High Wake Up Kick

Akumasama

So I'm embarassed to admit this, but I didn't notice there was no High wake up kick in DoA5 until... last year.
That means around 6 years playing DoA5 thinking to have performed a high wake up kick and wondering how the fuck people could be so good at guessing it, without realizing I was actually doing a mid wake up kick.
...ok, I'm read for the shots, trust me I'm ashamed already.

Of course they're not back for DoA6 and this is no surprise, I kinda expected it.
What I wonder is, why do you think they removed it?

I know for sure high wake up kicks were in Do4 but possibly DoA3 too, I don't remember. They weren't in DoA2 and I assume not even in DoA2 Ultimate either.

Do you miss them? Do you think they did the right choice by removing it or do you think the game would be better if it still had high wake up kicks?

Akumasama

since they could be ducked and if you low held expecting a low that beat it too.
This is true, but it's not any different from any other high in the game.
Following your logic should they remove every high and leave only mid and low because of that? :x
Not saying what you said is wrong, but it doesn't seem like a meaningful explanation as to why they removed them in DoA5.

They had a different purpose, keep opponents guessing, increase variations, they were used to surprise people expecting a mid kick increasing the ratio of guessing from the current 50/50 (it's not really 50/50 but follow me on this please) and also it was useful to fight against those attacks that avoided mid kicks, but couldn't avoid highs.
Like Hayate's 9+K, K, K, or some sommersaults by Tina and La Mariposa, and so on. Not many moves to be fair, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

As I mentioned it's not really a surprise for me that they didn't re-add them in DoA6, but back when I found that out in DoA5 last year or a bit more I was really really shocked and kept wondering why for a lot of time lolz
Tbf it's not a big loss, it surely keeps things simpler, absolutely. Personally I liked them but it's not a big deal to see them gone either, so w/e.

Was just curious to see what was everybody's opinion on the topic, and if Shimbori ever commented specifically on why they removed them.

PJudge

Literally can't believe I didn't notice that, I genuinely thought a lot of players just didn't do them for whatever reason.

Akumasama

Welcome to my world! As embarassing as it is to say, I noticed it was lacking in DoA5 like, last year? Played over 6 years thinking I was doing them and wondering how I was getting countered so easy xD XD

Keylay

The problem was that it added even more guessing which people didn't like. Plus, DOA4 had the force tech system which was nerfed in DOA5/DOA6. So you didn't have to deal with wake up kicks as much in DOA4 compared to DOA5/DOA6.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It added layers of confusion. Reducing the amount of guesswork was important so that one was a start. On that that wake up kicks were invulnerable for the first few frames, stuns on CH, and generally safe except the low.

In a stun heavy game, you can practically nail 40% of life from a wake up kick in stun because you tried to whiff punish 3 kicks (even two) and then they were given a stun game for free with hardly any effort. Wake up kicks are still pretty powerful, so TN had to make changes to it and just took one of them away.

Akumasama

Didn't DoA3 have 3 wake up kicks too?
Why is the guessing game so bad during the wake up, but even worse guessing games in all other situations are fine?

This is not a provocation btw, just an honest question :D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD