Akira Combo Thread

Goro Hazuki

In an attempt to make things a tad bit more organised, I thought I'd make a thread for Akira's combos as well. The title says it all, share your Akira combos and I'll keep things updated on the front page as frequent as I can.

640pxdoa5akira2.png

======================== NOTATIONS =======================
Icon - Designation - Short Notation
:P: - Punch - P
:K: - Kick - K
:F: - Free - F
:h: - Hold - H
:+: - Combination of Multiple Buttons - +
Press that Direction Once - Short Notation - Hold that Direction
:7: :8: :9: - 7 8 9 - :7_: :8_: :9_:
:4: :Link: :6: - 4 5 6 - :4_: :Link: :6_:
:1: :2: :3: - 1 2 3 - :1_: :2_: :3_:

(Credit to Kupo for notations above)

Other notations:

(:h:):+::K:: Just Frame Knee
(:P:): Just Hit Punch
:6:(:4:): Forward or Back
:8:(:2:): Up or Down

Goro Hazuki

Let's kick it off with some guaranteed combos. The damage may seem limited, but remember that the following combos can work in any situation and were tested under fastest recover and fastest critical hold settings. Basically, if you land the first hit, nothing can stop you from landing the rest (guaranteed under the strictest measures).

Normal Hit Combos:

NHC1: :3::3::P:,:214::P:,:2::P:,:3::6::P:(:P:)(55 Damage)

NHC2: :3::3::P:,:214::P:,:2::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (60 Damage)

NHC3: :3::3::P:,:P:,:2::H+K::P:(:P:) (45 Damage)

NHC4: :3::3::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (65 Damage)

NHC5: :3::3::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (60 Damage)

NHC6: :3::3::P:,:214::P:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (54 Damage)

NHC7: :4::6::P:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (46 Damage)

NHC8: :4::6::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (55 Damage)

NHC9: :4::6::P:,:6::6::K::K: (44 Damage)

NHC10: :4::6::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:6::6::K::K: (53 Damage)

NHC11: :4::6::P:,:4::6::6::P+K: (46 Damage)

NHC12::4::6::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (61 Damage)

NHC13: (:h:):+::K:,:P:,(:h:):+::K:,:P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (65 Damage)

NHC14: (:h:):+::K:,:P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (57 Damage)

NHC15: :3::3::P:,:6_::P:,:4::3::P:,:2::P:,:1::4::6::P: (58 Damage; Credit: Wali)

NHC16: :3::3::P:,:6_::P:,:4::6::P:,:1::4::6::P: (55 Damage; Credit: Wali)

Counter Hit Combos:

CHC1: :6::K::P:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (59 Damage)

CHC2: :6::K::P:,:2::P:,:3::6::P:(:P:) (60 Damage)

CHC3: :6::K::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (71 Damage)

CHC4: :6::K::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::6::P:(:P:) (72 Damage)

CHC5: :6::K::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (64 Damage)

CHC6: :6::6::6::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (61 Damage)

CHC7: (:h:):+::K:,:214::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (74 Damage)

CHC8: :6::6::6::P:,:6_::P:,:h:, :6_::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (71 Damage; Credit: Wali)

Sit-Down Combos:

SDC1: :214::P:, :6::K::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (69 Damage)

SDC2: :214::P:, :6::K::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (74 Damage)

SDC3: :214::P:, :6::K::P:, :2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (65 Damage)

SDC4: :214::P:, :6::K::P:, :2::P:,:3::6::P:(:P:) (66 Damage)

SDC5: :214::P:, :6::6::K:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (63 Damage)

SDC6: :214::P:, :6::6::K:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (68 Damage)

SDC7: :214::P:,:4::6::6::P+K: (53 Damage)

SDC8: :214::P:,:H+K::P:(fully charged) (59 Damage)

SDC9: :4::P::P+K:,:6::6::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (55 Damage, 1st hit must whiff)

SDC10: :4::P::P+K:,:6::6::K:,:2::P:,:3::6::P:(:P:) (56 Damage, 1st hit must whiff)

Wall Slam Combos:

WSC1: :214::P:,:6::6::P:,:6::6::K::K: (78 Damage)

WSC2: :214::P:,:6::6::P:, (:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (89 Damage)

WSC3: :214::P:,:6::6::P:,:4::6::6::P+K: (80 Damage)

WSC4: :214::P:,:6::6::P:, :2::P:, :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (86 Damage)

WSC5: :214::P:,:6::6::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:(93 Damage)

WSC6: :4::6::P:,(:h:):+::K:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (79 Damage)

WSC7: :4::6::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (83 Damage)

Slippery Surface Combos:

SLC1: :3::P+K:,:6::K::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (61 Damage)

SLC2: :3::P+K:,:6::K::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (65 Damage)

SLC3: :3::P+K:,:3::3::P:,:P:,:4::3::P:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (59 Damage)

SLC4: :3::P+K:,:3::3::P:,(:h:):+::K:,:P:,(:h:):+::K:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (72 Damage)

SLC5: :3::P+K:,:6::6::6::P:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (47 Damage)

SLC6: :3::P+K:,:6::6::6::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (51 Damage)

SLC7: :3::P+K:,:4::3::P:,:6::6::K:,:2::P:,:3::4::6::P: (58 Damage)

SLC8: :3::P+K:,:4::3::P:,:6::6::K:,:2::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (63 Damage)

SLC9: :3::P+K:,:4::3::P:,:6::6::6::P:,:2::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (65 Damage)

SLC10: :3::P+K:,(:h:):+::K:,:P:,(:h:):+::K:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (64 Damage)

SLC11: :3::P+K:,:P+K::4::3::H+P::6:(:4:):P: (76 Damage)

After Throw Combos:

ATC1: :6::4::H+P:, :2::H+K::P:(:P:) (43 Damage)

ATC2: :6::4::H+P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: (49 Damage)

Many more to come. Next update: Heavy Opponent Combos..

RoboJoe

With the changed properties and inputs of his moves it's hard to come up with combos without playing as him but here's two that should be guaranteed.

:6::P+K:, :4::6::P:, :2::H+K:,:P:,:2::P:,:2_: :4::6::P: (Should work on everybody)

:6::P+K:, :4::6::P:, :2::H+K:,:P:,:2::P:,:2_: :6::P:,:P: (Probably won't work on heavyweights)

Note: I'm assuming :6::P+K: is the new notation for his :6::F+P+K: in vf5.

Goro Hazuki

I've got bad news. The :4::6::P:,:2::H+K:,:P: does not connect anymore. This was one the first things I noticed because I use that all the time in VF5. The kick hits, but the punch doesn't connect. You're probably gonna have to settle for :4::6::P:, :2::P:, :2_::4::6::P:

It was annoying because I naturally do the :2::H+K:,:P: to link for many combos with Akira in VF. But He's plenty strong in DOA that I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure with some training mode time, we'll rack up the punishing Akira combos in no time.

RoboJoe

That sucks. I guess the float mechanics are too different for it to connect the :P:. Speaking of mechanics, I'm assuming his wall damage is nerfed and his side turned game is completely removed, right? It's a little disappointing, but compared to the doa characters, he's still a beast so I can't complain too much.

Goro Hazuki

His wall damage is fine in my opinion. The combo we were just talking about is nice for sending straight to the wall, you can carry on with more damage if you're close enough.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by his side turned game. Are you talking about his moves that force the opponent to turn to the side? Or his side step game?

RoboJoe

His wall damage is fine in my opinion. The combo we were just talking about is nice for sending straight to the wall, you can carry on with more damage if you're close enough.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by his side turned game. Are you talking about his moves that force the opponent to turn to the side? Or his side step game?

Honestly, I can't remember how doa5 handles wall combos so I'm going to retract my statement on his wall damage for now. As for the side turned stuff, I was talking about his options after he has forced the opponent to turn to the side. Doa doesn't have that kind of mechanic as far as I know, which kind of sucks because it was an interesting part of Akira's game.

Goro Hazuki

Ok, I see what you mean. Yeah it's not really the same in DOA. So you don't have the ability to force a side turn, but on stun, he can force a back turn from the opponent. So, we lose something, but gain something else.

ChrisArmoun

I've got bad news. The :4::6::P:,:2::H+K:,:P: does not connect anymore. This was one the first things I noticed because I use that all the time in VF5. The kick hits, but the punch doesn't connect. You're probably gonna have to settle for :4::6::P:, :2::P:, :2_::4::6::P:

It's interesting to see that that combo doesn't work any more. I'm an Akira player in VF5FS and it's a convenient tool, especially when just framing for the second :P:. Do you know if :4::6::P:, :H+K:, :P: still works? It's another option depending on character weight (which I don't believe DoA has anyhow). He can also use :4::6::P:,:6::6::K::K: and :4::6::P:, :3::H+K:,:P+K:.
I'll miss the guaranteed damage off the just frame but as you stated, it doesn't break him even remotely. Akira has a ton of options and I'm sure we'll find some unique to the DOA mechanics

Goro Hazuki

Yeah, :6::6::K::K: doesn't connect. And :3::H+K::P+K: isn't too good either. You're best off doing :2::P:,:3::4::6: :P:, and get a wall slam. Then try to follow up with a launch.

On the positive side, on a slippery surface (i.e. edge of the earth), :3::P+K: causes an un-holdable stun, and you can launch and chip away damage as you see fit. He's very strong in DOA, but the transition from VF physics takes a while to get used to.

ChrisArmoun

Are you referring to his standard :3::P+K: punch or the crouching :3::P+K: shoulder? Stun off the standard punch would be awesome on slippery. Hope the crouching shoulder still causes stun by default

Goro Hazuki

Are you referring to his standard :3::P+K: punch or the crouching :3::P+K: shoulder? Stun off the standard punch would be awesome on slippery. Hope the crouching shoulder still causes stun by default

The crouching punch :)
The shoulder you're talking about is the :3::3::P+K: or :2_::3::P+K: (in VF) right?

@Wizzy, In the first combo, what's :4::6::K:? or is the extra :4: an error and you intended :6::K:?
Either way, unfortunately, I don't think those would work in DOA. Some adjustments need to be done to get something similar.
i.e. the first one could be:
:214::P:, :6::K:,:P:,:3::F+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:
And the knee :6::K: only launches on stun (and counter I believe) this time around.

I know this seems limiting, but don't forget there are new ground bounce properties as well. So if you follow a launcher with :4::3::P:, the opponent ground bounces and you can carry on with the damage you see fit.

Goro Hazuki

I forgot to mention another good thing with Akira in DOA. His famous three hit combo can be linked in a combo. So for example, you can do :1::P:,:P+K:,:4::3::F+P:,:6::P:
Obviously, you can do more before the three hit combo. But just as an example, you can do the above.

I was wondering how you guys would prefer the combo section (post #2) to be organised. I was thinking along the lines as follows:

1- Combos from stand (regular situations)
2- Combos from counter
3- CB combos
4- Wall Combos
5- Sit-down guaranteed combos
6- Heavy opponent combos
7- Slippery surface combos
8- Combos after throw

What do you guys think?

WiZzYx

@Wizzy, In the first combo, what's :4::6::K:? or is the extra :4: an error and you intended :6::K:?
My bad. It's :6: :K: , the launcher knee (Youteitou). Edited.

Either way, unfortunately, I don't think those would work in DOA. Some adjustments need to be done to get something similar.
i.e. the first one could be:
:214::P:, :6::K:,:P:,:3::F+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:
And the knee :6::K: only launches on stun (and counter I believe) this time around.
:214: :P: (Koboku) doesn't stuns? Too bad...

Goro Hazuki

No it does stun. It's also a sit down stun which is unholdable. You can't do it twice in a row though :(

And I edited the combo layout post. Added combos after throw.
(i.e. :6::4::F+P:, :2::F+K::P::P:)

Goro Hazuki

Yeah, it does. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find more guaranteed damage after that throw. In VF, you could go to town on an opponent after landing it. But here, even doing :2::F+K::P:,:4::6::6::P+K: doesn't connect. It's more civil.
I know it's sounding negative with all these changes. But he is strong. We just need to let go of the VF physics and rethink him in a DOA context. To me, that's fun. I've already managed to find a few nice strings. Once the game is final and in our houses, I know that we'll all have some really nice combos to share here.

wali

how about his :3: :F+K: :P+K: it combo from counter hit or side attack
and for his :4: :6: :P: combo you can do :4: :6: :P: :P: :3: :F+K: :P: :4: :6::6: :P+K:
or you can use his :2: :F+K: :P: :P: combo as sub of dragon lance but you must be in closed stance if this applied in this game too
and for his SDE (:6::6::6::P:) did crumple like in vf or it launch ?
and his move from :6::6::P+K: hit threw how they react to it ? i hope they just forced to guard (no side step or sabaki)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD