Alpha-152 general discussion

stinkymonz

HIII since there doesn't seem to be some sort of Q&A thread or ~beginner's~ thread, I'm just gonna say that I'm new (to this iteration of the game, at least) and I want to pick up this character and I have questions, and I hope that it would go here.

Questions like:

What the hell is Float? Does the dive have magical invincibility? It seems like 85% of the time you should just cancel it, but is there like another dimension to this that I'm not getting? And she'll only float under what conditions?

Is there a sort of semi-universal followup to her regular holds? How reliable is the one listed in the combo challenges?

And since she doesn't seem to have an inescapable < i10 throw, what's her general gameplan in situations of mild advantage on block?

Thanks guys! And hey, if anyone has any advice for a player who mostly did DoA3/DoA2U and at most dabbled in DoA4 to transition into DoA5, I'd greatly appreciate it!

FlamingMuffin

HIII since there doesn't seem to be some sort of Q&A thread or ~beginner's~ thread, I'm just gonna say that I'm new (to this iteration of the game, at least) and I want to pick up this character and I have questions, and I hope that it would go here.

Questions like:

What the hell is Float? Does the dive have magical invincibility? It seems like 85% of the time you should just cancel it, but is there like another dimension to this that I'm not getting? And she'll only float under what conditions?

Is there a sort of semi-universal followup to her regular holds? How reliable is the one listed in the combo challenges?

And since she doesn't seem to have an inescapable < i10 throw, what's her general gameplan in situations of mild advantage on block?

Thanks guys! And hey, if anyone has any advice for a player who mostly did DoA3/DoA2U and at most dabbled in DoA4 to transition into DoA5, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Her float is okay at punishing whiffs when you correctly bait. Other than that, pretty useless. 5U has a launcher from FLT though, which shall be interesting.

She is usually at disadvantage after holding, so 7P is usually good to create space.

Not many people throw break, from my experience. Try 5T, and if they are throw breaking, 66T/3T to make them afraid of attacking. Once they start blocking more, opens up her to do other throws.

stinkymonz

ooo sounds tantalising! I'm all in for float transitions being useful.

And thanks for the clarifications, FlamingMuffin. (fuck yeah, Chris Pine!) Such an interesting character to play, defensive holds actually leave her at disadvantage! It's great to see them really committing to the glass cannon archetype like never before (as far as I recall.)

synce

No but you get her best GB yet. And her mixup in 5U is just nasty, the video on FSD doesn't even scratch the surface. I don't think people will be able to deal with it if they honestly thought 1.03 Alpha was good

But it bears repeating her defense is terrible and her damage output is lacking because she doesn't benefit from wakeup kicks or counters. She's also in her own weight class now so you can do bigger combos against Alpha

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Interesting news... She's a featherweight...

You're such a troll Synce. XD But thanks for the subliminal nod to my disturbance.

Codemaster92163

DOAD Alpha got by (not very well, though) without her parry punch. She'll manage again, especially since the punch is still a part of it and, if what you say is correct, a GB.

Her damage output isn't "lacking" by any means. I consider wake-up kicks and counters just another defensive option, since you use them while/after taking a beating and they amount for little damage by themselves - granted, the kicks can give way to an offensive combo. Her defense sucks, yeah, but having her absurdly powerful throws, super fast OH (unless they removed its OH property) and fairly powerful attacks keep her damage output perfectly fine.

I don't see the new weight class being an issue, either. It was that way in DOAD as well. And in any case, no one should really worry. She's still Alpha, she's still not understood by a lot of players, she will still rape your face if you guess a counter wrong, she's still abusrdly fast, she (now) has even better mix-up and still has juggle potential, and she's still amazingly cool.

Jaguar360

DOAD Alpha got by (not very well, though)
Her damage output isn't "lacking" by any means. I consider wake-up kicks and counters just another defensive option, since you use them while/after taking a beating and they amount for little damage by themselves - granted, the kicks can give way to an offensive combo. Her defense sucks, yeah, but having her absurdly powerful throws, super fast OH (unless they removed its OH property) and fairly powerful attacks keep her damage output perfectly fine..
66T is now an i7 regular throw. I gives her an unbreakable throw punisher in replacement of the fastest OH in the game.

synce

Code maybe my wording was bad, Alpha can do okay damage but she has less ways to get it than others. Some people take for granted that counters do more damage than any normal attack. Someone like Ryu or Bayman can take 80+ from a counter, Alpha gets 0 every time. Also AFAIK Alpha still gets nothing guaranteed in 5U and now can be killed by 2 juggles from even the weakest characters.

So while her mixup is improved there are definite nerfs, and that's not even taking into account other characters' buffs. That's why that ban thread is so fucking retarded. Speaking of which I caught a glimpse of Perfect Legend's stream today, where he picked Alpha against a random Bass and called her broken because she won, as if any fast character can't whoop his ass just as hard lol

If anyone thinks Alpha is broken, just challenge me in 5U, my PSN is Rikishi4Lyfe. You pick Alpha and I'll rotate between my 7 mains. All 7 times I will destroy you and that super easy to use, super nooby, super broken Alpha :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD