DOA4 tier list based on tournamanet results?

DR2K

Do we not have one based on actual results? I know we can go days talking about the situational tools X character has that makes him better than Y character, but tournament results would give us something more substantial to discuss. it would also be integral to helping shape DOA5 character balance, somewhat.

Raansu

Tournament results in DoA4 were so random that basing a tier list on such a thing would be asinine. Even then I don't believe in basing tiers on tournament results as skill level and play styles vary.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
There were not enough tournaments to make that kind of list accurate. Also, peoples choice of characters completely changed towards the end of the games tournament life.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
There were not enough tournaments to make that kind of list accurate. Also, peoples choice of characters completely changed towards the end of the games tournament life.
Nonsense. The only thing I completely changed was Christie's costume, and that was because a cosplayer named Yaya Han actually made her fourth (stripper) costume look good. I've used that more often than I did back then, but not that much.

Also, Offbeat Ninja and you-know-who never dropped their characters either. Of course, it isn't saying much since you-know-who was a top tier character.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Everybody learned Genfu, Awesmic.

Everybody learned Genfu. Everybody.

And everybody else learned Helena.

DR2K

Tournament results in DoA4 were so random that basing a tier list on such a thing would be asinine. Even then I don't believe in basing tiers on tournament results as skill level and play styles vary.

I've seen the same names/characters in the top though.

There are plenty of online tournaments to help, but over the years there have been enough to make a reasonable list.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Even so, it's hard to use this kind of a list to help shape DOA 5 because the system changes may well be incredibly different. DOA 4 everybody had literally the same options, as nearly all unique guaranteed damage situations were taken away. It literally came down to paper stats, and everybody really did have a unique shot at winning. I mean even I was wrecking face with Bayman, and he sure as hell isn't high tier.

If the system is changed back to the point where everybody really does have unique options again, I think you're going to see a drastically different kind of tier list.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
All you need to do is to put all grapplers in shit tier, the rest in mid and the ninjas and genfu on top.

Hopefully, doa5 will have character customization so that you can dress up everyone as ninjas, especially Bass and then they'll gain a magical tier gain. Everyone will play like Hayabusa.

Nonsense. The only thing I completely changed was Christie's costume, and that was because a cosplayer named Yaya Han actually made her fourth (stripper) costume look good. I've used that more often than I did back then, but not that much.

One day they're gonna make a spin-off with your waifu and it's going to be a shitty game like Death By Degrees and you're gonna love it.

Raansu

I've seen the same names/characters in the top though.

There are plenty of online tournaments to help, but over the years there have been enough to make a reasonable list.

Online tournaments have zero credibility.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
True that.

Tengu -- online he can actually be a fearsome lag monster that gets quite impressive juggles and is hard to juggle himself due to his super heavy weight and network inconsistency. Offline he is too slow to be viable, and pretty much anything after his first attack in a string can be countered on reaction.

But there would be major differences between where they belong in tiers based on this alone.

d3v

Basing tier lists on tournament results doesn't work since tournament results can influenced by a myriad of factors outside of the game. Also, basing it on this removes the most important part of any tier list - the match-up chart behind it.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Everybody learned Genfu, Awesmic.

Everybody learned Genfu. Everybody.

And everybody else learned Helena.
I learned Gen Fu... in DOA1... and... that's it.

I learned Helena in DOA2(U) because Christie was simply not there.

And I didn't have any desire to pick them up in DOA4. Couldn't call myself a dedicated Christie player if I gave up that easily.

@Kitchener: Except TN has a better track record of action games compared to Namco. The chances of it being shit are slim.

So yeah, I would buy it in confidence. However, that was not the point I was making. Rikuto was making it sound like everyone dropped their initial character at some point, including myself. I was somewhat offended, therefore my reply.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm referring to everyone who was actually competing at the time, Awesmic.

You did not start until very recently :p

And yes, everybody DID start learn genfu and helena by the time CGS was in season 2. Even Master.

CGS even had an article about the man old, it was pretty ridiculous.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Remember when PL beat Manny so bad that Manny actually switched to Gen Fu? But because he didn't practice with him as much he got stomped harder?

I do:

Shutout.

(Hint: Manny's weakness in DOA4 is Helena)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD