Characters Why you don't play with Jann Lee?

Eks

Play Yakuza
Premium Donor
There are some Jann Lee players here. Just a few are not active really on the site. Players I know that play him are Ryujin, Zakkurye, Nereus, eks2009, Zanistor, and of course me. Dat_Drownin_MaN also plays him but he not on this site.
Dat_Drownin_MaN needs to get on this site. His Jann Lee is top notch.
Chibi_Jann_Lee_by_Nick_Kazama.jpg

Brute

Standard Donor
Jann Lee's been nerfed, but still not as much as some other characters have who are played more often. I definitely don't think it's his tier placement that is responsible for his decline in popularity. And there has definitely been a decline, imo. In vanilla he was much more popular, at least in my experience.

For me personally, the biggest thing is that I don't like his throws. I like cool throws, hence why I typically play grappler characters.

Also, his new VA kinda annoys me.

Gurimmjaw

Jann Lee's been nerfed, but still not as much as some other characters have who are played more often. I definitely don't think it's his tier placement that is responsible for his decline in popularity. And there has definitely been a decline, imo. In vanilla he was much more popular, at least in my experience.

For me personally, the biggest thing is that I don't like his throws. I like cool throws, hence why I typically play grappler characters.

Also, his new VA kinda annoys me.

Yeah he hasn't been nerfed as bad as characters like Mila and Hayate but hes still solid. There are quite a bit that still use him.

His throws arent that great looking but the best one he has is dragon gunner but technically if you look at it doesnt seem like a throw.

And gotta agree his VA is annoying but you get used to it after awhile.

Zanistor

I actually enjoy his english VA a little, and his bitch-slap throw and way of the dragon are da bomb diggity. But I've also noticed the general decline in wa-tahhhhh's I see online. As far as the dead forums, the only thing we could probably add more to is his matchups. Also I did not know Zakkurye was a JL main, he kicked my ass today with someone else T_T

Gurimmjaw

Oh his English VA is awesome. Much better than his japanese one. It why I use the english voices.

Also we could add more than just that like tech and other stuff but since no one will read it anyway whats the point? :/
I just usually discuss the stuff with Ryujin.

Zanistor

I suppose the point would be for us who already use him I guess lol, there's still probably a fair amount I don't know yet, but I figured if we had better details on his matchups, maybe non- JL's might be more enticed to play him, as we really don't have that much detail on it aside from your post of his MU vs Zack and Rachel. Like we have numbers but we haven't explained them unless I looked over it of course.

Gurimmjaw

Yeah much is still to be discovered and going under JL's options against the others but that takes sometime. I have some tech that I found recently, but we can get the JL forums going again. I want to make a new JL combo thread cause the one he has now is out of place and not organized like the ones for Kasumi.

Zanistor

Yeah much is still to be discovered and going under JL's options against the others but that takes sometime. I have some tech that I found recently, but we can get the JL forums going again. I want to make a new JL combo thread cause the one he has now is out of place and not organized like the ones for Kasumi.
I am behind this, and I can contribute what scattered knowledge I have lol

Awesmic

Standard Donor
It seems that at least in this forum, almost no one play with him, his forum is probable the most inactive here. So I have throw a question: Why you guys don't like to play with him? I heard a lot of things from him, some people say his overpowered and others say he is unplayable or even worse things.
He's not Christie. Furthermore, I can't relate with him as I do my character of choice. At least with Christie, I'm reminded of the ideal woman I looked up to IRL, my babysitter.

With Jann Lee, I can't really relate with him because I wasn't an orphan, and I wasn't that immersed in martial arts through watching old kung fu flicks. However, I do occasionally have a girl or two stalking me in DOA lobbies every once in a while... but that is not enough.

I will say this though, I like Jann Lee as a character nonetheless. I dunno if it's the fact he's voiced by Piccolo or the fact there's so much they can do to expand on his backstory and connect it directly to DOATEC/MIST, but I think they can do so much more than make him a gradual love interest of Leifang... or Rig, for that matter.

Zanistor

I dunno if it's the fact he's voiced by Piccolo or the fact there's so much they can do to expand on his backstory and connect it directly to DOATEC/MIST, but I think they can do so much more than make him a gradual love interest of Leifang... or Rig, for that matter.
Yeah someone who can 2-hit kill a T-Rex deserves a bit more storyline to himself than an obsessive stalker and a grudge with Rig (even though he won DOA5).

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Yeah someone who can 2-hit kill a T-Rex deserves a bit more storyline to himself than an obsessive stalker and a grudge with Rig (even though he won DOA5).
Maybe MIST can use Jann Lee's victory to their advantage and give him incentive by not only giving him a second shot at defeating Rig, but finding his parents. Remember, according to official sources, Jann Lee has never seen his parents in the flesh since his birth, and were only assumed to be dead.

Brute

Standard Donor
Jann Lee's character is based around the idea that he's single-track minded. That's why he never takes up Leifang on that romantic interest she obviously has in him (that or he's gay, which is a possibility, too). But to make him start caring about things other than "the fight" betrays what the character has been about since the beginning.
So there are two ways you can "give him more."
1) Give him accomplishments. Make what he does significant and respected both by himself and other characters. He wins DOA5 and basically every fight he partakes in, save Rig (who is powerful enough to stand toe-to-toe with the ninjas, the canon top-tier). So they've already started trying to do this.
2) Betray what makes Jann Lee Jann Lee and reinvent the character to be more generic, having multi-faceted interests and things that he can pursue/accomplish other than strictly fighting strong warriors.

Zanistor

Jann Lee's character is based around the idea that he's single-track minded. That's why he never takes up Leifang on that romantic interest she obviously has in him (that or he's gay, which is a possibility, too). But to make him start caring about things other than "the fight" betrays what the character has been about since the beginning.
So there are two ways you can "give him more."
1) Give him accomplishments. Make what he does significant and respected both by himself and other characters. He wins DOA5 and basically every fight he partakes in, save Rig (who is powerful enough to stand toe-to-toe with the ninjas, the canon top-tier). So they've already started trying to do this.
2) Betray what makes Jann Lee Jann Lee and reinvent the character to be more generic, having multi-faceted interests and things that he can pursue/accomplish other than strictly fighting strong warriors.
You raise excellent points, and I am looking forward to the Rig rematch.

Shabozz

There are quite a few who uses him still, but good choice to see someone using Jann Lee.

thanks finally sitting down to get back in it and catch up. I played DOA5 then took a big break and trying to get back in. Haven't really found a main but i think I'm going back to him.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD