Which throw do you prefer?

Codemaster92163

Pai has 3 throws that guarantee her an attack (and in one case, an entire combo) after it. These would be 24T, 64T, and 46T. And so, I'm curious - which do you like the most? There's not many Pai players, and even fewer on these forums, so I expect the responses to be limited, but we might as well share what we consider pros (and cons too) of her throws.

While I really like that everything is guaranteed from 24T, and you can always get a force tech off of it (though not for long), I'm always been a huge fan of 64T. In fact, my staple string for it hasn't changed since I first learned Pai, even with all of the changes to her.

24T doesn't give me much damage potential, and 46T doesn't have a key property that I love so much about 64T. That being the initial stun is literally a stun (6P) whereas P____ for starting her 64T can be canceled right off the bat into another throw. I'm sure we've all seen it; people begin to catch onto countering the second high punch/kick in any of her strings, so it's fun to see people instantly counter (or not, since P by itself doesn't leave them in any deep stun) and be re-thrown instantly.

Timasty

I would actually increase the amount of throws (giving pressure) to 6:

46T Dmg: 20 / 25 / 30 F: [ 10 (2) 25 ]

pros:
- Low FA without (+13FA) / with 6P (+18FA)
- Double grab (excluding timing) 63214T
- Guaranteed 6P / 3P+K
- Wall pressure (3P+K P PPKK)
cons:
- Damage gets reduced to 100%
- +18 FA after 6P; +11 FA after 6P at SE fastest which makes only her P guaranteed

It's always good to use the 46T instead of the 64T to mix things up. I use it very often for wall pressure since it does take a lot of damage (85+ dmg). Why I don't/wouldn't use this grab too often is the 50-50 situation. Am I going to grab again or use the strike 6P? Doesn't really make the fight interesting/fun so I rather go for a 64T or 2_4T giving lots of options. I'd prefer this grab for Pai beginners 'cause it's easy to handle and doesn't require lots of knowledge, since she only has the guaranteed 6P after it.

64T Dmg: 20 / 25 / 30 F: [ 10 (2) 25 ]

pros:
- Guaranteed P / 6P / 9K (/33P)
- Guaranteed 64P / 44P (if foe doesn't low strike/guard)
- Double grab (excluding timing) 46T / 64T
- Able to get the damage increased by 125% with 6P / 9K / 64P / 44P (or even P+K for a SDS CR. Lvl 1 giving lots of sweet options if used the 2_3P+K) IF opponent tries to strike (mostly low)
- Low FA after 64T P (+14FA)
cons:
- Damage gets reduced to NH % if used P or after every other guranteed hit
- Not easy to hit against wall with 3P+K after 64T since it doesn't switch sides 180°

A grab I would defenitely prefer. Knowing if your opponent tries to strike everytime he's BT by using for example the 9K move is really helpful. Am I able to grab again? Or am I able to get a CH SDS CR. Lvl 1? I'd say you have to be more or less skilled with Pai to use this grab properly, 'cause else you can get countered pretty easily.

2_4T Dmg: 5 / 6 / 7 F: [ 12 (2) 26 ]

pros:
- Guaranteed combo using 66H+K or 2_3P+K
- Lots of guaranteed hits such as 66P+K, 66P, 66H+K, 4K (whiffs against Gen Fu, Rachel, Eliot, Lisa & Tina ver. 1.04), 46P+K, (dash) P+K etc.
- Keeps the damage of CH & HCH
- up to 1 CB setups
cons:
- 12 frames needed + crouch (costs 1F as far as I know)

Every Pai player should use this grab. This grab can be used very easily by just using the 66H+K SDS or using more complicated stuff to keep the pressure. The only problem of this grab is to crouch first which can be confusing but other then that, it's brilliant.

2_6T Dmg: 52 / 65 / 78 F: [ 10 (2) 25 ]

pros:
- Good amount of damage
- Pseudo FT 2P giving +36 FA; 99.9% you're able to hit with 2P (which is always safe) ; opponent mostly stands up after 2P hit ; if not, use another 2P to force him to get up. After pseudo FT & opponent stands up, use: grab / unblockable kick / low strike / strike giving positive FA such as 46H+K, 4P etc. / tracking moves like 1H+K or 4K
cons:
- No guaranteed combo / hit
- must crouch first
- 2P is does not force the enemy to get up from the ground

This is one of my fav. throws since the 2P fits so well. It's actually not even a pressure grab like the others but I still do like to count it as one (you'll see if you play online and start using it). Shows how your opponent reacts to not forced get-up hits. (It's very similar to a med jumping strike hold where you can also use the 2P as a not forced get-up ground strike)

3T Dmg: 0 / 0 / 0 F: [ 5 (2) 21 ]
pros:
- Guaranteed 6P / 2P
- Guaranteed P / 64P / 2P P (if foe doesn't low strike/guard)
- Double grab (excluding timing) 46T / 64T
- Able to get the damage increased by 125% with 6P (/ 2P) / 2P P
cons:
- Damage gets reduced to NH % after 6P / 2P
- Takes 0 damage
- Amount of possibilities is nearly down to zero
A risky grab. But defenitely a grab which should be used for a throw punish since it's 0 damage on NH / CH / HCH. Only skilled Pai players should use it imo.

33T Dmg: 5 / 6 / 7 F: [ 10 (3) 30 ]

pros:
- Guaranteed CB burst at HCH
- Guaranteed PB (80 dmg) & PL (125% damage!!)
- Lots of lots of possibilities
- CH (125%) & HCH (150%) damage stays
- good guaranteed damage

A risky move since it needs/costs lots of startup & recovery frames, but once you're able to get it, you're able to do so much stuff dealing a good amount of damage. Should defenitely be used against low hold spammers. Should be used to more or less skilled Pai players imo since it kinda is risky and requires good ideas what to do after it.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD