Why it’s worth (and the best time) to learn DOA with an Arcade Stick?

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I have used stick up to this point in DOA5LR, despite my buddy who got me into the game claiming it's impossible. I hate how the DOA feels on a regular controller. But I just think I really hate the PS4 controller for fighting games in general. Personal thing though, some of the best players in many fighting games all use basic pads. I've now switched for DOA5LR to the Hori Fight Pad, which feels pretty good. It's hard relearning all the muscle memory though.
Smart ;)

MegaMegaMike

Actually its the opposite... Fighting Games that have low execution barriers are still the exception... not the norm. And so the best players are still using Arcade Sticks...

Also the Higher the execution barrier for a Particular Game... the more likely its top players likely to be Japanese.
I was meaning people like Nuckledu, Smug, Speedkicks, Pling, SonicFox, and several others using PS4 pad (360 in Smug's case) and them being excellent at their game. The type of controller that is best is the one that best fits your personal needs.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I may consider on trying out the Mixbox:
imgpro_5318_3_2_2.gif

Seen a lot of Guilty Gear, Tekken, DBFZ players using it.

Lulu

I was meaning people like Nuckledu, Smug, Speedkicks, Pling, SonicFox, and several others using PS4 pad (360 in Smug's case) and them being excellent at their game. The type of controller that is best is the one that best fits your personal needs.

Phenom also uses a 360 Controller. Both him and smug must have some seriously mutated hands to prefer that controller specifically... its so bad... not just in terms of ergonomics... after I got my fight pad I found the 360 Controller has lingering inputs... if you tap a button the controller will relay that input to the system slightly longer than how you inputted it... its very small... but in DoA's case it makes it super difficulty to perform Akira's JFK... I mean... I honestly can't recommend this controller... One would be better of on Keyboard.

Still though... doesn't change the fact that Stick players are right up there with NuckleDu and MenaRD... most notably Tokido, Daigo, Justin Wong, Fujimura, Fuudo, Verloran, NL, Sakonoko and many others... don't even get me started on other games... Guilty Gear and BlazBlue being the worst offenders. :eek:

You know whats funny ?
I've never seen anyone in Grand Finals with a Hitbox... hmmm... you'd think it would have happened more frequently by now.

imgpro_5318_3_2_2.gif

I don't get the Mixbox...o_O... I feel like its outclassed by the Hitbox in everyway. Its one advantage being that the position of the up button is easy for most players to wrap their heads a round... but switching between up and down won't be as efficient as it is on Hitbox because you now have to dedicated one finger to two buttons.

Unless if people are using a finger placement I'm not familiar with... Hmmmm....

Barrogh

*pic*
I... Wow.
That sounds like a great solution for me since when I'm home I play using KB. This would allow me to actually travel and play on any platform without re-learning much.

That said, there are some things I've learned:

Layout of these directional buttons could be good simply because people may be used to it. Otherwise it's not optimal for the reason @Lulu has mentioned. When I was trying myself at Guilty Gear I had to re-assign keys on my KB to a more hitbox-style layout simply to cope with diagonal super-jumps (down, up while holding left or right). Perhaps, "WASD-like" layout can be viable (although a 3D FG makes it harder to get used to how your "up" button is mapped than 2D does), but keys must have specific shape allowing you to easily slide from a button being held to another one. That's not what most devices allow to do easily enough, and looking at your picture, neither does that one (although that depends; if "down" button doesn't sink too deep when pressed, it could work well - "up" one is shorter, and I guess that's for that very reason).

It is especially felt when you need to use a lot of circular motions that involve "up". It matters in a game like DoA that likes sophisticated inputs for the sake of it.

But then again, DoA5 was quite uncaring to any keyboard/hitbox user. Directional input timings were relatively strict, there were only so many diagonal inputs you could drop, and some characters were constantly peppering you with pointless 360, so... While hitbox layout makes all of that easier to overcome, it still feels more natural to use analog controller for that.

Which, of course, requires even more time to retrain for...

d3v

The problem with the OP is that it assumes that the arcade version is going to be brought outside Japan, and will somehow be the version everyone competes in.

This is highly unlikely to be the case. Even if we do see it brought over in some form, people are still going to compete in the home versions, as organizing around them (especially console) is much easier.

Fantailler

DOA is not execution heavy.I see nothing in it that requires an arcade stick honestly, unless you're playing in arcades.

It's more a matter of taste, and if you're not used to it, the transition will probably take a month or two...

Don't get me wrong,i'm an arcade stick user,but mapping G/P/K to square/triangle/circle, on DS3, is more than enough if you want that piano style/arcade stick gameplay.

That's how i play VF and and it's more than enough.You have access to everything plus the precison of the D-pad...Minus the noise that wakes up everybody in your neighborhood :)

I use my DS3 normally with DOA and i never felt limited or at disadvantage in any way.

Just frame ? Nope
Plinking ? Nope
Strict Buffering ? Nope
1frame Knee ? Nope
360 ? Nope
Raging demon ? Nope
EWGF ? Nope
Wave dash ? Nope
SE ? Nope

Why even bother ?

Last edited:

Lulu

Just frame ? Nope
Plinking ? Nope
Strict Buffering ? Nope
1frame Knee ? Nope
360 ? Nope
Raging demon ? Nope
EWGF ? Nope
Wave dash ? Nope
SE ? Nope

Why even bother ?

Actually apparently Raido was teased during the NiCO Trailer... so EWGF might still be on the table. And with Helena & Hayabusa already confirmed then I expect to see while rising and while crouching commands return to stymie us in the Combo Challenges.

Make no mistake... no long running fighting game series has ever gone fully accessible. Change is just not something this genre does particularly well... DoA is no exception. As excited as I am for DoA6 It wouldn't surprise me if they stuck in one or two arbitrarily difficult techniques just for kicks... after all, what fighting game doesn't do this ?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The only problem I have with arcade sticks is the noise they make as your opponent can hear them at a tournament since you're normally sitting next to each other. Doesn't happen if you're in a head to head cab at an arcade though.

Lulu

Speaking of Noise... do those noise dampening buttons work ?

And if so... to what extent ?

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Speaking from my experience, I play DOA on pad because it's what I'm comfortable with. I've tried DOA on stick. I have 4 sticks right now total (use a stick to play other games on them). I can use it to play DOA, but the input reaching on me feels awkward since I'm always playing the titles on pads. I'm probably going to learn both methods on 6, but I said if you're more comfortable with a pad, then don't go for broke just to get a stick.

If you plan on getting a stick, you'll need to be committed to playing with one. It's well-worth the investment once you get one. It does help your execution & can make your fingers quick to react. That's the main reason why I got one besides smoother directional motions in certain games. Like I feel like a badass (admittedly) whenever I use one because they're so cool to have & it lets me know when & where I started with fighting games.

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I say buy a stick for the simple reason that the stick will outlast the console generation and it is much easier to fix when or IF it breaks. Ive seen people go thrugh 3-4 pads playing street fighter. Meanwhile I have my first stick from 05/06 that works as well as it did back then.

Last edited:

Lulu

I'm guessing that would make Playing Pai Chan harder because she requires more APM than anyone :eek:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I mean you'll never know unless you try, but you get what you put into them. They take some time to learn, but once you do, it's a great feeling. You might not use it for DOA, but there's other games that have execution to which you might want to use a stick. I know people who play DOA on stick (Besides Sorwah & Destruction Bomb), who are really good at the game in them.

I'm just saying to people who want to try it that they have to give themselves time & not get impatient with them or they'll be ready to take it back because they feel like it's a waste of time.

Another thing you have to consider is hand & lap space. Do you want your hands to be up on the stick or hanging off the edge? Do you want strong padding or padding that might slide back & forward in your lap? Usually a really good stick is pricey. The Hori RAPN is the best one to start with besides the Qanba Crystal imo. I have a Qanba Obsidian, which is one of the best sticks out besides the Razer Panthera sticks & then the Hori Fighting Edge & RAPN.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD