Punishing the dragon gunner

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Being that this is like one of the best moves he has, what's a good way to shut this down. I know that with Tina's forward throw a normally fast throw punish doesn't seem to work, at least online. Should I just standing throw it or attack instead?

Raansu

Low attacks,low block, throw it. It's an OH so you don't want to do a standing attack.

RyuJin

WARNING: This is based on my personal Experiences, Frame data, and Opinion. This is also based on fighting Jann Lee OFFLINE. With that being said I hope this is helpful.

The thing about Dragon Gunner is that the start up looks like his 66K. From range Dragon Gunner can be hard to deal with. Even though it does not have much range to it (Dragon Gunner that is) 66K (Dragon Knee) will make you think twice about ducking.

You need to make sure you have room to move if your worried about Jann Lee's 66K. You have to space out his 66K. If he is not in range of 66K then he cannot Dragon Gunner you. The range of 66k is about 2.30m and Dragon gunner is 1.70...(sorry not at home so I don't remember the exact distance of DG.)

While fighting Jann Lee up close you need to be aware of his frame data. His Dragon Gunner is 23 frames. DG is not fast and can be someone easy to react to offline. With that being said its harder to deal with when Jann Lee has you stunned or has frame advantage putting more pressure on you to do something. The only non risky way to deal with it is to read the Jann Lee player and duck accordingly or throwing it. Like if the Jann Lee player always does it off of a certain stun or after a certain set up. I would recommend going for a normal throw. This way you don't waste frames with inputs possible causing yourself to get hit by DG anyway. Tina's normal throw is great here due to the fact that is it unbreakable.

Now in the dark evil world we know of called "online play" the Dragon Gunner is very scary. A big part of DOA is strings and free canceling. In the world of "online play" Jann Lee can easily mix you up with something like P,6P (on guard) free cancel Dragon Gunner. P,6P is -11 on block and you should be able to tell he free cancelled. This would normally allow for you to interrupt his Dragon Gunner attempt. Even if he were to keep attacking you could interrupt him. BUT in the world of online play he can do things like that (the whole cast can really.) Which gives the Dragon Gunner a lot more power then it actually has.

What you need to do to make sure you don't get raped by the Dragon Gunner are as follows...

Keep moving - Don't allow the Jann Lee player the ability to easily gauge where you will be at on the stage. Standing still will make it easy for the Jann Lee player to throw the Dragon Gunner at you. If you space correctly he will at least have to mix it up with 66K.

Know Jann Lee's strings - Knowing when his strings end is important. Attacking to early or not at all is bad and will allow the Jann Lee player to spam the Dragon Gunner.

Look for patterns - Again does the Jann Lee player always go for one stun set up then DG? Does he free cancel a lot into DG?

Know your options - This part is important. If you are worried about the Jann Lee player DGing you after there strings make sure you space whenever you think his string is being free cancelled. You can free walk away by doing a quick 8,7,4 movement. This will make the Jann Lee player at least have to dash at you to get his DG off.

Lastly I'd like to remind people that as of the 1.03 patch crouching speed has tripled. A lot of times due to the crouching speed being so slow (in the 1.00 - 1.02 versions of the game) you were unable to crouch in time.

This turned more into "dealing with" the Dragon Gunner then punishing it. Like I said before you can catch Jann Lee with an attack while he is recovering from whiffing it via your spacing or a duck. You can also throw punish it for high counter throw damage.

As I think of more I'll post.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD