Community Price Guide for Dead or Alive Collectibles

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
A lot of us have been collecting Dead or Alive merchandise for years as made evident by the collections thread. We don't stop with statues and absurd mouse pads, we buy multiple copies of the same game from different regions to showcase our passion for this series. Some of the DOA merch is getting pretty expensive, and older things are becoming increasingly difficult to find and preserve.

My idea with this thread is to make a comprehensive price guide for everything that could be in your DOA collection! You can contribute your finds, track values quickly without the hassle of scrolling eBay and share your history on an item to add to its description. Maybe you will see something you've never seen before. Example:

[NA] Dead or Alive 1 Prima Strategy Guide - $30

s-l225.webp

To no surprise Prima's guide for DOA1 is becoming a challenging item to find. The ratty condition of the guide pictured in this topic is valued at thirty bucks, and I paid five dollars for mine brand new at a discounted price a long time ago. Based on that evaluation I would say that mine is worth 40-50 dollars now since it is in like-new condition despite being taken on planes and other family trips.

This is the only DOA guide I know of that uses uncoated paper on the inside pages, so this makes it harder to preserve even if the front cover gets a glossy coat to prevent easy tearing to it. They all must smell like old books at this point and are full of secrets that you didn't know when you first played the game. Back then you had no idea who Kasumi's father was unless you had this fucking book.

The pages are printed with black and white ink just to remind you how old and low budget it was, though by this time, most guides popped with color and glossy pages. You get your move lists, notes and a few bare-boned basics with this guide. The history of this guide proves that Itagaki had a story in-mind for DOA before he was fully able to present what it was.

[NA] Dead or Alive 2 Prima Strategy Guide - $10

s-l225.webp

There isn't much to mention with this guide, but it's a lot more colorful than the original. This one is filled with pictures of the girls in bikinis and tag is mentioned as a prominent new feature to the game.

[JPN] Dead or Alive 2 Dengeki Strategy Guide - $15
[JPN] Dead or Alive 2 Perfect Guide - $15

s-l225.webp
s-l225.webp

This guide is filled with information for Dead or Alive 2, and the other half serves as a 'Best Shots' book. It's far superior to the US version and even comes with a poster of school girl Kasumi. If you bought this in the past you likely paid forty to sixty dollars, but now you can find them as low as 15 USD.

Between both Japanese DC DOA2 guides the Dengeki (pictured on the left) is the more valuable pickup for collectors as it includes the poster and art gallery.

Last edited:

Dionysus

I got Dead or Alive History -Team Ninja Freaks- for 25 US dollars. It covers everything from 1 to 3, the first Xtreme game and Ninja Gaiden (which means Gaiden is the DOA spinoff, not the other way around!). It starts with an Itagaki interview about the impetus to make 1 and how nobody thought anyone but Sega could make a 3D fighting game. Then it does the product information (the details of each release such as cover image and changes to gameplay. For instance, for 1 there is the Playstation, Arcade and Saturn versions). Then there is the 'player side', covering things like danger zones and the hold system. More interviews about porting 1 and the mindset making it ('if in doubt, make it flashy so people will look at it'). Then gallerys and design sketches including a lot of designs that never got used such as Angel Kasumi complete with wings. Then it talks about DOA++ (the arcade re-release) before a look at the 'first swimsuit costumes in DOA history'. The same pattern follows for 2: product, player side, interview. Then there's 'continuity', which in Japanese refers to the storyboard for cutscenes. Then the same for 3, Xtreme and Gaiden (minus storyboards for Xtreme and Gaiden). Then there's character profiles and a list of other DOA goods at the end. Pretty full of info, and a lot of unused designs.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD