Why "Free Step Dodge"?

synce

When I google 'Dead or Alive forum' FSD doesn't show up in the first 5 pages, if at all... And I remember when I first heard the name I had no idea it was DOA related. I think Izuna Drop is a better name. You could have arrows in every direction! Seriously though, put DOA somewhere in the title. The non anime nerd DOA community could use some expansion

Tenren

really this forum isnt that old yet. Most of the google pages pull up old doac threads. Im not 100% why FSD was chosen. But I figure it is to get away from DOAC and show that its a forum that actual concentrates on the fundamentals. When your new and you learn what a free step dodge is, you go ooohhhhh I get it lol. Why is SRk called SRK and not street-fighters or capcom something. Now that they are trying to be a base for all fighters, the name makes less sence lol.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
We liked the Sidestep system in 3.1 which was called the Free Step Dodge because it was dodging by using the Free Step system. In addition, we wanted to pave a new direction for the competitive community of Dead or Alive and start a brand new website fresh, so the unofficial tagline at the time was "Stepping into a new direction" (You'll also notice my signature relates to stepping as well). It was considered an advanced technique to Dead or Alive that we wanted to merge with the desire of being an advanced site for the Dead or Alive series.

Both Virtuapai and myself do not like all the attention the Ninjas (especially Ryu and Kasumi) receive for the game - we're personally a fan of the non-ninjas like Tina, Lei Fang, Jann Lee, and Bass. Yes, it was going against an already established marketing niche, but we weren't specifically looking for a "DOA" fansite in the same vein as the others. We accept casual discussion and fan appreciation here, we just don't have it as the focus of the site. In that regard, names like Izuna Otoshi, Izuna Drop, and Mugen Tenshin were disregarded. Naming it after Hayabusa or anything related to him could also give off the impression that it would be a DOA/Ninja Gaiden site, which again wasn't the focus. Since no other moves are synonymous with DOA like Shoryuken is with Street Fighter, barring "Dragon kick" from Jann Lee but it being too vague caused its demise. We also didn't want to bring more heat to the most glaring complaint of the game: The Defensive Hold. So we couldn't use that as well.

We were additionally paying homage to 8WayRun as well as Jaxel was a good friend of Hubbs and myself through our offline tournaments, and would go on to aid us in converting the forums to XenForo.

Lastly, it's because I said so; the community makes the name, the name doesn't make the community. If the community continues to post here then Google and other browsers would eventually start linking here with Dead or Alive search queries. This site is meant to spread through word of mouth much like we want the competitive community to grow through the grassroots community.

Raansu

Pretty much what Sorwah said. It's his site and his vision, but most of us here feel the same way. We wanted to get away from what the other doa sites bring in. Most of the older members of this site are big supporters of doa3.1 and many of us prefer to talk about DoA game mechanics over having a bunch of threads in general chat/chit chat and whatnot.

We are much more serious about the game, but unfortunately many doa players outside our views tend to get the wrong idea and feel that we are trying to be elitists, which is really not the case. It doesn't help that I'm really blunt about everything I say and sometimes Sorwah and Rikuto have to kick me in the ass sometimes to have me back off a subject lol.

But ya, I view this site as a place for people that love the series but want it to be much more competitive. We want the game to grow, but we want it to grow as a competitive fighter. This is why some of us seem so harsh about everything being mentioned in doa5. After doa4 many of us are just being more cautious I suppose.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD