Game Dev Story...

jonosono

Standard Donor
With a lot of our attention here on the development of DOA 5, I thought it would be nice for me to share this gem with you all.
Game Dev Story is a cute little game available for Android & iOS devices and it's a lot of fun.
I implore you all to check it out. Here's a screen shot from my game:

2011-12-27_02-19-16.jpg

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I played my copy up until it wanted me to start making my own console.

My only real gripe with it is the QA section of development. If it wanted to be a real game dev story then at that point in time it should be adding bugs as well as taking bugs down at that time lol. They should also have it so there's a chance the console manufacturer rejects the game - delaying your project by a month as you change your plans.

But can't be perfect heh.

jonosono

Standard Donor
When the option came up for the console making I was like, "Oh Yea! " Only to find out that I didn't qualify yet. In that screen shot above, that was just before I made my console. Two game years later, the studio was in the red and hemorrhaging fans left & right. =) Good times.

I don't mind the debugging at the end of the cycle. In fact I nearly pray for a bunch of bugs to be there. For every bug squashed there's an extra research point for me.

Having more input from the console makers would have been nice. Your idea is a good one. I kept wishing that console makers would lower their licensing fee so I could grace them with a hit game. Who knows? Maybe in a couple of years there will be a Game Dev Story 2. ^_^

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Oh hey, you guys made Game Dev Story? I gotta say that is a pretty neat game. I really liked it. I think me and a few friends played it around the same time was started our own little company to do some Android development.

If you ever end up in London by any chance, give me a call, I'll pick you up for a drink and a tour around the office.

jonosono

Standard Donor
Negative. I have absolutely nothing to do with the creation of this game.
I'm just a consumer, sharing the love.

However, next time I find myself in London, I'll take you up on your offer.
It would be rude of me to turn your hospitality down. =)

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Pixel Theory Studios. We're based in London, we just started a few weeks ago, proper. We got the mandatory youtube and facebook page, but it's pretty bare-bones right now.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Ha, nice. Best of luck to you guys. I'm preparing my own startup. A previous project I was working but had to be put on hold:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Never was into anime, but that looks like a hell of a cool project. When was this being developed? What platforms was this planned for?

jonosono

Standard Donor
Since that project was put on "hold ", how likely are you to start working on it again?
That vid, looks... pretty, fucking promising.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'd like to finish the game at some point, but if it does then I'd have to change the characters and such as I was using an existing IP from Japan. The artist pursued it after I dropped from the group due to legal conflicts. He informed me that another studio picked it up but couldn't get the IP holders to allow their IP's use. Since the IP was the major selling point for the studio they halted it. If I were to do it again - as I hope to one day - I'd have to use original IP. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't have the resources to start it back up at this time.

jonosono

Standard Donor
That's unfortunate. Being able to use the Hajime no Ippo world would have been a boon both to you and the IP holders. Ha, thanks to you I realize that now is a great time for me to pick up the manga and see if I like it.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
How many Hajime No Ippo games are out there? It would be a waste to let this go, if you're a fan. I don't know much about HNI, but I do know Steve Fox is an obvious reference to that.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So is Dudley with not only the Dempsey Roll but the Corkscrew blow (and Zack's Dempsey Roll as well). Shimbori even told me he's a huge fan of the series.

The series has been going on since 1989, and I was a quality checker for Ignition-One's scanlation releases. It's one of the longest running mangas in Japan. I think they just hit 960 chapters.

It all comes down to contracts. Typically in Japan EDP (I think?) has the exclusive rights to make the games. There's been a few honestly, but most are simulation. Probably the best one is the GBA version (Not the DS).

I think we've derailed this thread a lot, unless we're talking about stories about Game Development lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD