Why are there no real grapplers in DOA?

Argentus

Like...you'd think Tina, Bass and Bayman would be it, but nobody every grapples with them, instead striking for stuns. OCCASSIONALLY I'll see a Bayman using his tank rolls to go in for a grapple, which I think is the closes I see in DOA to a real grappler.

Like...I play Mila and Leon as grapplers, but all that really comes down to "they can mount downed opponents"

When i say Grappler, I mean characters who are built to specialize in grapples. Like Tina and Bass have like 30 different grapples, but almost none of them are practical enough to actually use in a fight.

When I think Grappler, I think of like, Alex in Street Fighter, who has an anti air grapple, a standard grapl, a headbutt grapple, a suplex grapple (Would be an OH in DOA) which is a powerbomb on forward facing opponents, has a leaping headlock that is also an OH. Basically a grappler for every situation, rather than having to combo into the grabs. Which, I think, defeats the entire purpose of a grappler.

Or Sheeva in MK9 who has armored grapples for airborne, standard, and crouching opponents. Thats a lot fewer grabs, but its also a grab for every possible situation, and it all she needed.

There was very little need to combo or jab with either one once you learned how to use their various grapples.

So my question is...why aren't there any characters like that in DOA? Why aren't there any characters you can focus exclusively with grapples? I guess Mila would be close, since virtually everything she does leads to one of her mounts but....i dunno.

Intelligent Alpha

DOA is ultimately striked-based, that's why and what's with the incoming thread splurging? Are you bored? TBF, every character can be grapple-exclusive aka "Punish me, bitch!" but that's rarely seen and if it is done, you get complaints. Ironically, I complained about it, but I'm now doing it. It is bad that all parts of the triangle aren't used or some parts are focused on more than others. It is what it is though.

Argentus

DOA is ultimately striked-based, that's why and what's with the incoming thread splurging? Are you bored? TBF, every character can be grapple-exclusive aka "Punish me, bitch!" but that's rarely seen and if it is done, you get complaints. Ironically, I complained about it, but I'm now doing it. It is bad that all parts of the triangle aren't used or some parts are focused on more than others. It is what it is though.
1) Two threads in two seperate areas of the site is not "thread splurging."

2) No, that's not being a grappler, that IS just spamming grab lol. There's a difference. Like the Hitomis who spam her knee to the face.

3) Just disappointing is all. Especially since we have who are supposed to be 6 different grapplers, but they can't really be used as grapplers. Or at least, AREN'T used as grapplers.

Intelligent Alpha

Again, strikes take huge priority. Sure, holds stop them, but holds get spammed, too which leads to throw spamming, but throw spamming is bad. Then again, t isn't since a strike beats it! And combos don't come from throws and when thrown, you increase your chance of a malignant reset because throws really reset the scenario!

ie: Mila can ground-pound all day, but the moment she stops ... see?

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Play more Bass and Bayman.

Or look at videos of Mr. Wah playing Bass. Go actually look for them, they exist.

Argentus

Or look at videos of Mr. Wah playing Bass. Go actually look for them, they exist.
I'll do that. Every Armstrong I fight just tries to do critburst strings over and over. I'm actually trying to pick up Tina and learn her as a grappler.

Can't do Bayman though. His new dudebro looks pisses me off too much.

Koompbala

I think I fit the definition of what would be a grappler in your eyes. Do you play on xbox? I been back for a week now. I'm revising my guide right now actually. I'm working on anti character strats currently. Yeah I'll combo, but I like going for her strongest grab. People rage, so hard when they get hit by it. It's pretty great although the hate is real with her. Just be wary of that fact.

UpSideDownGRUNT

If the slightest mistake isn't countered with a HiC throw for like big damage or an OH by a Tina/Bass player they're playing that character wrong, throw punishment is key essential to graps in this game and pretty much everyone in general.

CB setups and stuff are cool an' all but people need to remember the classic DOA play as well when it wasn't just about poke stunning to victory.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I'll do that. Every Armstrong I fight just tries to do critburst strings over and over. I'm actually trying to pick up Tina and learn her as a grappler.

Master turns this game into Ninja Gaiden Black. Mr wah turns this game into ST.
This one is my personal favorite.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
One way to really get the idea that you are playng a grappler is to do what all the grappler mains say to do but nobody does. Throw punish.

Lol. My phone auto spells grappler as grape.

synce

Hey I recognize that last match :p Props to Wah. Anyway I think it is possible to play an aggressive grapple style in 5U, you just need a character with good OHes. Before they neutered Mila I was going for tackles like crazy.

Koompbala

I hate his new DMC hair also I pick his out with the beanie or beret.
One way to really get the idea that you are playng a grappler is to do what all the grappler mains say to do but nobody does. Throw punish.

Lol. My phone auto spells grappler as grape.

Which is what I do since Tina can punish more. I try to take advantage of that fact.

Argentus

Hey I recognize that last match :p Props to Wah. Anyway I think it is possible to play an aggressive grapple style in 5U, you just need a character with good OHes. Before they neutered Mila I was going for tackles like crazy.
"Neutered"? I still do it like crazy, and it still works like a charm, especially now that there's even more ways to mount em!

Unless you just mean the infinite or safety on guard break, neither of which are really an issue.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD