Comparing my DOA and Killer Instinct experiences

RH_Stealth

I've been playing DOA since late January of last year. I've been playing Killer Instinct since late August of last year. So, I've had quite a bit more time to play DOA than I've had to play KI.

One thing that's a little weird though, is that I feel much more confident while playing KI, and I think I'm significantly better at it.

I'm not exactly sure why, and I'm trying to figure it out. Maybe it's because DOA's 3D, maybe it's because PunchPunchPunchPunchPunch can actually be viable in DOA, maybe it's because DOA's versions of "combo breakers" (holds) are harder than KI's combo breakers, maybe it's because DOA has more characters... or maybe it's something else or a combination. I don't know for sure.

But there are times when playing DOA ,(and they're not that rare) where I'm getting destroyed and I just want to throw my hands up in the air and say "I don't know what the hell to do. I can react to all of this." (and it's not because of the connection.) Those moments don't happen often for me in KI, even though I play one character exclusively in Killer Instinct (Jago), and therefore don't have practice playing as the others.

Also, in DOA, I'm one of those people who rarely blocks low, but in KI I never have a problem with blocking low. I can react to lows with a clear head in KI. It comes naturally. But for some reason in DOA it just doesn't happen.

All of this almost makes me tempted to drop DOA, as I feel that I've made more progress in KI even though I've played KI for a significantly shorter time. I haven't even had any "mentors" in KI like I had in DOA with people right here from FSD. All of my so-called KI skill development was done all by myself and for some reason yet again, I still feel like I'm better at KI.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
its quite possible honestly with my short time with KI it didn't feel like every other fighter ive played where i thought "im never going to be able to do this" quite the opposite in fact it was more like "wow i never thought those absurd combos were this easy to do" that combined with the simplified counter system, and the removal of 3D worries, and im not surprised you can pick it up easier.

that said if you enjoy DOA keep playing if you dont then drop it. if you arent having fun whats the point?

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I've been playing KI religously since november...

At first I thought ..im just gonna play it casually... Now I'm really starting to consider going all the way with it.

Even considering starting up video content..

The games incredible n gets better with each update. MY GOD Aganos looks super fun.

Netcode is superior..
Gameplay is solid.
Balance is great.
Has amazing developer support.

Honestly, I don't see a reason why you should ever stop or not dedicate more time into it.

DOA is a different beast altogether.
The fact that u put pppp as an example is equal to say someone strictly using mid attacks in KI.. its just not the right way to play... Sure, in a rare situation u may mindfuck someone n get away with it.. but hardly ever twice unless your opponent doesnt know that u can hold in stun.. its like a beginner would not know how to combobreak. You simply need alot more time to reach a comfort zone in DOA. Not to mention that the movelist is 100 times bigger for both yourcharacter and the opponent. And the fact that theres always a 3rd player ppl seem to ignore, which is the stage.. it can be either with you or against you.

At their core the games both require the same mindset. Risky offense, baiting during offense, finding the guaranteed situation and maximizing on it.

Its no wonder why DOA players feel right at home with KI.. they both have simple execution. This makes the gameplay more focused towards the mind game over the worry that there may be an execution error.

Some people find more comfort in 3D (like myself) .. whie others find it more in 2D.. just depends on your background... My first serious fighter was probably VF 1 and 2 .. eventhough ive been playing 2D since that shitty "kung fu" game.. 3D just clicked with me.. its a preference thing.

Heres my advice, if you're having fun then keep playing. Once you stop having fun, thats the queue to leave.. its the reason I quit SF4 despite being one of the top UK players at one point. I just wasn't having fun with the game anymore.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD