DOA5LR How to deal with Hayate

ValkGurlukavich

I am having a problem deal with a good Hayate. I just seem to have no options to deal with any of his crap. I just get beaten down pretty free and I'm not sure what to do. Anyone got some tips?

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Not to be rude, but you gotta give more information that 'I'm just getting beat by x character.' What moves was he doing specifically? What were having trouble landing? Do you have any videos of the matches?

I'll tell you right now I suspect Hayate players to do 3h+k and 214p and I can p.much catch them on reaction at least half the time. Also, 6pp is unsafe and so is the running one. A good Hayate would always use the guard break variant however I find.

ValkGurlukavich

I trouble against the entire character (also against Christie, Kasumi, Rig, and Jackie). I can't seem to get anything started because the character has so many more fast options that beat out any of mine. I can only get any offense started if they fuck up or I gamble on a counter.

Jab is the fastest move I have to get any amount of punish, but generally ducked. Nothing else seems fast enough to punish much of anything. How matches tend to go is I have to start the match blocking, then hope they fuck up for me to get anything started. If they are good about their offense I don't get the chance to play since all my punish options are so slow and beaten constantly. It seems like they can just mash buttons and there is nothing I can really about it except guess.

I don't even know where to start against a fast character. Do I just have to be amazing defense for days till an opening appears?

Edit: More specific question, what moves should I be using with Tina to try and punish these fast characters? Throw punish? P? 3P? 4K?

Last edited:

Koompbala

I got an answer for that cause I play against Hayate quite a bit. I also mained him in 4. Hayate is weaker than Tina in almost every aspect of what makes a character. The only thing he got over her is speed and evasiveness. You honestly shouldn't have any problems against him because of this. All his GB's are holdable cause they need to be charged. His only one that isn't reactable is WD P. Although 214K & 236K are still good, so watch out for those. Everything Hayate does is unsafe there are too many Tinas out there. That let things go unpunished. If you punish everything he does. The Hayate will run out of ideas. WD K is 5T punishable. His 6PK has been punishable by Tina. Since 4 and hasn't changed years later. Learn your frames is all I can really tell you. His 3H+K/3H+KK is low throw punishable. The ender to it is also punishable. I can better help you online through talking with you. Otherwise you get my lazy answer learn your frames, learn your characters.

I wrote up some characters on 5U to prep for LR so here ya go. Thats another reason why I don't want to say anything it will already be covered in my guide. Out of your troublesome characters the only one I got to was Kas so here ya go.

Kasumi
There isn't much to fighting Kasumi. She hasn't changed much at all outside of her combo possibilities. Her strings haven't changed everything she does is unsafe as hell. If she finishes anything punish anything and everything she does. She doesn't really have anything to open you up outside of punch grabbing. I don't understand why people worry about her honestly. Just stay firm and you can punish anything she finishes. There is a string I see get blocked too often.

66PP People stop blocking this crap and getting put in a mixup. The second move is a high people duck this, crush this. Do anything, but block this crap. She can't teleport even doing a 2P is better which leaves you at 0 rather than her at plus. I use to 44P the very moment I seen 66P from Kasumi. If you can't do that easily just duck and grab. As I said pretty much anything else is better. Those are just one of the things I see Kasumi's using to open people up. Now while there isn't much of a way for Kasumi to build an offense on Tina. What can Tina do to her? Not much either to be honest. While Tina does have 46P for a frame trap a +1 or +2 isn't gonna do shit for you when facing Kasumi. Tina has 11i jab +1 wont help you when Kas has a 9i jab. You still will get beat out. Then what if you get a +2 and you still can clash with her jab with your jab. Which that happening leaves you 0 and you dont want to be at 0 against Kasumi.

So really due to Tinas lack of speed. This match is a stalemate it's more about who's gonna crack first. Who's gonna finish an unsafe string first? Who's gonna attack during a delayed string? Who's gonna get a P grab first. Although Tina has a lot more safe strings than Kasumi. Speaking of which Kasumis safe attacks are this 66K~K, 4H+K, 33K. Just so you know 33K is unsafe, but its out of range from everything. So its one of those deceptive unsafe moves. To sum this up. Stay strong and you'll do fine against Kasumi.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD