Getting involved with the community

Infernal Spyro

Hey guys, I wanted to have some opinions on a few things. I don't know exactly If this the right place to be posting this on since I'm not all in tune with forums and it's a lot to take in (for wanting to be more in depth for my first fighting game I like to pick up on). I have played the vanilla version but not too much. I didn't get into it till about a month or two getting into the ultimate cycle though I seem to be late to the party on it since last round is around the corner.
I usually have time on my hands when I'm not at school or at work, so I wanted to know about how I can be more interactive with the community. It seems more lively here than online where usually I don't meet new people as often. My first tournament which was battle of the best 6 was convenient for me and I wanted to experience firsthand the atmosphere and it was great. Even got to commentate (which is a first considering I'm shy at times) but it was quite fun meeting people and having a good time. Finding more tournaments in the area would be nice though I'm not into the position to go out of state and all with college looming, maybe when I'm done lol but I'd like to get more involved so whatever options I got to look at wouldn't be so bad to pass the time with.
For those who read this I'm sure appreciate the patience. And hopefully some ideas that you guys have to share might be something I can pick up on.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
To be around here at the forum is imo the best way to make and stay in contact with the community, since the online realm is about to become deserted more and more (at least here in Europe, don't know about the US). It is also crowded with a lot of 'day flies' who try out the game via core fighters just to stop playing it right in the next minute. Not that it's wrong to try something out, but such people tend to send friend invites right at the first meeting and you might end up having a lot of zombies in your contact list.

If you are able to take part in local tournaments, you are in an enviable position, because these are the places where you can make the most progress in terms of learning the game, meeting new players and stay in close contact with internet acquaintanceship. This is something many players around the globe really would like to have but aren't able to due to their location.

If you want to find more tournaments around, FSD is worth to take a look at, there are already a lot of entries and threads in the matchmaking and tournament forums. You could also take a look at @Sly Bass's player base map to get an overview of players and events around your location.

Not sure if this is kind of an answer you expected to get, but I hope it helps you anyway.

Infernal Spyro

To be around here at the forum is imo the best way to make and stay in contact with the community, since the online realm is about to become deserted more and more (at least here in Europe, don't know about the US). It is also crowded with a lot of 'day flies' who try out the game via core fighters just to stop playing it right in the next minute. Not that it's wrong to try something out, but such people tend to send friend invites right at the first meeting and you might end up having a lot of zombies in your contact list.

If you are able to take part in local tournaments, you are in an enviable position, because these are the places where you can make the most progress in terms of learning the game, meeting new players and stay in close contact with internet acquaintanceship. This is something many players around the globe really would like to have but aren't able to due to their location.

If you want to find more tournaments around, FSD is worth to take a look at, there are already a lot of entries and threads in the matchmaking and tournament forums. You could also take a look at @Sly Bass's player base map to get an overview of players and events around your location.

Not sure if this is kind of an answer you expected to get, but I hope it helps you anyway.

No worries, I got a few ideas on what to do I appreciate the info xD

NukNuks

Yo Spyro just noticed this! Glad to have met you at BEST of the Battle 6 and thank you again for coming out to the event! As far as NorCal tourneys go, there isn't one coming up for a while but I'll most likely be putting an offline event together when Last Round drops. Either that or BEST of the Battle 7 sometime soon.

If you're near San Jose we have Fighting Game Community nights AKA Versus at Milpitas Golfland every Tuesday. It usually runs from around 6 or 7pm-midnight. It's only $5 for a wristband to play all night. We have hella setups for all fighting games going on everything from PS3, 360, PS4, etc. Most cats are usually playing Street Fighter or Smash Bros but we have all fighting going on over there. And they're all on tourney standard monitors. I'm there every week and am the only one who plays DOA there. Would be nice if you showed up for some offline play. Perhaps I can help get you leveled up.

Peep the flyer. Hope to see you at more events!

Infernal Spyro

Shoot I wanted to go around the milpitas area for the last tourney there for godlike combo (street fighter and all) even if they didn't have doa at that time. I really want to show up for this but something important came up for my mother so I'm here down in LA and I won't be back till between mon-weds. I need to get in something before last round comes out. You say every tues? Depending on when I'm able to get back I may/ may not be able to make it this week. Im might just take a look the next couple of weeks definitely. Sure could use the practice and seeing some familiar friends would be a plus also. I'll take up on your offer bro. If not this week, I'll be around for sure!

NukNuks

Yeah man just slide thru to Versus one of these days when you get a chance. I'm pretty much there every week. Holla at me when you decide to go so I can make sure my setup is strictly for DOA, otherwise I'm usually playing SF or Guilty Gear. I refuse to site there and play DOA by myself lmao not happenin.

Infernal Spyro

Yea no worries, I'll let you know when I get some time to head on out there. I definitely could use some time off anyway

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD