Why was DOA4 so much more complete than DOA5?

WebHead

DOA4 felt like a complete package. Everything was done perfectly. They NAILED the online in the year 2006. You see ultra street fighter 4 coming out this year is finally doing TEAM BATTLE the right way, the ONLY WAY! An actual team effort where 1 goes in, takes out a guy while receiving damage, same damage remains on said kid.

remember MVC3? you couldnt even spectate a god damn lobby match for christs sake, you could only see lifebars.

DOA5's online is trash. No ranked lobbies = less replay value.

I can never find someone in ranked unless I'm willing to wait 5 minutes and its not even fun. I'm assuming the rank system is the "call of duty" rank system when you see all these kids running around with "ruby" ranks. Those kids are in no way shape or form an S or SS rank from DOA4.

In doa4 if you had an S rank that meant you lose maybe once every 10 matches. An SS meant you lose once every 20 matches. It meant you barely lost at all because 1 lost was -1000 points.

that rank system summed up peoples TRUE SKILL perfectly in those letter grades. An A- PLAYED LIKE AN A- an A played like an A (a TRYHARD), and then there were the 50 000 A+'s, who knew a little of what they were doing and then the 70 000 A+'s who could beat most A+ players but still lost to other good A+ ranks.

Remember all the little things DOA4 had? They made all the difference in the world

-an avatar lobby with hundreds of avatars (literally hundreds of creative avatars that took TIME to make)
-the little streak icons
-all of the intro and outro poses. (exclusive outros for both great and greatest, if you had a giant win streak your character would have a rare intro that showed you were serious business)
-able to move the camera after a win for added taunting
-stair animation moves
-special text icons in the lobby
-and a shit load more that i forget

they took a shit load of time on the game. DOA5 feels so incomplete. They ruined it by rushing it, it feels so tainted. I cant see it in the same light that I see DOA4 in. Time and and extra effort was put in DOA4, they went the extra mile with everything, I wonder if this was itgakis work.

Remember they said they werent putting an avatar lobby in DOA5 because it caused "lag". DOA5 lags worse than DOA4.

The avatar lobby was great, they just didnt have the time or money to put it in 5.

DOA5 is good, but until they put in a ranked lobby system, DOA4 will always be better.

Kronin

-all of the intro and outro poses. (exclusive outros for both great and greatest, if you had a giant win streak your character would have a rare intro that showed you were serious business)

What? It's this true, there were secret intros for the characters?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
What? It's this true, there were secret intros for the characters?
This is true. A unique intro that would otherwise be seen in the story mode does pop up after a 12 win streak.

But it doesn't change the fact the rest of WebHead's post is no less web-headed. Dead or Alive 4 was not only rushed, it went through unnecessary changes to the system that would've made it competitively viable in the long run going by the X05 build. Dead or Alive 5 by comparison took the time to listen to the competitive players on how to make it more viable for offline tournaments, and, while not perfect, it was more successful in that right, as it generated better turnouts for major grassroots tournies as opposed to sponsored ones with questionable rulesets. Moreover, there were still ways to cheat the ranking system even with ranked lobbies, and most players who know better don't even take the ranking system all that serious to begin with, much less as a means of determining one's skill.

Even if this is a troll topic, it's in poor taste. I can't defend or sympathize with anything being said in the OP, nor would I recommend anyone to take the time to do so... and this is coming from someone who usually does. He fucked up the moment he mentioned bringing back online ranked lobbies, determining "true skill" by letter grades (once again) and using terms like "try-hard", which is something only scrubs love to say to justify their "superiority" over one who beats them a certain way.

Add to it the fact this guy has a history of loving to spread gossip and lies about people in an attempt to cause wanton discord (including me), and you got someone with a bad reputation that no one should take seriously.

WebHead

that rank system was a true masterpiece. it didnt matter if people could boost. An A- could boost to SS in 2 hours but since he's trash he'd lose it in 1 hour. thats why it was a masterpiece because it showed your true skill. This new rank system doesnt show true skill, its all fake garbage.

I could play DOA4 for hours. These days I put in DOA5, look for a lobby with kids that will give a challenge (barely any) and then wait in line for laggy match then I shut off my xbox. There's no replay value here. In doa4 I would wait in line in a lobby with all A+ players and It would be worth the wait to try and win as many as I could and gain as many points as I could.

this is garbage online.

league of legends is the new DOA4, good challenging competitive multiplayer gameplay with a rank system thats hard to climb.

Seppu

the only thing i didn't like about doa 4's ranking system is that whenever somebody quit on me, which was surprisingly often, i didn't get my well deserved points and zack dollars. i was devastated :(

the avatar lobbies were really fun and unique though. i was pretty much addicted to collecting every little item and avatar, and still didn't manage it regardless of playing from day 1 (i played doa 4 almost exclusively until doa 5's release).

i spent a lot of time in the lobbies and met a lot of interesting people i wouldn't usually talk to, some of which i'm still friends with today~

o_YUE_o

that rank system was a true masterpiece. this is garbage online.
Kokoyin Sig smaller.png

Darkton93

I think I can see what's up with this guy. DOA4 is a more complete game... to a casual player. However, this forum is more of a pro forum, so I honestly don't know what he's doing here... or what I'm doing here.

To the OP, I suggest you be careful where you post. Word of advice from a fellow casual, I tend to stay out of the System forums.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Did Awesmic get an alt?

Darkton, everyone is welcome here as long as they have an interest in bettering themselves at the game. Don't try and discourage people from participating with that dumb logic.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
The avatar lobbies were cool, but were ultimately pointless since you couldn't actually use them while waiting in line. The real pro to DOA4's online over DOA5's was that there only were lobbies. No community splitting with ranked match and lobby match being separate things.

But that's online crap. When it comes to the offline stuff that actually matters, the only thing about DOA4 that I prefer over DOA5 is that I could actually play as my main in DOA4. Even if he was utter garbage and completely nonviable.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Features:

DOA4
Very complete roster
Pretty good music
Co-op tag mode
Ranked lobbies (I guess, but honestly I like the modern system better for various reasons)

DOA5
More costumes
Even more costumes through DLC
More stages
Better game mechanics
New characters
Way more guest characters
Detailed frame and move information and settings in the training mode
Titles for long-term replay value (3k online wins for each character should keep you busy for a while)
Ranked mode, Quick Match mode, and lobbies
Throwdowns

DOA5+
Gravure mode (lol)

DOA5U
Even more costumes
Even more costumes through more DLC
Even more stages
Even more stages through DLC
An almost complete roster (sans some boss characters)
Even more characters through DLC (Marie Rose in the future)
Excellent music with the ability to customize music from DOA2, 3 and 4
Co-op tag mode
A very extensive and thorough tutorial mode that teaches the game's mechanics
Even more detailed frame and move information and settings in the training mode
Combo Challenges (if you care about that sort of thing)
Even more titles for long-term replay value
Some improved gameplay elements
Victory pose and defeat pose viewer
Cutscene viewer

So, DOA4 is more complete you say? With more features?
I say "no."

David Gregg

The only thing I liked more about 4 compared to 5 was the stages (although 5U beat 4 with Lorelei, Forest, and Lost World) and stair animation moves. Don't get me wrong, 4 was a decent game (it's what got me started playing DOA so I won't diss it) but it's almost 10 years old and it's time to move on. 5U has made significant improvement to the series and reverting back to a 4 format would be taking 10 steps back.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I never got to play DOA4, sadly. However, DOA5U is a very solid game and has a lot of great features that make it fun for both casuals and pros alike. I feel that DOA5U feels very complete and I like that TN is listening to the community to help make the game better.

Argentus

Bringing back DOA music with 5U made a world of difference, in terms of making it more "complete".

That said, I thought the avatar lobbies of 2 and 4 would have been cool...if you could actually use them. But nope, once you q'd up, all you could do was sit in the regular matchmaking lobby. So I only ever saw avatar lobbies for a total of 2 minutes across 9 years because I just joined and Q'd up.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD