Old DOA3 Interviews

ryu_highabusa

Did you know the original websites for DOA1, 2, and 3 are still up? DOA3 has previews and stuff but I never noticed this compiled section of interviews before: http://www.tecmo.co.jp/product/doa3/nsindex.htm

1. Tokyo Game Show "Stage Talk" 2001-03-30
  2. Xbox Conference 2001 Summer "Stage Talk" 2001-08-27
  3. Famitsu Xbox 0 (TGS 2001 Spring Special Issue) 2001-03-30
  4. Weekly Dreamcast Magazine 4/27/5/4 (2001-vol.12) 2001-04-13
  5. Monthly Dengeki August issue (2001 AUGUST NO.126) 2001-07-27
  6. Weekly Famitsu NO.657 2001-07-06
  7. Dorimaga vol.6 August 10 issue 2001-07-27
  8. Dorimaga vol.7 August 24 issue 2001-08-10
  9. Dorimaga vol.8 September 07 issue 2001-08-24
  10. Dorimaga vol.9 September21 issue 2001-09-28

Some more interesting quotes:

From Weekly Dreamcast Magazine 4/27/5/4 (2001-vol.12)2001-04-13
---「3」という発表にも非常に驚いたのですが、そのハードがXboxだというのも驚きました。まずこの経緯はどのように?
板垣 「3」を作るのはずっと前から決まっていたんですね。で、そのマシン選びは去年の夏ごろからやっていたんですが、どのハードで出すか?というのは、正直全く決めてなかったんです。それで、12月頃にマシン選びも兼ねて、Xboxの開発ツールを使って、「DOA2ハードコア」をXboxに移植してみたんですよ。そうしたら、なんとプログラマ2人で、たった2ヶ月で出来てしまったんですね。まだ音はなりませんでしたが。でもこれって、ピンとこないかもしれませんが、ものすごいことなんですよ。PS2で動いていたものが、Xboxだとより滑らかに動いている。しかも(Xboxの)試作機でですよ。これ、もとがPCだから、(秒感)60フレーム以上で動いてて,「ハードコア」はXbox上で130フレームで動いてた。要するに130÷60=2。1倍の性能は簡単にあるってことですよね。こういうのを見ちゃうと、僕の場合止まらないから(笑)。とにかくXboxに惚れ込んでしまって、「もうこれしかないな」と。単純に移植しただけで、デザイナーが光源もなにもいじってないのに、チラつきも全然なくてとにかく綺麗だったんですよね。ここまで機械に惚れ込んだのは、(アーケード基板の)NAOMI以来かな。

Google Translate:

--- I was very surprised at the announcement of "3", but I was also surprised that the hardware is Xbox.First of all, how is this done?
--- Itagaki "3" was made long ago is not it? So, I chose to select that machine from last summer, but which hard should I put out?To be honest I was not decided at all. So, I also tried porting "DOA 2 Hardcore" to Xbox, using Xbox development tools, also as a machine choice in December.Then, it was made with only 2 months with 2 programmers! There was no sound yet. But this may not come with pins, but it's amazing. What I was running on PS 2 is moving more smoothly with Xbox. Besides, it is (Xbox) prototype. Because this is the original PC, it moves with more than 60 frames (second feeling), "hard core" was moving on 130 frames on Xbox. In short, the performance of 130 ÷ 60 = 2.1 times is easy to have, is not it? If I saw something like this, I will not stop for me (laugh). Anyway, I fell in love with Xbox, "There is only this already". Just by simply porting, the designer did not have any light source or anything with it, but there was no flicker anyway and it was beautiful anyway. It is since NAOMI (Arcade board) that I fell in love with machines so far.

Itagaki would've liked to have included online play but was undecided according to the Dorimaga vol.6 August 10 issue 2001-07-27 interview (30% build):
---御社とKDDIさん、オムロンさんとで通信ゲームのインフラを共同開発されると報じられましたが?
板垣 今まで通信対戦をやらないって言っていたのは、インフラがサービスとしてお客様にお出しするレベルには達してなかったためなんですね。それはひとえに通信での遅延時間によるものですが。それを「やりたい」というお客様に対する積極的なアプローチとして、その障害になる原因を取り除くために、3社で共同開発しているわけです。現段階ではどうにも言えませんが、「やらない」というだけでは、僕も心苦しいですからね。ただ、そのインフラが「DOA3」に対応するかどうかは、まったくの未定です。

Google Translate:

--- Did you know that your company, KDDI and Omron will jointly develop infrastructure for communication games?
--- Itagaki I was told that we will not do communication battle until now, because the infrastructure has not reached the level that we offer to customers as a service.It is due to the delay time in communication. As an aggressive approach to customers who want to "do it", three companies are jointly developing to eliminate the cause of the obstacle. I can not say anything at this stage, but I just have a hard time just to say "I do not do it." However, it is completely undecided whether the infrastructure corresponds to "DOA 3".

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD