouble?

innovare

I'd do it myself as I also have the book... But if I do own the book and reprint the frame data listed to the wiki, would that get me in trouble?

I was asking myself the very same question, I have most of Hitomi's data already done for personal use.

JohnS

I say this as a compliment, an appreciation. The DOAU and DOA4 frame data on their website is very well made.

It presented complicated frame data in a clear and concise way, elegant I would say. I still enjoy reading DOA4 frame data whether when I am waiting for a flight, or sit in a Starbucks chilling in the afternoon.

Well now we come into DOA5 age this is ruined. They are just being lazy and cheap now because someone’s gonna do it for them online anyway.

DrDogg

I say this as a compliment, an appreciation. The DOAU and DOA4 frame data on their website is very well made.

It presented complicated frame data in a clear and concise way, elegant I would say. I still enjoy reading DOA4 frame data whether when I am waiting for a flight, or sit in a Starbucks chilling in the afternoon.

Well now we come into DOA5 age this is ruined. They are just being lazy and cheap now because someone’s gonna do it for them online anyway.

Having done the frame data in the guide based off of what Team Ninja sent us for the day 1 patch, I can tell you that it isn't an easy task to translate what Team Ninja has in their internal files into something that the average person would understand and comprehend. It's not a matter of being lazy or cheap, it's hard work.

As others have stated, the frame data is in the guide, and it's based on the day 1 patch. As of now, it's still current and offers more insight into the frame data compared to what's shown in the game. I imagine it will be at least another month before we get the balance patch, and even then we don't know how much will be changed, so the guide is still your best bet at the moment.

Raansu

Having done the frame data in the guide based off of what Team Ninja sent us for the day 1 patch, I can tell you that it isn't an easy task to translate what Team Ninja has in their internal files into something that the average person would understand and comprehend. It's not a matter of being lazy or cheap, it's hard work.

As others have stated, the frame data is in the guide, and it's based on the day 1 patch. As of now, it's still current and offers more insight into the frame data compared to what's shown in the game. I imagine it will be at least another month before we get the balance patch, and even then we don't know how much will be changed, so the guide is still your best bet at the moment.

You think so? I figured it would be a bit longer. That seems kind of quick.

DrDogg

You think so? I figured it would be a bit longer. That seems kind of quick.

I said, "at least". I would like it sooner rather than later, but I can't see sooner being any faster than a month. I would not be surprised if it's longer.

damedame

If you *COPY* it, it would be bad. Copying others work is never a good thing. (Though it's rather common. I've never looked, but I'm sure there's probably a full PDF copy of said guide laying somewhere online...)

If you take the data from the game, and present it in your own way, there would be no problem. In fact, this would probably be a better approach, especially if people playing the character and who understand the character can give insights.

I've haven't bought a strategy guide since ummmm... Final fantasy 3 to be honest. I find they're usually poorly done and rarely helpful. I did look at a page of the DOA5 one that someone linked on these forums. The preview available at prima or something website. It was for kasumi and was actually well done. Had good insights and explained ideas and how to use the frame data to your advantage. If the rest of the guide is as well written, it may be worth a purchase, if you are into such things.

In the end, a well maintained wiki with all the frame data and good insights, updated for the most current patch, would probably be the best thing the community could create.

Neige

Well I tried updating the DOA5 Bass data at the wiki: http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/bass-frame-data-doa5/

This... is the best I could. Guess it needs a :air: and a :ground: symbol for air and ground throws, and maybe a way to symplify that section all together. It's rather clunky at the moment.

Were I to redo the experience with anyone else, I'd put ALL the attacks in one section, strings following the pokes which they come from. Read what it looks like, tell me everything wrong with it and I'll start thinking about the next one.

Google docs is best, though.

Tenren

the doa4 frame data even took a while, But back then having guides and frame data wasn't a big thing as it is today. The guide's frame data is actual done really well. Hell if i ever see Bryan offline I'm going to have him sign that shit lol.
But for-real tho, if you want to see frame data quickly just turn on the data while playing on lobby's or save you ranked replays. I find it a lot easier to read it quickly during a match. I can look down and see that hey that didn't work and know why. During ranked I don't have it on but lobby play I do

Doug Nguyen

Cant force anyone but, buy the guide. Dr. Dogg worked really hard on it, so do your duty and support the DOA community. Thats if you want the guide.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
This... is the best I could. Guess it needs a :air: and a :ground: symbol for air and ground throws, and maybe a way to symplify that section all together. It's rather clunky at the moment.

Were I to redo the experience with anyone else, I'd put ALL the attacks in one section, strings following the pokes which they come from. Read what it looks like, tell me everything wrong with it and I'll start thinking about the next one.

The attacks are separated because the columns are sortable in Ascending and Descending order. It's why I didn't put "6+6+6+6+10" in the damage value, I was just putting "34". Because by selecting the "Initial", "Active", "Recovery", "Damage", "Hit", and "Guard" column headers you can change the sort order on the client's end. So you could see which is the most damaging or least damaging throw. You can also see the fastest attack or the one that gives the most frame advantage.

That last sentence is why I broke off the pokes because let's say you have a situation where you're +25. You want to see what attacks you can get guaranteed, If you had the strings all in one table then you'd be seeing things like :P::K: being 14 initial frames come up in the order, but that's inaccurate because you have to take into effect the initial starting poke of :P: which is 13 initial frames + the 2 active frames then you get to the 14 initial frames of :P::K:. Sorting out the pokes will allow you to see what's your fastest and slowest attacks you can do as a string start up.

As for Air Throw and Ground Throw icons, I don't think they're necessary. You just state before the notation "While Opponent is Launched" or "While Opponent is Laying"

Neige

VFDC has the best online command list searchable by execution, damage and everything else. I'm sure that in a situation where people need to know what is available to them on a certain frame advantage, they can discount options that simply aren't viable.

Having strings follow the string starters also helps legibility in terms of what follow-ups work well. If I have a choice between two string starters, I can just read what follows next instead of scrolling down and try to find my original string starter

Anywho, it's moot.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD