Why should DOA5 NOT have a 6-Point Hold system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Like everyone else here?
"Oh, I guess maybe, if you wanted, you could maybe change this thing a little bit but if you don't then that's okay too..." Yup, that'll get the game fixed!

Look at the MK community, they grouped together when Ed Boon and co reached out to the community in order to make a viable tournament worthy game.
Well when Team Ninja decides to reach out to the community in order to make a viable tournament worthy game, you let me know, okay?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well when Team Ninja decides to reach out to the community in order to make a viable tournament worthy game, you let me know, okay?

They did. Every single one of us keeps telling you that they did, but its like you're just ignoring that :/ They aren't ready to move in on every single change we want yet because they are not 100% confident it wouldn't negatively affect a good portion of the fanbase. If DOA 5 does well it will prove that listening to us was the right decision, and we will likely get more of the changes we want in the future.

You have to view this from their angle once in a while and stop being so damn unreasonable about everything.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I haven't seen them reach out to anyone. Of course the changes we want would alienate some players. If you've made so many games where 99% of the player base is scrubs, if you make a game that'll require you to think in order to win, of course you'll alienate some players. The reason I'm still being so negative isn't because I'm unreasonable, it's because I don't feel the game will do well because it's half-assed for the reason just mentioned. It's too late at this point to make any significant changes at this point. Even E3 was pushing it... I just really want them to sit down with some knowledgeable players when it comes to start planning for DOA6 at this point.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I haven't seen them reach out to anyone. Of course the changes we want would alienate some players. If you've made so many games where 99% of the player base is scrubs, if you make a game that'll require you to think in order to win, of course you'll alienate some players. The reason I'm still being so negative isn't because I'm unreasonable, it's because I don't feel the game will do well because it's half-assed for the reason just mentioned. It's too late at this point to make any significant changes at this point. Even E3 was pushing it... I just really want them to sit down with some knowledgeable players when it comes to start planning for DOA6 at this point.

You haven't seen them reach other to us because you've been purposely ignoring every positive change that gets made.

But at what point did you ever play DOA well enough to determine whether or not the changes made are effective? Studying what makes a game good on paper is one thing, but actually playing it is another. Nearly everyone besides Manny who was top or near top at DOA 4 was able to move on to other games and do very well for themselves.

These players are all telling you that DOA 5 is looking great while you continue to dump on it. The stuff you are repeating is known, but it isn't helping anyone. It's just spreading negative vibes towards what looks to be a really good game.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
You haven't seen them reach other to us because you've been purposely ignoring every positive change that gets made.
I'm not. A dash of a positive change here or there into a mess of a game is what I would consider "half-assed."

But at what point did you ever play DOA well enough to determine whether or not the changes made are effective?
DOA4 was supposed to be the game that I was going to start training in and being a better player. It turned out to be a terrible game and I didn't like it so that put things off for years.

The stuff you are repeating is known, but it isn't helping anyone. It's just spreading negative vibes towards what looks to be a really good game.
They're all the same points you've made at one point or another. It's positive when you do it and it's negative when I do?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It isn't a "dash" though. This is what keeps escaping you.

The entire game has changed due to the unholdable stun situation combined with the damage you can pull off from combos at this moment. When I introduce criticism to the table, I say very bluntly how I feel about a particular aspect so it is known how it can be improved in the future.

What I don't do is beat the horse dead and say the game is going to be a failure because something wasn't already fixed, then go traveling onto other websites where new potential players are skeptical and try to convince them that its going to be a complete waste of their time.

You do that.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Which is not a very good look on us as representitives of the game, and the community that we are in. We will never gain any support trashing our own game, while telling other communities to not even bother. It is better to just sit it out and let those who are more in the know about the technical details of the game sort it out. These are the players who would know how to properly acess such changes and their application to tournament play.

Chris Harris

We seriously need to move on from trying to convince people who are overly negative especially when the game isn't out. Let's move forward and focus on what WE (the community) need to do as a whole to move forward. People that have made up their mind aren't lost causes but they are wastes of our time and resources.These kinds of people can't be swayed no matter what because no matter what you say it's just not good enough. It's pretty much their way or the highway.

Like say your piece and let it go. Then we can just move forward and not worry about all this negative stuff. The majority likes the place the game is at (for the most part) but still can see some possible changes to make it better. However at least it's not going backwards like it was before.

Come on guys end it now.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
It is best that we do move beyond this, and put our best foot(feet) forward. We have more important things to accomplish. Consider this thread closed.

Chapstick

Curious how people would feel about a 6 point hold system.

:7::h: Upper P
:4::h: Mid P
:1::h: Lower P

Then the reverse directions would be kicks like :6::h: is now.

Parries would get a different command input like :3::3::h: and :9::9::h: or :8::h: and :2::h: .

It would be harder for people who throw out holds randomly to successfully land them, meaning players might be more careful about holding and study the opponent's patterns. I will admit I do like the convenience of a 4 point hold system but would be open to 6.

synce

That sounds like a death wish for DOA, way too complicated for most people to get into and too much guessing... I think it'd be a lot more popuar if they went 2 point with severely reduced damage and window, basically high/mid parry and low parry. Grapplers can have advanced holds but damage would be relatively low

Chapstick

That sounds like a death wish for DOA, way too complicated for most people to get into and too much guessing... I think it'd be a lot more popuar if they went 2 point with severely reduced damage and window, basically high/mid parry and low parry. Grapplers can have advanced holds but damage would be relatively low
I like the idea of holds doing the same amount of damage as the strikes they're countering, with the exception of combo holds. 10 damage strikes getting hi countered for 60+ damage.. I know that's how DOA's always been but holds can get ridiculous in strength.

ScattereDreams

I'm with synce. It'll over complicate the hold system for some and with DOA being a stun heavy game, it'll only continue to further reward guessing even more. I wouldn't mind 3 point holds with strict timing like Synce said (well he said 2 point). The argument of what type of holds DOA should have has been ongoing. I think until we can all agree on something it should stay where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD