New MLG X360 controller with PS3 D-Pad

R4712-VR88

Major League Gaming and Mad Catz Team Up for A Xbox 360 Controller With Some Pros and Some Cons
3e19c7ed76dd05eff515c641bd591c44.jpg

With the collective profile of eSports rising over the last decade, you've seen an ever-increasing prominence of the kind of endorsed accessories and products that hover around physical sports. Gaming mice, keyboards and gamepads that promise to make you better, faster and more accurate sell to hardcore fans who want an edge in matches where split-seconds matter. So, it follows that Major League Gaming promotion would try its hand at the accessories game.

The MLG Pro Circuit Controller doesn't quite promise to turn you into a gamer who can earn thousands of dollars on the competitive circuit. But that logic's kind of implied by the thing's very existence. My mitts got friendly with the gamepad over the course of a week and what follows are my impressions of this configurable accessory.

120662652a72402ffbd2a7558e8ee77b.jpg

What you get is a lightweight attempt at the kind of performance-centric customization you see in specialized gaming mice. You can swap out the two included pairs of analog sticks—either a pebbled, slightly grippy convex pair or a glossy concave set—in the corresponding bays. Same goes for the d-pad, which is either segmented or a connected cross design. The draw here is that you can switch between the offset Xbox 360 stick layout or the same-plane alignment of the DualShock three for the PS3. Prospective users should be warned that can be a bit tricky managing the pull-and-twist action required to get the sticks and pad to lock or come loose at first. The MLG Pro's face plate and grips come in two similar options—matte or glossy—that you can slap on more easily thanks to magnets. There's also a weight that docks into a compartment where batteries normally go on wireless controllers.

Speaking of wireless, don't go expecting that option here. Microsoft still seems to want to their own first-party pads to be the only option for cable-free play. Nevertheless, the cable's flexible but tough enough to withstand wear and tear.

5b44c69f7436264e403a8214c3cfd3be.jpg

Overall, the Pro Circuit Controller's a solid build, right up there with first-party controllers. The guide button feels a little small, but that seems to be a way to avoid accidental triggering during heated sessions. I didn't like the placements of the Select and Start buttons, either. Again, from what must be pro gamer considerations, moving Start away from the area of thumb action is probably a smart move. But, the bottom line is that the button's not where you're used to it being and that'll take some getting used to. The analog sticks seem to bear the same amount of tension, so it's not like one set moved differently than the other. I played a bit of Batman: Arkham City and Gotham City Impostors with the Pro Circuit controller and found my time in both games to be smooth and worry-free.

Did the MLG Pro make me feel more skilled? Not necessarily. But, at $100, it's a way to make a controller feel more like your own weapon. I can certainly see branded stick, pad and plate options rolling out if this accessory's successful. You can pre-order the MLG Pro Circuit Controller now over at the Game Shark site. Becoming a pro gamer? That's all on you and how much you practice, buddy.

The price is killer, but if that D-Pad feels and works just like the one on the PlayStation controllers then it may just be worth it. However I wish the controller was alittle bigger itself. What are y'alls thoughts?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I've heard another review of it that states the dpad is absolute unresponsive garbage. you tap up, you might get left.

The customization had me intrigued originally, though.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I've heard another review of it that states the dpad is absolute unresponsive garbage. you tap up, you might get left.
That's really, really disappointing if true. I was considering one of these just for the direction pad. How has the 360 been out for over six years and there still isn't a controller available with a working pad?

Allan Paris

Sad to say I have grown accustomed to the shitty 360 controllers. When I try to play on a PS3 controller I can't hurry up and get it out of my hands fast enough. This one cost to damn much for me to even consider it. I bought the newest controller microsoft put out and the expensive piece of shit broke on me.

Game Over

How has the 360 been out for over six years and there still isn't a controller available with a working pad?

The controller works perfectly fine for what it's intended for ... ... ... shooters.

#snicker :)

Joking aside, as silly as it sounds, I modded a wired controller of mine by stacking 2-3 layers of small cut pieces of duct tape between the pad and the rubber(?) piece underneath. 2 layers under the up and down directionals, 3 layers under the left and right directionals. Seems to have made a nice improvement to me. Biggest benefit, IMO, is no more hitting the rim of the d-pad hole, causing sporadic inputs. Diagonals are still kinda iffy, but definitely not AS iffy by default. Then again, I can't say I've done heavy testing of it, as I haven't put any significant time into any fighter lately. But even with this, having some fun with the Dos Equis meme ...

"I don't often play VF5,

But when I do, I play on stick."

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yea Sorwah did the modded controller thing more than a few times for me. We would use the D-pad off of an original S-type xbox controller and the rubber contact underneath. Problem is that I still manage to break them down within a few months each.

Game Over

Yea Sorwah did the modded controller thing more than a few times for me. We would use the D-pad off of an original S-type xbox controller and the rubber contact underneath. Problem is that I still manage to break them down within a few months each.

I've got a Sorwah mod myself, with both the d-pad and the analog sticks switched out. Figured I'd try a mod myself, if nothing else, for the experience. I did get a chuckle when I noticed improved performance with my mod ... duct tape fixes everything! lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD