Ban Alpha-152 from tournaments?

• Yea

Votes: 40 35.4%
  • Nah

Votes: 73 64.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The HuBBs

So for some reason Alpha feels like Tengu from DOA2U all over again. She does insane damage for very little work. But she also takes awhile to unlock and most people aren't probably going to bother getting her. There was the mention of soft-banning her but I want to give everyone the chance to speak out.

Sora

We are banning her here in Vegas until a TO-friendly way of unlocking her is found. Even then, its a crapshoot. We can't say anything to her balance since not a lot of players have tried her yet.

So, technically and at least for now, yes.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I would prefer we leave the banning to be decided some time much later after it's been proven, not after the game has been released for one week.

As far as I have seen, she isn't ban worthy.

And as stated before, we are not banning her for the reason of "It's difficult to unlock her for tournaments".

No. Just, no.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I agree with Wah. It's too early to tell. I also don't support banning characters for the reason that they take too long to unlock. There are bound to be some Alpha mains out there who would then have to drop their character.

If she truly turns out to be overpowered later on down the road, then I could agree. For now though, no.

Her difficulty to unlock should be a reason to consider.It really sets people back having to find a console and profile that has her ready to go. Look at SBO, there was an issue with the profile not having gen-fu i believe it was. A much much easier to unlock character. It delayed the tournament 10 minutes because in a tournament setting it is never easy to move things around. For the TO's own sanity I wouldn't mind seeing her banned. However if TO's don't mind having someone spend the hundreds of hours it will take to unlock her on a handful of consoles then that is up to them. I have no issue playing against her as a character.

monster637

I agree with Wah. It's too early to tell. I also don't support banning characters for the reason that they take too long to unlock. There are bound to be some Alpha mains out there who would then have to drop their character.

If she truly turns out to be overpowered later on down the road, then I could agree. For now though, no.
even a Op char is hard to justify a ban,,,,,,broken is understandable, But say having DOA get its chance at say a evo on the big stage and it being a mirror match never helps a franchise

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Her difficulty to unlock should be a reason to consider.It really sets people back having to find a console and profile that has her ready to go. Look at SBO, there was an issue with the profile not having gen-fu i believe it was. A much much easier to unlock character. It delayed the tournament 10 minutes because in a tournament setting it is never easy to move things around. For the TO's own sanity I wouldn't mind seeing her banned. However if TO's don't mind having someone spend the hundreds of hours it will take to unlock her on a handful of consoles then that is up to them. I have no issue playing against her as a character.

As I stated in the official rules discussion thread, the ability to have a save or not is up to the TO to properly announce if she will be playable or not.

By saying you're "banning" a character, you're saying that the character is not allowed EVEN IF THE CHARACTER IS SELECTABLE.

Are you going to ban Pai too because she takes 100 titles to unlock? "Oh, but it's only 2 hours to go through story mode completing the bonus missions." Yes, that is true, but that doesn't change the criteria you are labeling for the REASON you want to ban Alpha-152.

A character should be banned if their move list literally breaks the game and cannot be avoided. Not because it takes a while to unlock them.

Again, players who main her will need to ask the TOs for the tournaments they are looking to attend to know if Alpha-152 would be playable. It is up to the TO's discretion on if they want to unlock her or not, as well as what other unlockable characters will be unlocked.

monster637

for xbox cant you just synce your cloud storage and then logg on to each cnsole get the save and then play off line on the same account fully updated on several consoles or usb stick styles or does it still only let you save a profile on one thing like it used to.. meaning you cant copy your profile from the HDD to multiple USb sticks?

Sora

Its another thing altogether though if unlocking her literally takes a week. Lol.

Exaggeration, but you get the point.

I agree with the philosophy, but we cant realistically expect that from TOs. Its hard enough to convince them to run doa tournaments considering doa stigma, let alone go through an unlock process that is arguably the longest for a fighting game to date.

Alpha isn't TO friendly, i dont think anyone can deny that.

monster637

Its another thing altogether though if unlocking her literally takes a week. Lol.

Exaggeration, but you get the point.

I agree with the philosophy, but we cant realistically expect that from TOs. Its hard enough to convince them to run doa tournaments considering doa stigma, let alone go through an unlock process that is arguably the longest for a fighting game to date.

Alpha isn't TO friendly, i dont think anyone can deny that.
YES the whole set up of team Ninja not just having them all unlocked is a big wtf moment for trying to help there game get steam in the competitive scene by making the game fucked to run a tourney for... Its a big WTF, unlockable costumes understandable, but not chars in this day and age

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
God help the MVC2 community if they decided to ban half of the cast due to its unlocking method on the Dreamcast <_<.

Something-Unique

Hubbs its simple math. Really the ban of Alpha has nothing to do with character tools and has all to do with her unlock requirement. It takes a serious time investment to unlock that character. Way outside of the normal requirements you would find in any other game.

Such a ban has to be focused on the actual tournament environment. Meaning the people who would actually show up to an event and support the scene. Nothing more, nothing less. For example I will be at NEC and will be participating in DOA. You should consider asking the people who you know would show up. If there is no quick share method of unlocking her she needs to be banned period as it supports the actual people who will actual support the turnouts of your event. Very silly unlock requirement.

unseen wombat

It's so stupid in this day and age that every fighting game made doesn't have a tournament mode with all characters and stages unlocked from day 1. Even if it's just one that requires you to enter a "secret" code to unlock so casuals won't complain that the story mode is spoiled for them.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD