Community Tournament Scene support even if you can't attend.

What do you think about a tournament donation initiative for community members who can't attend?

• Total voters

RhythmikDesigns

This post is prompted by a post that SU made on Facebook.

For those who want to support the offline scene, but can't attend, how would you feel about donating to a pot for tournies where DOA is a featured game? The idea isn't original, as a few Injustice community members just did this for FRXVII, but its something I've thought about for a long long time now even to the point where I wondered why TOs don't already have such an option for all games that are playing at their events on there registration websites.

I haven't figured out all of the logistics yet, but I think it could definitely work even if its something we do ourselves.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
This is something I was talking about with a few TOs months ago. It might be done at an upcoming event. Not limited to DOA.

Last edited:

RhythmikDesigns

This is something I was talking about with a few TOs about months ago. It might be done at an upcoming event. Not limited to DOA.
Oh ok. Cool. Yeah I would love to see something like this for all games and glad To hear TOs are considering it.
So do you believe something like this is best left with TOs and if they don't do it then thats that, or do you think even if they dont the community can come together and do it on their own?

Tenren

This is going to sound more like a rant so bare with me lol. Ive been going over this issue over the past few weeks debating on if I wanted to start a thread over it or not. This affect not just DOA but all the FGC. First and foremost offering pot bonus to a group that is not willing to come out unless there is a bonus is a bad idea. Sooner or later it wont be enough money and we'll have to keep getting more money. Or why would I give up money if Im not getting anything back will start to happen. Sure if we have something like Segacup. That one big tournament for our game every year. But then that starts to hurt as well. Segacup has kept people from coming out for VF @ other majors. They rather just save for Segacup.

Id rather look for other ideas first. To get more people. Help the pot grow with entries. Then then add pot bonus. 2012 Kof EVO offered a free one of a kind KoF Mai t-shirt to paid entries. They got a huge number but come tournament day not even half showed up for brackets. Either way the idea work and they still had a very nice pot. The t-shirt thing may work once but Im open to ideas like this. How about something like a cap bonus. Sponsors add money only if the cap is hit. Or talk with TO to allow us to raffle off something donated to add to the pot.

Another problem arises with the donate idea. The same thing happened last year for EVO save the breast. We were trying to get TO's to put up cups @ tournaments for DOA and other game. Only issue is can that person be trusted to give all the money up for the game. If it does work we could even have a box on site for people to throw in money. Call it the donate to DOA top 3 or 8 or something.

Sure last years 5k pot bonus was nice. And there was like 90 people who played. But can we say that 70% of thos people really believed they had a chance to win. 99% chance you travel cost will out weight what you make. Ruff estimate a $500 lastmin flight ticket and $90 room fee for 3 days-by yourself is $770. Not including spending money. Now unless your planing on making top 3 in SF4 or Marvel your losing money. Now Im sure we got a cheaper ticket and staying with friends no hotel $300 total your still looking to break even. Or come out +$100 from winnings. ---Maybe.
We need to realize, your dreams about being a pro fighting gamer are over. Thos day are gone.

Deep down i really do like pot bonus they do work. But tournaments that dont offer one get hurt. Look at pre-reg for FR this year. If it keeps up majors will start to drop our game. Why have a game that no one wants to come out and play. Lastly sponsor dont wanna add money to a game that people dont support!

Another issue we need to get over is tournaments starting on Friday. As major get bigger this has become the norm. Everything started Friday at SCR. Then either top 8 or 32>16 on Sat and Biggest turnout games finals Sunday. Same thing happens @ EVO. If DOA made EVO it would start Friday. Get over it. If you wanna come out and support you game. Your gonna have to take a day off. If in school I under stand at least come out and watch when you can. The DOA setup was right in front of the main doors this year at SCR. Same isle as all the merchant booths and only tournament game in the middle. Alex told me on setup night he wanted it were people would see it. He wanted us to have a crowd so people got interested. And it worked. Come grand finals almost everyone in the room was screaming yeah as jackie said it. It was really awesome to watch the crowd get into it.

Lets look at turnout for 3D games at SCR,
VF5FS had 17 people if remember day of.
SC2 SCV had 32-37 people day of
DOA had 32 day of
TTT2 had 54 is if remember right

DOA had more then VF and the same as SC. TTT2 did have more but is a bigger tournament game. To get half of what TTT2 did Im happy.

RhythmikDesigns

This is going to sound more like a rant so bare with me lol. Ive been going over this issue over the past few weeks debating on if I wanted to start a thread over it or not. This affect not just DOA but all the FGC. First and foremost offering pot bonus to a group that is not willing to come out unless there is a bonus is a bad idea. Sooner or later it wont be enough money and we'll have to keep getting more money. Or why would I give up money if Im not getting anything back will start to happen. Sure if we have something like Segacup. That one big tournament for our game every year. But then that starts to hurt as well. Segacup has kept people from coming out for VF @ other majors. They rather just save for Segacup.

Id rather look for other ideas first. To get more people. Help the pot grow with entries. Then then add pot bonus. 2012 Kof EVO offered a free one of a kind KoF Mai t-shirt to paid entries. They got a huge number but come tournament day not even half showed up for brackets. Either way the idea work and they still had a very nice pot. The t-shirt thing may work once but Im open to ideas like this. How about something like a cap bonus. Sponsors add money only if the cap is hit. Or talk with TO to allow us to raffle off something donated to add to the pot.

Another problem arises with the donate idea. The same thing happened last year for EVO save the breast. We were trying to get TO's to put up cups @ tournaments for DOA and other game. Only issue is can that person be trusted to give all the money up for the game. If it does work we could even have a box on site for people to throw in money. Call it the donate to DOA top 3 or 8 or something.

Sure last years 5k pot bonus was nice. And there was like 90 people who played. But can we say that 70% of thos people really believed they had a chance to win. 99% chance you travel cost will out weight what you make. Ruff estimate a $500 lastmin flight ticket and $90 room fee for 3 days-by yourself is $770. Not including spending money. Now unless your planing on making top 3 in SF4 or Marvel your losing money. Now Im sure we got a cheaper ticket and staying with friends no hotel $300 total your still looking to break even. Or come out +$100 from winnings. ---Maybe.
We need to realize, your dreams about being a pro fighting gamer are over. Thos day are gone.

Deep down i really do like pot bonus they do work. But tournaments that dont offer one get hurt. Look at pre-reg for FR this year. If it keeps up majors will start to drop our game. Why have a game that no one wants to come out and play. Lastly sponsor dont wanna add money to a game that people dont support!

Another issue we need to get over is tournaments starting on Friday. As major get bigger this has become the norm. Everything started Friday at SCR. Then either top 8 or 32>16 on Sat and Biggest turnout games finals Sunday. Same thing happens @ EVO. If DOA made EVO it would start Friday. Get over it. If you wanna come out and support you game. Your gonna have to take a day off. If in school I under stand at least come out and watch when you can. The DOA setup was right in front of the main doors this year at SCR. Same isle as all the merchant booths and only tournament game in the middle. Alex told me on setup night he wanted it were people would see it. He wanted us to have a crowd so people got interested. And it worked. Come grand finals almost everyone in the room was screaming yeah as jackie said it. It was really awesome to watch the crowd get into it.

Lets look at turnout for 3D games at SCR,
VF5FS had 17 people if remember day of.
SC2 SCV had 32-37 people day of
DOA had 32 day of
TTT2 had 54 is if remember right

DOA had more then VF and the same as SC. TTT2 did have more but is a bigger tournament game. To get half of what TTT2 did Im happy.
While you make some valid points, and I do apologize for not stating this in my OP, but i really brought this up because there have been times where there is a tourney I can't attend and wished I could have still purchased an entry but couldn't because you still to pay the venue fee. I'm thinking more along the lines of more support within the community. Ofc the best way support is to get to events themselves, but I would think something is better than nothing. I'm not saying this will be a tool that will draw more atendance or grow our community significantly, but if that were to happen I wouldn't be mad. But really, in my mind, I envision it more like the donation buttons you see on certain twitch channels where no is obligated but if you really really enjoy the content then you can donate. The trust issue great point, I think there are ways to make the process transparent whether if it was TO-sponsored or community- sponsored.

Tenren

The donating would have to have happen before the event. During the event it would only work at the event. The whole box idea. A stream would be cool that donated but there is just no way to get thos number during the event. Maybe at a smaller tournament but not at a major. I like the idea but it will get turned into the money for pots issue. Were people dont wanna go cuz no one donated to said tournament. Event holders & TO first and foremost look at numbers. If we cant get thos up there will be game to donate for. We could pick 1 major that is like our own EVO and donate to that. But then it turns into the whole Segacup issue. Were other tournaments suffer cuz everyone wants to go to the big 1 now.

I like the idea and thread you started. We need to come together as a community and talk about it now before its to late

RhythmikDesigns

Yeah the donation option would be something on the event' s website almost like registering without registering, if that makes any sense. But I don't know if it would necessarily turn into an issue with pot money because those who plan on going to an event usually do so without regards to the pot size. I say usually because I do know there are some who only show when there is big money but I don't thumb that is the litmus test for the entire scene. Now your idea for maybe doing it for a big major, I can get with. But you're right in we have to get our attendance up regardless, just have that option of support in some manner even if you can't attend I think would be awesome. I had planned to go to KIT and WB but because on real life circumstances I couldn't. But had i had the option to throw some money in the pot just to show support I would have in a heartbeat.

But you're right we just have to come together and discuss it as a community.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I like that people are starting to think of ways to create greater turn out at tournaments.

I honestly feel that the most effective way to generate more people is to have people host more offline gatherings of their own. You'd be surprised how far people are willing to travel just to play offline with a bunch of friends. Hell, I'm driving 3 and a half hours this Saturday.

Once you can generate that feeling of comradery, people start showing up at the events to hang out. I don't go into those things thinking I'm going to make a profit. It's a hobby. Sharing my hobby with others who like my hobby is awesome.

Good idea good luck finding someone in the DOA Community to hold that donated money! You deposit that money into my account and I'm using it to sip Mai Tai's and smoke crack rock.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I believe the current thought process is the TO would accept the donation on their website.

So like instead of checking off "Pre-registering for DOA5U" you would say "Donating for DOA5U prize".
There could be a running tally on the prize donation for each game advertised on the site.
Donations would stop the day before the event, or sometime before the event.

I personally believe this added influx of cash would 1) support the players who are able to attend by giving them a chance of making back some dough even if the game doesn't have a three-digit turnout. 2) if the prizes get to a high amount consistently then perhaps the FGC can begin paying out to Top 8 instead of Top 3 - but that's another story. 3) It drives added exposure for the event by the community, and as the prize increases, perhaps there are more people swayed into participating at the event.

GrimreapeR

I have been thinking about this very idea for quite some time now. A fact in the business world is money talks and the incentive of friendship is great but not enough for people to go out of their way to travel for events on the other side of the country. I believe this is a great idea to help bring more awareness to this game. Money however, is a tricky game in itself. If we started this, we need to make sure we can trust individuals to actually make it to an event instead of "saying" that they will go. I do think that the DOA community is the best by far in terms of being kind and supportive so this shouldn't be a problem.

What would be more interesting is if an online tournament would be held and the winners will have a chance to go to the next big event. Not only will this be a great opportunity for players who are lesser known in the community, it brings a bigger turnout. Food for thought as they say. Hopefully this can make the front page to let everyone know about this great idea with more feedback.

Ken_Jammin

I think its an awesome idea, I would easily donate to pots and I've never even been to a tournament. I'd love to see how tournament players handle a tough fight knowing more money is on the line. I'm not one for going to these events but i still would love a way to support the community because I think its healthy for the progression of the game when stars like SweetRevenge prove that theirs a lot of skill associated with staying at the top.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD