Dealing with projectiles

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
So I've been getting cheesed out of a lot of matches simply because of Busa's KameHameHa bs, and I don't know what to do. Side stepping doesn't working, and so far the best thing I can think of is running up and mid counter similar to oldschool DOAU Tengu fashion. That mildly works.

The only problem is if I don't make it in time and counter half way, yeah I don't take damage, but I don't really feel as rewarded cuz Busa can still attack me afterwards.

I have a similar problem with the other boss characters as well, so any tips on them? How do I get over this exactly?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Pretty much.

I would just counter pick against him by using a teleporting character such as Busa or Hayate.

Or pick genra and P+KPP him.

FakeSypha

I know that feel OP.
I usually did mid holds to evade them. I didn't have another choice while using Christie, sadly. If you're close enough the hold will actually land. I'm not saying it will work every time, but It's not like you can't see them coming (if you're far apart). Once in a while you'll get blasted, sorry. Busas that spam projectiles are carcinogenic.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Pretty much.

I would just counter pick against him by using a teleporting character such as Busa or Hayate.

Or pick genra and P+KPP him.

I don't counter pick as I am a Tina/Zach purist these days.
I know that feel OP.
I usually did mid holds to evade them. I didn't have another choice while using Christie, sadly. If you're close enough the hold will actually land. I'm not saying it will work every time, but It's not like you can't see them coming (if you're far apart). Once in a while you'll get blasted, sorry. Busas that spam projectiles are carcinogenic.

Yeah I guess there is no real way around it I suppose. Gonna have to keep dodging and what not.
I remember thinking at the time that Tengu was super bullshit with his ranged attacked, but after I figured it out it was nothing.

Codemaster92163

If you don't feel comfortable countering his projectile due to the lag experienced online, I recommend simply standing your ground when you have more health.

The good thing is that you can shake the stun it causes, which would normally guarantee a free 66K on Ryu's part. Keep your distance and now how to shake stuns, and you should be good.

If, however, you have less life, then you gotta slowly make your way towards him until you can mid counter and punish. Just trust me, though. I know the feeling of wanting to rush up and do something, but patience is a virtue when dealing with projectile-spamming turtles.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Part of the reason that I stopped playing DOAD immediately was because of the Hayabusa/Genra projectile spammers. DOA isn't supposed to have projectile attacks. Tacking them on like that, and then not adding a way to avoid them was a terrible idea. I main Tengu, who got his DOAU ranged attack back, but it sucks, so it doesn't help me beat out the better ones.

I generally despise DOAD all around, but the projectiles are easily the worst thing about it.

IceMage95

I remember when DOAD first came out there were a lot of Hayabusa spammers. Like Keylay, I used Kasumi's teleport to punish. Same with Genra's projectiles. But with other characters, it's only useful to counter the projectiles and just patiently work your way to your opponent. Luckily, I don't see as often now (mainly because I'm an S-), but I'm pretty sure there are people out there who still think the projectile spam will work.

NightAntilli

The projectiles aren't that hard to deal with. Hayabusa's is either running up and hitting before they can fully charge. If they release before they can still hit you though. What I usually do (or did) is just wait, hold the projectile so I sidestep it, and then run up to them while keeping a close eye on what they're doing. If I'm close enough I'll just attack.

As for the Genra projectile, there is only one safe way to deal with it. Learn the colors. There are three heights and three colors. Basically, when you see the color of the low one, you duck and block, and if it's either of the other two colors you can just stand and block. Between them you should have time to slowly move up close, and with the high one, you can crouch dash forward.

That being said, DOA:D is still a shit ass game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD