Why I wouldn't go to an offline event for DOA. (Out of character post, AKA, real talk.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopedo

No no, it's not because people are going to kill me. I've met half of the people I cussed out online and I'm still typing.

*OUT OF CHARACTER LOPEDO POST... AKA REAL TALK*

I won't ever go to a DOA offline tournament for simple, yet complicated reasons. My first reason is, I don't really care about the prizes. I don't care if I can make 100 bucks, or 1,000. I do it for the sport, not the rewards. Think about how many players are there that KNOW they will lose. Do you think they go there for first place? Yeah. Do they think they'll win? No. They go to interact and play the game they like with like minded people, and this is where one of my problems come in.

Long before I cussed a bunch of people out online, the community was garbage. Everybody says that, but what does it actually mean? Let me explain. If you win online, you lag. If you lose online, you suck. If you win OFFLINE, you got lucky. If you lose OFFLINE, you suck. That's bullshit. Why? It's bullshit because the new comers to this game will never be accepted as anything but scrubs. Why do I care? I'm established. I'm lopedo, or Manny, or PL, or Brady, what do I care if these new kids don't have a name or a voice? Well, here's why you should care. The competitive scene only exists because of the lopedo's, the Manny's, the PL's, Brady's, etc etc. Without us, the DOA4/5 disk would be no different from the say... MechAssault disc on Xbox. It would be untouched by anybody.

So when you see 3 of the same people winning everything and wonder why the hell nobody can step up, ask yourself if you've played somebody who could possibly beat Manny at a tournament. If you have, did you let that be known, at least to that particular player? Or did you tell him/her that they got lucky and then laughed about it with all of your friends.

This directly leads into my next problem, two faced people. Not everybody can like everybody, which is fine. PL was talking trash after I met him a few years ago, Brady just hates life, I myself am running around dogging everything that ever thought about DOA. (We'll get to that another day.) The point is, it's not about liking each other. Each and every player that goes to a tourney wants to have fun. If they don't, THEY SHOULDN'T BE THERE! It's VERY hard to have fun in an already hostile environment due to online wars, but then we have the elite group dogging everybody, and what the hell happens?

People say the tourny scene is friendly for DOA. I've been to ONE myself, it wasn't UN-FRIENDLY, but look at the constant back and fourths between EVERYBODY here, and on the mic on Live. It makes people feel like bringing a gun just in case! Not to that extreme of course, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

Until EVERYBODY can put the issues they have/had with each other aside, respect the skill level of EACH INDIVIDUAL for what it is, be it better or worse than your own and smile at the losses as much as at the wins, there is zero reason for me to spend my resources traveling and meeting folks.

The fight is in the game guys, not with each other. Let's try to remember that for the future.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Honestly man I've never had that issue at a tourney (except with maybe rabies, once or twice, and that kid is always on some kind of a hilarious high). So I don't know... where did you go a tournament? I vaguely recall this a while back. Folks on the east coast are actually pretty damn cool. It'd actually be nice to see you at one of these, and not just for that "support the community" propaganda. I think you'd be a fun tournament personality.

Overall though, most people tend to put aside drama at tournaments and just have a good time. Actually pretty common that we all go out for dinner/drinks afterwards. Last time I traveled for DOA, it wasn't even a traditional tournament, just a few guys getting toghether for the weekend to play some games. If that's not love of the game, I don't know what is.

From what I've played, online makes the game 99.9% more hostile than offline, and far less enjoyable. Highguy and I look like we're at each others throats sometimes, mostly for his retarded writing style and INSANE views about 3.1 vs 4.1, but offline we're actually pretty tight. Once, we got locked out of Hubb's house in the middle of winter, and we had to take shelter in a small 24 hour laundromat. We waited so long for him to get back we were forced to eat a small child, it was a great male bonding session. And y'know, in a perfect world, I'd rather everyone just got along online as well as they did offline. That's coming from someone known for trolling, so maybe it's not all that believable to some people, but that's actually how I feel.

I think the ones you hear about actually doing crazy shit offline is pretty rare, like carl and manny slapping each other, and that kind of stuff just makes the rest of the community laugh and gain a new story to tell.

Oh, and one last thing. Fuck Texas.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Honestly man I've never had that issue at a tourney (except with maybe rabies, once or twice, and that kid is always on some kind of a hilarious high).
I'll keep both eyes open after hearing what happened to you.

So I don't know... where did you go a tournament? I vaguely recall this a while back. Folks on the east coast are actually pretty damn cool. It'd actually be nice to see you at one of these, and not just for that "support the community" propaganda. I think you'd be a fun tournament personality.
Agreed.

Overall though, most people tend to put aside drama at tournaments and just have a good time. Actually pretty common that we all go out for dinner/drinks afterwards. Last time I traveled for DOA, it wasn't even a traditional tournament, just a few guys getting toghether for the weekend to play some games. If that's not love of the game, I don't know what is.
In the words of the late Biggie Smalls, that's also known as "bullshit and party".

From what I've played, online makes the game 99.9% more hostile than offline, and far less enjoyable. Highguy and I look like we're at each others throats sometimes, mostly for his retarded writing style and INSANE views about 3.1 vs 4.1, but offline we're actually pretty tight. Once, we got locked out of Hubb's house in the middle of winter, and we had to take shelter in a small 24 hour laundromat. We waited so long for him to get back we were forced to eat a small child, it was a great male bonding session. And y'know, in a perfect world, I'd rather everyone just got along online as well as they did offline. That's coming from someone known for trolling, so maybe it's not all that believable to some people, but that's actually how I feel.
You two actually took part in cannibalism? That I had to see.

I think the ones you hear about actually doing crazy shit offline is pretty rare, like carl and manny slapping each other, and that kind of stuff just makes the rest of the community laugh and gain a new story to tell.
Julius Rage. Don't forget Julius Rage.

I'm sure anyone who likes 'em big and round would want to. Alexis has the biggest landscape I ever--

Wait, you're talking about the state.

lopedo

Interesting.

While I believe that everybody is cool AT the event and I don't have any doubt it's a blast, my desire to go to one still isn't there. Half the fun is the journey, the other is the people. I think we've all done a thing or two in our time here that would call for an apology from somebody or another. I have a hard time thinking about spending money, using my car, all of that shit just to go meet people that have been less than respectful. It goes with the whole two faced problem. :-/ Maybe it's just me and I usually try not to hold grudges.

I've been going out to melty events for a while, been working on traveling further recently and went up to Rutgers for Knight Slash. Here's what I think:

You should be going to events with people you know. The more you can talk and/or play (possibly at the same time) the better the event gets. I haven't quite gotten to the point where tournaments are worth it yet, but I think that's probably because I keep to myself for the most part.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well not sure what I could say to change that. People are what they are, but I can tell you is that this site was mostly created because we wanted to have a place to collaborate and play the game without all the drama. In fact I think the only drama anyone still feels is against Master because he just burned everybody so bad, and seems to still carry that terrible attitude with him wherever he goes.

It's a fresh start, so don't think of all the garbage that went on at DOAC. Some people had to grow up, and some people had to move on. Even Tom Brady admitted that his interactions with the DOA community had him taking on a much more hostile persona than who he actually is. And I've seen him online, in tournaments, and just offline casually. It's completely true.

It's been six years, and it's as good a time as any to start doing things right. I understand getting burned in the past, so I know where you're coming from. All I can say is I hope the atmosphere from here on proves to be better than what it was and change your mind. Like I said, It'd be nice to see you offline.

Until then, I leave you with these words of wisdom.

lopedo

I met Brady, too. We were playing Soul Calibur 4, and he won a round. He then proceeded to ask me if I needed a headset and online to win and talk shit. I proceeded to beat him over and over and over, and each time he kept asking for a rematch. It was then that I learned that offline vs online is actually real to some people. Just to set the record straight, offline demonstrates skill better than online. But me keeping offline and beating somebody is no more a miracle than a lag spike in any casual round of DOA. Online is a better training mode than offline as it's less costly and where else can you train, but online, from the comfort of your own home.

Black Mamba, Manny, everybody that is supposed to be "high level" don't really like me. 100% out of character, I can STILL say that I don't care. The reason though, is what bothers me. It's not because I was racist or mean to them, no. It's that they can't accept that I don't like DOA4 as a competitive fighter and still beat them. Again, me, or anybody else in the world winning against a top player isn't a miracle.

Anyways, I plan to cover a lot more of my actual thoughts on DOA and stuff and go out of the lopedo character to actually give insight on what I think and feel towards the game and it's community. Before 5 comes out I'll be doing a YouTube video going over a bunch of things that I won't be posting since I don't want everybody falling asleep.

A new website doesn't mean a fresh start. A fresh start is when two people with problems can reconcile their differences and treat each other with enough respect to communicate on more than a need to know basis. I'm sure others don't see themselves doing it with me. Me? I wouldn't mind it, but I'm certainly not going to beg for it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I've taken out offbeat before at GVN, and also master at the second combine. If that makes me anywhere near high level, I can safely say I never really had a problem with you.

Some people did, yea. I mean you did have your Lopedo persona, it wasn't exactly non-abrasive lol.

Then again, some people had/have problems with me too. Particularly Master. I don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment of tournaments. In fact as much as I dislike DOA 4, the best times I ever had were at tournaments. I had more fun in a good tournament environment than I did with the game itself. You don't have to like everyone there to get something out of it, just enough to be comfortable and have a good time.

and if nobody wants to reconcile with you, you can always chill with me.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
While I believe that everybody is cool AT the event and I don't have any doubt it's a blast, my desire to go to one still isn't there. Half the fun is the journey, the other is the people. I think we've all done a thing or two in our time here that would call for an apology from somebody or another.
I apologize for calling you old.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Honestly man I've never had that issue at a tourney (except with maybe rabies, once or twice, and that kid is always on some kind of a hilarious high).

That's what we call high on life, bro.

Otherwise known as Jenkem.
thumbs_066063-rounded-glossy-black-icon-people-things-baby.png

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
First time I met the kid, it was bawls.

No seriously, he downed like 3 of the fuckin things. He's not exactly heavyset either, that much caffeine he couldnt sit down. Was tweaking out and jumping up and down and shit during his matches. It was pretty hilarious.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I don't know, man. Every community has it's own screwball.

I'll have THREE COFFEES, Zeus gave me this body and I'm gonna abuse the hell out of it.
thumbs_066063-rounded-glossy-black-icon-people-things-baby.png

Arnell Long

Ouch bro, "fuck" my home State, um, what did the entirety of Texas do for you to say some shit like that?

And Lopedo, good read up there bro, all should take a look at that and find all the answers they need about DOA in the Tournament scene.

Lol Awesmic, "Alexis Texas"...^_*

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The problem is the anonymity of being online. People tend to say things that they would never dare to say in person. This is why offline is the polar opposite. People get to see the real you and not the moniker. Just like what Rikuto said, the last tournament we went to was more of a social gathering. It was a lot of fun.

MASTER

Standard Donor
For the record i have nothing against you Lopedo. If you want to talk just hit me up on xbox or aim. I don't get on xbox as often as before but if you catch me on their send me an invite. I know we've had our differences in the past but shoot we've been playing each other for a looooong time. Last time i saw you was online in a public room with a friend of yours but he wouldn't shut up and i really couldn't talk to you except through text. Hit me up though if you want to chat.

(i didn't burn anyone, smh)

MASTER
:hayabusa:

lopedo

Your friend list is full. I don't have a problem with your playing, or you for that matter. Some things you did were very questionable in my eyes. Back on DOA:U, before all of this offline thing and everything we played nearly every day. Then you became a recognized offline player and it was no longer relevant who or what had skill, all that mattered is that you play offline, making you amazing. It also didn't help that there were 5 people at an event and you kept winning.

I understand evolution, and I'm happy for you and everything you've done offline. Abandoning your roots as an online player and spitting on everybody who you played (read: TRAINED WITH) with though is abysmal. I think we both know if I would have shown up at one of the tourneys your win wouldn't come as easy, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD