Community Kotaku Beats off on Last Round

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
http://kotaku.com/dead-or-alive-is-more-than-breasts-1686627572

They basically talk about how boobs aren't important, but Team NINJA's characters need work in their personality. His example was Pai (who is a Sega property) and Kokoro fighting... I responded. Defending Team NINJA the best I could, though it doesn't seem as if the author hated the series... just didn't know what he was talking about:

I am a community writer for FSD and Dead or Alive World, and I've seen a lot of complaints over the years, and a lot of positive; but some of your complaints have already been worked on. Team NINJA has been focused heavily on the offline tournament scene for the hardcore players. They know how the game works via frame data, and environmental experimentation. For the casual audience, they focus on hairstyles, costumes and those big boobs that DOA has always been known for.

The casual audience is very important to the hardcore community. As you know Team NINJA isn't the biggest company so I see my DLC buys as donations, but some casuals buy every outfit there is. This allows Team NINJA to invest in their hardcore community as well with the Battle Royal 2015.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/battle-royal-2015.5287/

They have invested thousands into the hardcore for prize pots and player sponsorship. As you can see, both audiences are getting what they want. Another clear example would be to look at the two new characters of Last Round. Raidou the villain from DOA1 returns with tough inputs and controls while Honoka is your "super copy cat chick." She appeals to the casuals.

I think Team NINJA's focus is clear, and if you don't believe that DOA has changed for the better, I implore you watch Winter Brawl tomorrow on Team Sp00ky. Not ONLY will we have higher numbers than other 3D fighters (Tekken, SC5) but we will steal the show with the talent we have there.

Team NINJA has done a great job with balancing and showing enough personality in their characters. Nyo-Tengu is one of them. Your example with "plastic dolls" shows Pai, a classic SEGA character, and Kokoro... a character that looks similar to Pai. It was a horrible example of showing off the vibrant colorful cast we have. And one last poke. It's easier said than done to say "fuck 'em" to the fans that waited 8 years for the next big installment of DOA.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Except we didn't have bigger numbers. We had fewer numbers this time.

By a rather large margin.

Honestly, the guy writing the article wasn't really wrong in his point. DOA's reputation is damaging to itself in the west. It's an unfortunate fact and I see it during every event, and during every conversation with my non-fighting-gamer friends who ask about what I play.

Unfortunately, the game's reputation in the west has been knowingly scuttled in favor of DLC sales from the east. Tom Lee has been supporting the heck out of the tournament scene and fighting to get us sponsorships to keep its reputation as legitimate as possible. The marketing team has also been attempting to "clean up" the trailers and advertisements that are released in the west, while focusing the more pervy ones on the east. But its a token effort at best and isn't going to counteract years worth of damage.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
He killed his readers with one typical topic, and that was the topic that's obviously the easiest to talk about. What I meant was number of streamers watching DOA on Twitch. Yes, we were a little low on numbers at WB, but it's been a good tournament so far and it's the first one for Last Round.

Tenren

so um yah delete my thread lol. But anyways I agree with Erik on this one. Unlike thr rest of the fgc I largest following is casual. Yes we the tournament group try our best to support the game but TN has and will always use the sex to sell the game to the casual. Its what most of them want. Its been toned down a bit. But in the end it makes money

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Honestly .. how is it toned down ?
The preorder DLC is right there...
Now the DLC is being whored out on the title screen ..
The market is flooded with old and new DLC from day 1..

They may be focusing their trailers differently between the east and west .. But hey guess what? We live in a world where it doesn't fucking matter cuz major sites are gonna pick up on both sides .. And guess which side gets the feature on the major sites like eventhubs (like it or not .. they have a huge following) .. its the ones showing the effect of the soft engine and the DLC outfits...

I don't see this changing.

The only way out of this really is a DOA6 and a DOAX released at similar times where both are extremely distinct from one another in a sense that one is skimpy and the other isn't .. and if you want some skimpy in your fighter then just own both games and you can transfer your outfits onto there.. and leave the rest of us out of it basically. That would work and sell even. But as far as DOA5 goes,the reputation is long gone. Just look at the damn market place. The game is barely out and the market is flooded.

At this point its just something we have to live with..
Its a damn shame too, because the game "as a fighter" is better than its ever been.

Macca Beam

Oh, Kusotaku and its clickbait articles. "Boobs aren't important, personality is!". You surely told that pot, kettle. I struggled to look for the parts that talked about things that can actually carry the series forward, like mechanics, balancing and event sponsoring, but surprise! They never came up. That says a lot about the author's intelligence. I'm certain this thing will turn away casuals at best and no damage will be done.

Also, east is a pretty blanketing term seeing as it also has a serious arcade section.

Woozy

http://kotaku.com/dead-or-alive-is-more-than-breasts-1686627572
They basically talk about how boobs aren't important, but Team NINJA's characters need work in their personality.

It's a fighting game, the only work they need in the personality department is costumes that fit their personality. Maybe if DoA was an RPG they'd be right.

it doesn't seem as if the author hated the series... just didn't know what he was talking about:

Such is games journalism. This is why I don't read Kotaku, Polygon, etc etc, no one has any idea what they're talking about ever. You're better off doing your own thing and not even trying to talk to them. Just let them shout in their echo chamber.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD