DOA5U Bass General Discussion: Champion Edition

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
So if you knock someone into a ring rope and they bounce back they can hold or stagger. This isn't the case with his 6H+P. It is not staggerable since it's a throw stun. However, it is still holdable.

So, you can do 6H+P and start do :6::6::2_: if they hold you can either :3::K: punish or throw on reaction, probably back into 6H+P. If you time your dash correctly you can also walk behind the opponent if they don't hold and get a small back-turned attack. Sometimes you can do :2_::3::6::P: which gives you grizzly typically right back into the rope wall.

For those who want to practice this setup easily without having to rely on putting your opponent in the position for a :6::h::+::P:, pick the small wrestling ring stage and do :6::6::P::+::K:. That'll place you close to the opponent for you to freestep around them and test your setups before you move onto :6::h::+::P:.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
I actually have been finding that if I do the :6::6::P::+::K: into opponents that it hasn't been hitting square on, that somehow I end up right behind them on block. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm not sure if this piece of info is anywhere here for Bass, but I found an easy way to do TFBB. 66 41236T, as in forward dash, and do his half-circle catch grab. You can do the whole thing in one shot for TFBB, or you can pause in between (a decent-length pause will still allow the grab). Tina can also do this with 66 214T, but a small (very short) pause is necessary. Bass can do it all at once, no pause necessary. You can confirm this because normally he will do his catch grab with 41236T, but if you dash forward first, he will do his running powerbomb throw instead.

I tried this in casuals vs my brother's counters, and he was confused lol. Makes me almost wanna main him.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm not sure if this piece of info is anywhere here for Bass, but I found an easy way to do TFBB. 66 41236T, as in forward dash, and do his half-circle catch grab. You can do the whole thing in one shot for TFBB, or you can pause in between (a decent-length pause will still allow the grab). Tina can also do this with 66 214T, but a small (very short) pause is necessary. Bass can do it all at once, no pause necessary. You can confirm this because normally he will do his catch grab with 41236T, but if you dash forward first, he will do his running powerbomb throw instead.

I tried this in casuals vs my brother's counters, and he was confused lol. Makes me almost wanna main him.

That method's been used since vanilla 5 came out. Check out the throw section of the OP for more shortcuts.

MasterHavik

It seems Bass's ground grab is still guaranteed. I just did 6H+K and then pick them up and they couldn't do anything about it. Welp....

MrMoon360

Urgent News!
Old News Incoming!

-_-

@miyodarius
@Viper Excess

Fellas, fellas. Keep up with the Strongarms around here. You're breaking my heart with this old stuff. It just disappoints and we all want new tech.
Its already depressing enough how low his tier is. (Just-above-'Bottom-Tier-Eliot'-tier)

Not raggin' on ya. Stay classy, my dudes.
1135236_t_zpsefb3e302.gif

Damn, caught me red-handed. I barely played DOA5 and just started on ultimate. Bass is NOT my character. I just saw what I saw when I picked random casually and posted. I should have tried harder to see where it could have been posted already.

It must have been cool when the TFBB shortcuts were first discovered. As long as they are being used, it's all good. It's not like many ppl check many char boards anyway. All I can contribute rite now is that Tina does not have any of those shortcuts. She has the dash-214T shortcut, but she has to wait a bit for her JOC. Daddy beats his daughter in something after all. The fact that Bass has no wait time with any of his shortcuts makes his throw feel like addicting to use.

More ppl should be playing him for this throw alone, because he can TFBB holds on reaction. Is it just his lack of speed and fancy juggles that cause ppl to move the cursor past him?

peachyO

okay....well bass is just someone i like and mess around with everytime and he is also my surprise character.
it's all good man. i'd rather someone report a 'discovery' that turns out is already known rather than keep it to themselves and not share at all. plus it's nice to have activity on mr. strong's forums. :)

6P+K is the only reliable way to get a pick-up. 6KP can as well but it's not perfectly reliable. sad how his best tool got nerfed so badly :( oh well, he can still hang. at least he's gt a better stun game now...

Tenryuga

Dunno if this is the thread to ask but what are Bass options than an opponent should be weary of? I never run into this character at all so I have no experience in this matchup.

peachyO

Damn, caught me red-handed. I barely played DOA5 and just started on ultimate. Bass is NOT my character. I just saw what I saw when I picked random casually and posted. I should have tried harder to see where it could have been posted already.

It must have been cool when the TFBB shortcuts were first discovered. As long as they are being used, it's all good. It's not like many ppl check many char boards anyway. All I can contribute rite now is that Tina does not have any of those shortcuts. She has the dash-214T shortcut, but she has to wait a bit for her JOC. Daddy beats his daughter in something after all. The fact that Bass has no wait time with any of his shortcuts makes his throw feel like addicting to use.

More ppl should be playing him for this throw alone, because he can TFBB holds on reaction. Is it just his lack of speed and fancy juggles that cause ppl to move the cursor past him?
please read my post above...it applies to you too :)

yes, that is exactly why people don't pick him. most players are both impatient and want the easiest character to win with. those characters are usually very fast and have long combos that may or not take much skill to perform. just mindless offense. grapplers like bass take skill. reading opponents, spacing, frame advantage use, and counter attacking are all major parts of his game. and when it comes to offense, well, he can dish out in 1 move the damage it takes other characters 10 hits to achieve. he takes time, but hopefully you'll spend it with him.

and yes, NOTHING is as addicting/satisfying as nailing the T.F.B.B. on high counter!! win with one, and ragequits/lobby kickouts are sure to follow. especially if the T.F.B.B. fires a victim over a cliff and wipes 2/3 of their lifebar in one fell swoop!

Tenryuga

Dunno if this is the thread to ask but what are Bass options than an opponent should be weary of? I never run into this character at all so I have no experience in this matchup.

To be more specific what are the main options after his pick up or when he has frame advantage? Also are any of you on PSN? I'd like some Bass players practice with.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I play on PSN but haven't in the past week. Busy with life things.

Bass is in a better tier than he was before. I feel a lot of his 4-6 matchups are now 5-5 or even 6-4. Just his 3-7 matchups weren't made any better, and Sarah I honestly feel is a 1-9 at worst and 2-8 at best.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
what makes bass have better mus wah? I feel his lack of a solid OH really hurts him.

This iteration of Bass fits my play-style perfectly. I don't use OH much because they don't net much damage even on HiC,and most of the people who I play SE out of stuns and can throw you for HiC damage to counter it. I blend, follow up with 6p(to kill steppers and mashers) , 214+p (to kill special steppers) or throw to beat block and hold. I rarely go for CB, just stun and launch so I can blend and keep constant pressure.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
This iteration of Bass fits my play-style perfectly. I don't use OH much because they don't net much damage even on HiC,and most of the people who I play SE out of stuns and can throw you for HiC damage to counter it. I blend, follow up with 6p(to kill steppers and mashers) , 214+p (to kill special steppers) or throw to beat block and hold. I rarely go for CB, just stun and launch so I can blend and keep constant pressure.

That is pretty how you should be playing an offensive Bass. Making it too complicated just ends up backfiring most times. I presonally make use of other GBs because then the opponent will have to guess mid punch and mid kick along with highs. Bass now has two great GBs with :h::+::K: and :426::P::+::K:. :h::+::K: crushes lows and :426::P::+::K: crushes highs which is great against 8i jab mashers after a GB. :4::h::+::K: is also worth investing in because it can fit into his game now because of a better charge and grants a pick-up.

Bass' blender is actually pretty good and you can keep going for it again and sometimes some people will keep pressing buttons after teching and keep getting reset until they're dead.

Since the :9::P::K::P: is out of the open juggle game, it's worth replacing it with :3::P: :6::K::P: as it only does one less damage but still gives you an option-select.

Last edited:

peachyO

please explain what the bass blender is. i'm not familiar with that term, but i have heard a number of characters described as having one. thank you.

Rich Nixon

Standard Donor
please explain what the bass blender is. i'm not familiar with that term, but i have heard a number of characters described as having one. thank you.
For the blender I end a juggle in 3p, 6kp (for lights and mids or just 6kp for heavies) and immediately press 2T. If they tech, you will get a low throw animation (insread of the ground throw)and be at about +7. So his 33p will beat all retaliations 10 frames or greater and you get to do another juggle ending in 6kp and repeat. If you think they are going to sidestep after teching the 6kp juggle, you can use a tracking move of your choice or use TFBB. The beauty is that since you are in the crouching animation after whiffing the low throw is that the input for the TFBB is already buffered so it comes out smooth as butter baby. Oh yeah! Bassamania running wild!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD