System Would a "Sway" mechanic work in doa?

Argentus

Was thinking during a slow part of the work shift today. I was remembering back in the Budokai and Tenkaichi DBZ games, there was a "Sway" mechanic.

Here is a few clips of it, if you don't know what I'm talking about.

and again at 0:27

And for seeing it in a more traditional 3d fighter (like how it would work in DOA), at 12:07

So I was thinking...what if this were an alternative to holds? Not a REPLACEMENT mind you, but an additional option, another tool in the game? So rather than canceling an opponents attack with a punishment grapple, as Holds, do, what if instead you could quickly dodge their attack for a regular punish? Some sidesteps and stances can do this, like Crushes, I realize as I'm typing this, but I mean something you can do any time you could do a regular Hold.

For example, rather than pushing a direction and guard to hold, you could instead tap guard right as an attack would hit to simply dodge it, then you can do a punishing hit like if you were doing a sidestep attack, but without the actually stepping to the side. You could possibly dodge entire portions of strings and punish in mid attacking string. It would probably need some balancing mechanic, like raising stun on you if you mess it up, or something. OR another possibly, maybe you can't punish, but its a way to simply avoid attacks during rushdown. That or its a way to punish safe strings/moves (being able to immediately counterattack what would be safe on block, but unsafe on evasion). As you can see I can think of multiple possible uses for such a mechanic.

What do you think? Would something like that add to DOA? I'm hoping it would, in theory, but not sure how it would pan out in practice. Might just result in seeing a lot of people twitchguarding as they try to mash the timing. Not even sure if I'm imagining a correct implementation of it, but I feel like it would be a good mechanic for DOA, if properly fleshed out. (I already know there's a lot of people who would hate it simply because its a defensive option though lol)

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Was thinking during a slow part of the work shift today. I was remembering back in the Budokai and Tenkaichi DBZ games, there was a "Sway" mechanic.

Here is a few clips of it, if you don't know what I'm talking about.

and again at 0:27

And for seeing it in a more traditional 3d fighter (like how it would work in DOA), at 12:07

So I was thinking...what if this were an alternative to holds? Not a REPLACEMENT mind you, but an additional option, another tool in the game? So rather than canceling an opponents attack with a punishment grapple, as Holds, do, what if instead you could quickly dodge their attack for a regular punish? Some sidesteps and stances can do this, like Crushes, I realize as I'm typing this, but I mean something you can do any time you could do a regular Hold.

For example, rather than pushing a direction and guard to hold, you could instead tap guard right as an attack would hit to simply dodge it, then you can do a punishing hit like if you were doing a sidestep attack, but without the actually stepping to the side. You could possibly dodge entire portions of strings and punish in mid attacking string. It would probably need some balancing mechanic, like raising stun on you if you mess it up, or something. OR another possibly, maybe you can't punish, but its a way to simply avoid attacks during rushdown. That or its a way to punish safe strings/moves (being able to immediately counterattack what would be safe on block, but unsafe on evasion). As you can see I can think of multiple possible uses for such a mechanic.

What do you think? Would something like that add to DOA? I'm hoping it would, in theory, but not sure how it would pan out in practice. Might just result in seeing a lot of people twitchguarding as they try to mash the timing. Not even sure if I'm imagining a correct implementation of it, but I feel like it would be a good mechanic for DOA, if properly fleshed out. (I already know there's a lot of people who would hate it simply because its a defensive option though lol)

If they simply ripped off VF's evasion/tracking mechanic then this game would be perfect.

I think they could do it and still keep the free step system.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
That's exactly what the system currently implemented into the game is supposed to be.

It simply isn't as consistent, because they decided it shouldn't be.

Feel free to argue with them on that.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD