System Stun types?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Are there official names for the stun types? There's the type where they sit on the floor and can't hold. There's type where they crumple forward and can't slow escape. There's the type where they fall back onto the floor and can't slow escape or hold. What other types are there and what's are the names used to refer to them?

There'a also the new fancy VF5S additions described in this thread:

http://freestepdodge.com/threads/list-of-vf5fs-gameplay-additions-to-5u.3338/

As far as stun types, there aren't really categories. But if it helps, you can remember them as three kinds: shallow (ex: most characters' 3k), heavy (ex: most characters's 3p), and unholdable (which I believe is only sit down stuns, as characters in bound are considered to be airborne). The degree of stun is determined on a per-move basis, based on stun inflicted and move type. In training, you can see the frame advantage of the move on hit (and also with stagger escape set to various speeds) to see if a move's stun causes a shallow or heavy stun.

As a general rule, in DOA4, shallow stuns were meant for frame advantage. The stuns were too short to SE from, and the opponent could block at the end of the stun. Heavy stuns were meant to force the opponent to make a choice (hold or SE). A lot of this still applies in DOA5U. I think there are also some heavy stuns in DOA5 that force the opponent to wait to be able to hold. Unholdable stuns offer no choice to the opponent. So that's it, how I understand them in a nutshell. Hope it helps.

d3v

Regular hitstun - no critical state, no holds
Shallow Critical stun - meant for frame advantage, to short to SE or Hold out of.
Deep Critical stun - Opponent has choice to hold or SE
Sit down stun - unholdable

That's in addition to the FLOP, Back Blast, Heavy Bound, Spinning Knockdown and Head-over-heels-Knockdown that VirtuaPai detailed in this thread.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD