Yosuke Hayashi, "This game is complete now"

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
SPOnG: You’ve been the head of Team Ninja for a couple of years now. There was a lot of uncertainty during the period of Itagaki-san’s departure. Has that changed? What’s the morale like at the studio now?

Yosuke Hayashi: This game is complete now, and the team feels a great sense of achievement from that. It would be nice to see consumers play it and for us to hear their thoughts. If they think it has improved from Dead or Alive games of the past that would really please me - I personally feel that we have created a great game.

In terms of atmosphere in the studio, I feel that you get an idea for the studio’s morale when you play the fruits of their labour. So yes, the atmosphere at Team Ninja right now is excellent, I’d say.

-----
Fighting games must seem a lot like buses to Nintendo. It has waited patiently for a proper brawler to appear on any of its systems, and now with the advent of the 3DS we’re seeing support from two of the genre’s biggest players from the off.

Capcom’s Street Fighter IV arrived at launch, and soon we’ll be seeing Team Ninja’s Dead or Alive franchise join it on store shelves.

But Dead or Alive Dimensions isn’t being treated as a sequel, or even a glorified port like Capcom’s offering was. Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi instead likens the game to more of a ‘reboot,’ or at the very least a ‘best of compilation’ from past years. With the added bonus of StreetPass and WiFi Connection, of course.

From there, we had a chat about the challenges in making Dead or Alive Dimensions, the atmosphere within the studio since Tomonobu Itagaki’s departure and the state of the Japanese game industry in general. Read on for some candid insight.

SPOnG: Dead or Alive Dimensions is a reboot of the fighting franchise - why did you decide to do this, rather than continue the series in a traditional manner?

Yosuke Hayashi: It’s been five years since Dead or Alive 4 - that’s a long time for fans, so we wanted to make a game where players could get into the swing of things smoothly and without any unfamiliarity.

But, even if we did say that this was the next true Dead or Alive title, there are still many people who have never played the series before. We wanted to introduce the franchise’s history and its characters to new players.

So, there are two audiences for this game, really - the fans who have never played Dead or Alive before, and those who have - for the latter group, we felt that keeping a record of the franchise’s history we could make a ‘best of’ collection, like how musicians have with CDs, to satisfy these players too.

SPOnG: It’s the first Dead or Alive game on a Nintendo platform. What has prevented you from doing so before, on the Gamecube or Wii for example? Was there something special about 3DS?

Yosuke Hayashi: We didn’t choose the 3DS simply because it was a Nintendo product and we needed to check a box, but rather we saw a lot of potential in the handheld. The wireless connectivity was one of the big advantages for us, and along with the high specs and the obvious 3D capabilities we felt this was a good console to release a fighting game on.

SPOnG: What did you learn whilst developing with 3D technology?

Yosuke Hayashi: It’s a bit like watching the 3D film Avatar… when you first watch the trailers, you just see a blue… thing on the screen. You kind of think ‘what is that?’ But as you watch the film, people all around the world felt closer to these characters because of the 3D effect.

Developing Dead or Alive Dimensions has had the same effect on our team - we felt like the characters were more substantial, and there’s more of a connection with the player. Because of that, making this game was a lot of fun.

SPOnG: When Nintendo first showcased the 3DS, one of the big gameplay advantages of it would be to allow players to better determine depth in 3D space. When developing a game with that in mind, does that have an impact on your design process?

Yosuke Hayashi: Yes, we couldn’t have just taken the 3D and simply added it to our game. We had to adjust our designs and development to accommodate the technology, and we had to tweak the 3D capabilities as well. We learned that some people were complaining about becoming tired when using the 3DS for a long time, so what we really put our effort into was creating a game which is easier to play and easier on the eyes.

SPOnG: How challenging is it to create a fighting game, with all the nuances that you’re used on in arcade and console development, on a portable like 3DS?

Yosuke Hayashi: Fighting games differ from other games due to the interaction between people. In the arcades you meet people in the area and fight them - meeting new people is a key element of fighting games. With 3DS you can connect to the internet and play with other people, or you can meet new friends using StreetPass and due to its portability. So, in that sense 3DS was a really fitting device for a Dead or Alive game.

SPOnG: There have been spinoffs in Xtreme Volleyball and Paradise. It could be said that these games have helped in making the franchise seem overly voyeuristic and lacking in substance. Was that a concern for you when you took over Team Ninja and began work on Dead or Alive Dimensions?

Yosuke Hayashi: The spinoffs came as a result of the core Dead or Alive games, but I think it’s a shame that in the past few years we have only been able to develop these spinoff titles.

The main identity of Dead or Alive is fighting, but of course women are also an important aspect, so we will continue that element of the series in the future. Even though this is a reboot, we will still be taking that aspect of the franchise with us.

SPOnG: What has your personal experience been with the effects of the 3DS? In this country in particular the media has picked up on reports that it apparently messes up your eyesight and gives you headaches. What are your thoughts on that, going by your own experiences with the handheld?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yosuke Hayashi: New entertainment mediums are always subject to criticism from society. When I was a child, it was said that if you played games you would become stupid (laughs). But the gaming world has overcome this, and we are here today with a thriving industry.

So, this criticism that the 3DS is bad for the eyes... that proves that this is also a new technology that is surprising the world, and that sensational reaction in media is something that the industry will have to overcome here, just like we did before. From this, there will definitely be more entertainment born like it.

SPOnG: From a developer’s perspective, is 3D something you’d like to work on in the future, say the PlayStation 3 or another 3DS title? Can you see a new Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword game working well with the technology?

Yosuke Hayashi: This game was created with 3D specifically in mind from the start, but I think there are more possibilities yet to come with this new technology. I’m always thinking of ways to use 3D in other ways - I haven’t found an answer yet, but once I do I’d like to make it.

SPOnG: As a developer and a gamer, what has attracted you to 3D technology, specifically the 3DS, over the PlayStation 3’s stereoscopic capabilities?

Yosuke Hayashi: The 3D slider is a nice touch, being able to switch between 2D and 3D - that gives me ideas actually, perhaps for a game to include 2D elements and at times requiring to use the slider to change to 3D. Of course, there’s a big difference between 3D games on the 3DS and on the television, and we have to take that into consideration too as developers.

SPOnG: You’ve been the head of Team Ninja for a couple of years now. There was a lot of uncertainty during the period of Itagaki-san’s departure. Has that changed? What’s the morale like at the studio now?

Yosuke Hayashi: This game is complete now, and the team feels a great sense of achievement from that. It would be nice to see consumers play it and for us to hear their thoughts. If they think it has improved from Dead or Alive games of the past that would really please me - I personally feel that we have created a great game.

In terms of atmosphere in the studio, I feel that you get an idea for the studio’s morale when you play the fruits of their labour. So yes, the atmosphere at Team Ninja right now is excellent, I’d say.

SPOnG: Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive have been seen as Itagaki’s babies, so to speak, and in the past he’s been quoted as calling your work on Ninja Gaiden Sigma as inferior. Is there animosity there? What’s the relationship like, if there is one, between you guys at the moment?

Yosuke Hayashi: Well, I have been working with Itagaki-san on Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden as well, so if you use the metaphor that these games are perhaps his babies… if he is the parent who gave birth to them, then I see myself as the parent who brought them up. This is the first Dead or Alive title since his departure, and I feel that it is of a very high quality. I’m looking forward to introducing my children to the consumers.

SPOnG: What are your plans for the Dead or Alive series from here?

Yosuke Hayashi: This title has been labelled a reboot, so we have gone back to basics and we hope to have as many users as possible playing the game. We certainly don’t plan to finish the series here, but we will wait to hear feedback from players first before deciding on where we should go next with the series.

SPOnG: Where do you think Japan stands on the global gaming stage today?

Yosuke Hayashi: I got into the games industry because I love games, and I love Japanese games a lot. It really upsets me when people say ‘Oh, those games were good back in the day, but not so much anymore,’ because while I feel there are many good games being developed overseas, there are games that only the Japanese can create. I’d like to show that to the whole world, and allow them to play games that we as Japanese are really capable of.

When people say Japan is in decline with these things, they talk about the ‘old-style’ games that are being made. Titles that always contain the same gameplay style and elements throughout each iteration. Many of these ‘old-style’ games were created by a lot of Japanese developers who saw success, and now they’re stuck maintaining that same experience and can’t get out of their shell.

There are two characteristics of the Japanese - one is that they dislike change, the second is that they learn and study things very closely. We know that Western games are extremely good, so I feel that old-style developers will learn elements from the West and believe they can create games, in keeping with the old style but also accommodating new-style elements too.

SPOnG: Team Ninja has worked with Nintendo directly on Metroid: Other M. How was that experience for you and the resulting product, and would you like to do a similar collaboration in the future?

Yosuke Hayashi: We have a history of creating games that cater towards a more mature audience, so when we make projects we’re always thinking of how to stimulate feelings through violence.

But this experience in creating Metroid with Nintendo, this was different - we learnt about using emotions and delicate feelings to push a story and create the atmosphere.

Sakamoto-san, who was also part of the team, had put much emphasis on the delicate side of people’s feelings, and that was a great learning curve for me. I’d like to take more of these aspects into consideration in development and create games that are more diverse in people’s feelings, not just violence.

SPOnG: You’ve mentioned in the past that you’d like to make games more accessible without trying to get rid of the hardcore elements that Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive have within them. How challenging is it to make that balance work?

Yosuke Hayashi: What’s important when developing games is how exciting we can make the game. The reason why there are old-style games repeatedly being created is because developers are just doing what worked in the past and that’s where we’re going wrong. We have to create games that we ourselves feel are fun, regardless of what worked in the past.

SPOnG: Thank you very much for your time.

Yosuke Hayashi: Thank you very much.

Dead or Alive Dimensions is hitting the Nintendo 3DS on 20th May.
http://spong.com/feature/10110385/Interview-Team-Ninjas-Head-Yosuke-Hayashiby Svend Joscelyne

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If it's anything like previous DOAs, it will lower the framerate as the lag increases to avoid using input delay lag.

But at its core, the game runs at 60 fps with 3D disabled, and 30 fps with 3D enabled.

Skilletor

I know this, but SSF4 runs at 60fps with 3d disabled, but 30fps online even with 3d disabled. I'm wondering if they'll do something similar for DoA.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD