DOA newbie needs some help

cheeseburgering

DOA6 is my first game of the series. I played a decent amount at launch but was never very good, capping out at C rank, then took a long break from the game. I'm back at it now that costumes can be bought individually, but while I was gone the average C rank player has mastered some pretty advanced stuff (to me, at least) - really solid blocking, good timing on when to punish after a block, good counters to wakeup kicks, and proper spacing for pokes. I'm struggling pretty hard with the basics so I'm trying to understand the system and what I should be doing.

The general flow of a game tends to go like this: my opponents block a LOT, and are good at recognizing whenever I do something unsafe to punish. When they're attacking, I try to block as well but I struggle to find an opening to do the same - if I try to throw, I'll get nailed by their endless stream of attacks; if I block too long I'll get thrown; if I attack back it's kind of a crap shoot, sometimes it works but a lot of the time I just get hit harder. So a few questions...

How do you ease off the pressure when on defense? Even C ranks are creative enough with their attack strings that it's hard to tell when there's a proper pause to hit back. Should I be memorizing what every character's unsafe moves are? Cause that seems a little overwhelming for C rank, but if that's really what it takes, so be it.

It doesn't seem like anyone at this rank throws very much, and never from defense - only on offense vs too-much blocking or when they predict a hold. Aggressive attack spamming is the norm, though they're also very good at knowing when to block instead. Is trying a throw while I'm on the defensive vs someone spammy a bad idea in general, or am I just doing it wrong? Should I stick to fast strikes instead if I know they'll keep spamming?

What should my strategy be when they're blocking very well? My safe pokes don't generally cause any kind of stun or lead to a launch, so I don't really know how to get much damage out of it, or how to move from just poking to something more productive.

Thanks for the help. I'm 500 ranked matches in with a win rate of about 30%, and it's starting to feel a little hopeless.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
DOA6 is my first game of the series. I played a decent amount at launch but was never very good, capping out at C rank, then took a long break from the game. I'm back at it now that costumes can be bought individually, but while I was gone the average C rank player has mastered some pretty advanced stuff (to me, at least) - really solid blocking, good timing on when to punish after a block, good counters to wakeup kicks, and proper spacing for pokes. I'm struggling pretty hard with the basics so I'm trying to understand the system and what I should be doing.

The general flow of a game tends to go like this: my opponents block a LOT, and are good at recognizing whenever I do something unsafe to punish. When they're attacking, I try to block as well but I struggle to find an opening to do the same - if I try to throw, I'll get nailed by their endless stream of attacks; if I block too long I'll get thrown; if I attack back it's kind of a crap shoot, sometimes it works but a lot of the time I just get hit harder. So a few questions...

How do you ease off the pressure when on defense? Even C ranks are creative enough with their attack strings that it's hard to tell when there's a proper pause to hit back. Should I be memorizing what every character's unsafe moves are? Cause that seems a little overwhelming for C rank, but if that's really what it takes, so be it.

It doesn't seem like anyone at this rank throws very much, and never from defense - only on offense vs too-much blocking or when they predict a hold. Aggressive attack spamming is the norm, though they're also very good at knowing when to block instead. Is trying a throw while I'm on the defensive vs someone spammy a bad idea in general, or am I just doing it wrong? Should I stick to fast strikes instead if I know they'll keep spamming?

What should my strategy be when they're blocking very well? My safe pokes don't generally cause any kind of stun or lead to a launch, so I don't really know how to get much damage out of it, or how to move from just poking to something more productive.

Thanks for the help. I'm 500 ranked matches in with a win rate of about 30%, and it's starting to feel a little hopeless.
Which character do you primarily use? How you can take pressure off of your character mainly depends on which character you're using since certain characters have an easier time reversing the pressure or getting out of defensive situations. And throwing against someone depends on the disadvantage they're left at, like if they're left at -5 and you try to use a 7i throw to punish them they'll be able to hi counter through. But typically after they finish a string or free cancel they're left at a disadvantage which means it's your turn to either attack, or if you feel like they're going to defend then you can use a throw that's quick enough against them although you'll have to be wary on if they'll try to duck or not. If they are blocking alot the best thing to usually do is to use a guard breaker or an attack that gives you advantage so you'll have a better chance at getting a counter hit, or you can also use a low to open them up since most of the time opponents will react if you use a low to surprise them if they're high guarding

Arcane

As a fellow new-to-DOA-and-also-C-ranked player, I have very little advice to give. But I wanted to let you know that I share your struggle. I also find that my opponents are able to apply an incredible amount of pressure that forces me defensive. It feels like their strings are never ending nor unsafe. And they seem to effortlessly flow from one string to the next. Yet, when I finally do get to take my turn, I find myself unable to reciprocate with the same level of pressure. Most of the matches I win, I do so by playing in a reactionary manner and by spacing myself from my opponent to try to avoid their offensive pressure.

I suspect it might actually just be game knowledge. This doesn't happen in mirror matches and that's probably because I know what to expect and what the strings do.

cheeseburgering

I've put most of my time into Christie, Momiji and Mai. I've had the easiest time with Christie and the hardest with Mai, with Momiji right in the middle.
Sidestepping does not help you?
I almost never sidestep anymore now that it requires meter. Is it still something to rely on to turn the momentum around? I've also kinda been trained away from trying to hold or wake-up kick much, since both of those tend to get me wrecked. I figured I should get the blocking-attacking rhythm down first before relying on fancier stuff.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I've put most of my time into Christie, Momiji and Mai. I've had the easiest time with Christie and the hardest with Mai, with Momiji right in the middle.

I almost never sidestep anymore now that it requires meter. Is it still something to rely on to turn the momentum around? I've also kinda been trained away from trying to hold or wake-up kick much, since both of those tend to get me wrecked. I figured I should get the blocking-attacking rhythm down first before relying on fancier stuff.
I would go to training mode and use the move information tab to see which moves you can use for Christie and Momiji that are + on block since getting momentum in your favor is easier when you finish with safer or plus attacks on block. Mai you should as well too but she's not really a pressure type character like Christie is with some of her attacks being + on block.

And sidestepping isn't something you should rely on but it can help you in certain match ups against characters who have pitiful tracking like Marie Rose, Helena, etc. Christie also has a special sidestep that you do with :2: :P+K: or :8: :P+K: that can not only avoid linear attacks but it also avoids highs as well too and she has follow ups from it as well. She also has one attack (7P iirc) that can be used to evade linear strikes as well too but idk since I don't use her besides knowing what to watch out for

Raansu

Meter builds so fast that burning a single block on a SSA to get someone off you is negligible. Meter should be used often for side step and break hold. Trying to save it for a break blow is incredibly situational. Honestly I only use break blows if I don't feel like guessing and need the parry from it and to get free damage. Otherwise I just burn it for the sake of it because I'm in pretty solid control of the match. Aside from that, I prioritize side steps and break holds over break blows for meter usage, but again, its situational.

cheeseburgering

Alright I did my best to put all of your advice into practice tonight... blocking more, using fast attacks more aggressively while on defense whenever I thought I could fit them in, not trying to use throws from defense vs very aggressive opponents, and changing up my poking game while people are blocking, sticking to safer stuff.

It worked great! I've won 70% of my matches tonight and honestly I'm amazed at how big an impact came from tiny adjustments in what I was doing. I've even handily beaten some of the people who really wrecked me the last couple days. So thanks for all the help, I feel like I've had a small breakthrough and can hold my own at C rank again.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD