Characters How do i find a characters pokes and what to look for in a moveset.

JJpalmer

Title above sorry about all the stupid questions lately but ive been slowly getting back into the game and id like to know what i should look for win im looking at a character since going through command training is a good place to start what should i be looking for as far as pokes and optimal strings since i dont see myself remembering 100 plus moves.Any advice would be greatly appreciated ive been skimming character guides for info so I know im in the right place.

Argentus

Title above sorry about all the stupid questions lately but ive been slowly getting back into the game and id like to know what i should look for win im looking at a character since going through command training is a good place to start what should i be looking for as far as pokes and optimal strings since i dont see myself remembering 100 plus moves.Any advice would be greatly appreciated ive been skimming character guides for info so I know im in the right place.
Honestly id say stick to fundamentals and build from there. You'll naturally incorporate that other stuff as you play rather than trying to force it an over specialize.

David Gregg

I agree with @Argentus. Start with one character and do their command training followed by combo challenges (try and do as many as you can for each but don't get hung up if you don't 100% complete them). Next start fighting the CPU at a level where you feel comfortable. Keep at it (increasing the CPU level when you find the level you're at too easy) and moves will start coming to you naturally. Once you feel like you have a basic grasp go back to command training and the combo challenges to add additional useful moves/combos you haven't been using. Go back to fighting the CPU. It's important to try and fight against all of the characters so that at the very least you are familiar with their basic setups and you'll be able to pick up on certain patterns (although be careful as online people will pretend to be predictable in order to get you to fall for their trap).

Hope this sort of helps.

JJpalmer

This was immensely helpful everyone yea i leave the cpu on about 6-7 8 just seems less like it fights and more like it reads inputs but ill hop it up ive went through most of the cast command and combo trainings but ive mainly been doing tina/sarah. did a little with the dlc characters because i wanted to try them. Anyway thanks guys and i hope to see some of you at TFC lol.

RoboJoe

The first thing you should do with a new character is learn the properties of the most basic of the basic moves because you'll likely be using them more often than any other attacks, but keep in mind these may not apply equally to all characters.

:P: - Your character's jab. Most likely your character's fastest attack and because of that you'll be using this move a lot to start pressure and interrupt attacks.

:6::P: or :3::P: - This is probably your character's fastest mid. Use it at frame advantage (e.g. after blocking an attack) or as a poke.

:K: - Your character's basic kick attack. Usually faster and deals more damage than a :6::P:.

:3::K: - Your character's side kick. Usually a decent long range poke.

:2::P: - This move is your low jab and has instant crouching properties. Will go under all high attacks.

:H+P: - Your character's fastest throw, either 4 or 5 frames. If you don't know how much frame disadvantage on block an opponent's attack has, use this throw for a better chance to succeed. This throw can be escaped, keep that in mind.

:6::H+P: - Likely your character's 7 frame punish throw. Can't be escaped. Does more damage than :H+P:.

After you get comfortable with these moves, you can start looking at other more situational moves. I recommend first finding the following using the move details:

-Your character's safe attacks. These are the attacks that when blocked don't leave you with much frame disadvantage. Look for moves that are -5 or better.

-Your character's ranged pokes. Use the move details to find your moves with the longest range while keeping yourself minimally exposed to counter attack.

-Your character's close ranged pokes. Look for fast attacks. Look for attacks that stun on counter hit. Even better if the stuns can't be Slow Escaped (e.g. Gen Fu's :3::P: on counter hit). Also look for which attacks stun on normal hit as well.

-Your character's launchers. Look for launchers that give you decent height after just one stun. Also, look for launchers that launch on normal hit.

-Your character's crush attacks. Look for attacks which evade either highs or lows.

Argentus

Also something I've found that helps.

Every time you start up the game, run through your mains command training once. That way their move set gets ingrained little by little, plus even once you've settled your approach you may find another move in command training that you'll find yourself incorporating into your playstyle.

jjinkou2

Every time you start up the game, run through your mains command training once. That way their move set gets ingrained little by little, plus even once you've settled your approach you may find another move in command training that you'll find yourself incorporating into your playstyle.

it's mandatory to do this (like playing scales on the piano) but also it's not enought, because you don't know which move is efficient in which scenario when fighting for real.

What i usually do when toying with a new char is:
- Find the Pokes
- Find 2 good throw (a fast one to punish unsafe string, a more complex one when i'm baiting)
- Find High and low crushes.
- Find the stun extenders
- Find launchers
- Find long range hits
- Find safest moves
- Find only one CB setup
- Find only one combo ender that could be done after one CB setup or one launcher.

[Edit ]: And also playing with his specific stance, this is the salt of trying a new char.

With that i can have fun with most of the fights online (don't expect to be competitive), and then pushing buttons at random also helps XD.

Last edited:

Rhandon

Standard Donor
I usually do well with characters that have a high/max strike, When it comes to poking.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD