Community Big Stream from MASTER Today 9 p.m EST

Master is streaming tomorrow night. Though some of the contents of this stream are not known, it's going to be big. Master has high hopes that the DOA community will get involved with his stream, and will post their feedback on how they feel about whatever he discusses with the community as he plays.

In return, it's likely you will learn a lot. During his last stream, he went back to Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate and showed us what's now missing from those games as they have aged, but he also showed us things that our new installment doesn't have. A history lesson to show us where we are and where we belong as a community.

http://www.twitch.tv/omastero/profile

Follow Master for updates on when he will stream next. It's valuable to know if you are a PS3... OR Xbox 360 player. If you get the buzz on one of his streams, it's likely you will have a chance at fighting him to learn valuable tech through a painful beating... something often reserved for paid subscribers from other fighters.

Last edited:
well I hope your more anxious to hear what I have. its a video. Where I talk in.. *Dicking with ya lol*

And we don't have generals leading a march. We are simply in need of people putting a video up of saying blah blah blah, what I think is important and btw, check out Masters video!

I've checked your first one out and enjoyed. Alot of what you said resonated!

I've checked your first one out and enjoyed. Alot of what you said resonated!

O well, thanks a lot. Maybe I should go back and re-iterate any points that had some merit to them. That was unscripted, so im sure it was messy as hell, but maybe something I can go back too. Maybe you can say somethings you really agreed with and possibly strongly disagreed with, to help give me more understanding of the communities feelings.

O well, thanks a lot. Maybe I should go back and re-iterate any points that had some merit to them. That was unscripted, so im sure it was messy as hell, but maybe something I can go back too. Maybe you can say somethings you really agreed with and possibly strongly disagreed with, to help give me more understanding of the communities feelings.

I have many a dissertations on here! They won't be hard to find! Seriously, I can really only speak for myself as can most if not all of us can speak for ourselves. I can say this though, all of us want the same thing. The last iteration of 5 to do well.

That may be the problem! 5 regardless of iteration was enjoyed by alot of people. Plus, we don't know if 6 will be the last game! Again, this isn't a AAA RPG like Mass Effect; however, if you played - I don't know how you did not invest/immerse yourself in it!

Story, Gameplay, Content, Visuals, Audio - everything! Even when players shot down ME2 (when EA acquired BW) and blew the fuck up over the ending in ME3 - the countless hours spent on both sides either developing or playing were fucking worth it! The character the franchise was built around, They spent so much time and repeatedly told us that we would invest everything and they weren't wrong! Now, they say, this part with this character (though they just wanted to do three games only) is over! The universe will remain, but that one character seemed - shit, he or she was much bigger than that universe- even with everything and everyone he or she was surrounded by! That's saying something!

DOA is a fighting game, so I'm not expecting anything to be Mass Effect tier, but since Kasumi is the face and has been - just as Shepard was in Mass Effect ... When it's over make it worth the end!

If MK can last forever, so can DoA. Let's face it, just as DoA was made by the boobs, MK was made by the gore. If MK can reboot, if MK can keep going, so can DoA. That said, what's most likely to hurt DoA is customer service. However, if anything looks promising, it's the fact that microsoft is still successful in spite of their customer service.

However, at the end of the day, DoA has alot more support than Streets of Rage. Streets of Rage has fan iterations, so if worst comes to worst, if they kill DoA with bad decisions and bail on it quickly, that makes room for a community sponsored fan game. And when copyrights become an issue, we just make it different enough.

If MK can last forever, so can DoA. Let's face it, just as DoA was made by the boobs, MK was made by the gore. If MK can reboot, if MK can keep going, so can DoA. That said, what's most likely to hurt DoA is customer service. However, if anything looks promising, it's the fact that microsoft is still successful in spite of their customer service.

However, at the end of the day, DoA has alot more support than Streets of Rage. Streets of Rage has fan iterations, so if worst comes to worst, if they kill DoA with bad decisions and bail on it quickly, that makes room for a community sponsored fan game. And when copyrights become an issue, we just make it different enough.

Here's the funny thing about MK - Midway (back then) looked at games like Street Fighter. Even more ironic, watching a snippet regarding DOA's history, it was said that the "juggle bullshit" was done to give the opponent a chance where in MK you hit the ground then die! (Of course, this was referencing the fatalities! ie: Uppercut into spiked floor or ceiling)

Fast forward to MK9, there's a Kode to disable blood; it'll probably be in X as well. The closest thing DOA gets is dirt/water effects! But given how the particle effect was hyped ... I'm can guess that more stuff was done with the blood in X, but the other stuff they did as well. And after 4 years, if they hadn't done a thing ... at least we won't get MK 9.1

i hear that most 2d fighters look to Ryu from street fighter as a basis.

I really do think that other fighting games could learn alot from DoA's hold system. The idea that you can grab and mess up your opponent by doing what you think they're going to do is so profound, and is the feature that adds the most realism to DoA. In other games, only a few characters can counter. In real fighting, counters are what separates martial arts from enhanced arm wrestling involving the removal of your teeth.

I really do think that other fighting games could learn alot from DoA's hold system. The idea that you can grab and mess up your opponent by doing what you think they're going to do is so profound, and is the feature that adds the most realism to DoA. In other games, only a few characters can counter. In real fighting, counters are what separates martial arts from enhanced arm wrestling involving the removal of your teeth.

http://www.doaworld.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4052-i-think-doa-players-need-to-see-this/

Apparently some disagree, and counters while stunned is the sole reason in which DoA scrapes the bottom of competitive scene.

I wont get into the debate of whether this is good or not for I believe you can post your opinion there, and/or make a new thread regarding said topic.

Though I do think some points are being skewed by comparing DoA to other fighters. Its why DoA has a different name than Tekken and/or Virtual Fighter and such. Its because its a different game.

Also if you truly believe MK only sells because its gore factor, and DoA only sold for its bust factor, then I believe this is proof; if such a theory is true, then we clearly have huge issues within the communities themselves and whilst developers and companies a like should not be able to sell a single piece of pizza at the price of a full one.

However if the possibility is there, then we can only play the "you do this and this and to much bikinis" that argument against the company for so long before realizing the people who are buying are only the sole reason for the issue/problem.

People do this with Gears of War, by wanting basically Gnasher Shotgun only gameplay; I know I keep going back to it (I.E Gears), but it is because it is a community that has actually torn Gears of War itself into the broken mess we see today.

DoA is selling for many reasons, the possibilities are endless. We can only hope TN can continually strengthen the support for all the reasons as oppose to singling out the highest grossing revenue (Constantly, you are a business make money, but other people will also buy other stuff you offer TN <3).

I hope you know were I am coming from. Attacking or talking about DoA and/or MK or any other fighter for its selling point(s) does in no way help DoA. These games have there selling points, and thats what makes those games what they are. Lets keep DoA, and just make it more DoA! Let your voice to heard and express simply what you want. We don't need other games to make DoA good, its already good, so why wouldn't DoA itself be able to be great? (Don't get too technical on the words, I think its amazing but that's just me)

You can counter in all fighters! This is what irks me about DOA, The hold system is nice, but what if you come across somebody who knows how to manipulate it? Are your countering options gone? Hell no! This is a + in my book when it comes to MK! Yes, the Combo-Breaker serves as the physical counter, but if you watch tourneys, other methods are also at play.

However, if such a triangle system is imposed (doesn't VF have something similar), idk how well that'll work. Not saying it will or won't, but the manipulating would be seemingly as easy as it is here in DOA. IOW, it'll become what DOA is now - a guessing game. MK9, you had to not guess, but anticipate! Don't get me wrong, you can guess there, too; however, the more skilled you became, the less guessing you did! It's bad that you have to play somebody alot to figure out a habit - and sometimes the habit is clear has day!

But if you think holding would be nice:

When I first began with Alpha, I held out the ass, but I was almost never punished - aka thrown! I'm only thrown now due to blocking because I'm not letting my opponents manipulate that part of the Triangle. However, I manipulate it like a motherfucker! Plus, given the 50% more damage when executed within the first one or two frames, it would greatly reduced the combo-chaining we see in MK. Not to mention how throwing resets the situation although you can reset out the ass with certain characters in MK - 9 specifically) (Cyrax comes to mind immediately! Quan Chi is another example of multiple resetting) But idk.

Last edited:
You can counter in all fighters! This is what irks me about DOA, The hold system is nice, but what if you come across somebody who knows how to manipulate it? Are your countering options gone? Hell no! This is a + in my book when it comes to MK! Yes, the Combo-Breaker serves as the physical counter, but if you watch tourneys, other methods are also at play.

However, if such a triangle system is imposed (doesn't VF have something similar), idk how well that'll work. Not saying it will or won't, but the manipulating would be seemingly as easy as it is here in DOA. IOW, it'll become what DOA is now - a guessing game. MK9, you had to not guess, but anticipate! Don't get me wrong, you can guess there, too; however, the more skilled you became, the less guessing you did! It's bad that you have to play somebody alot to figure out a habit - and sometimes the habit is clear has day!

MK is another guessing game. Street Fighter is another guessing game... O wait, their not. O wait yes they are!.... Let me explain why..

Street Fighter I would always guess I can beat that Ryus, Metsu Shoryuken... if I get him sooner.. Before.. No nothings working.. WHY!! So after several videos online on SF4 (Does not offer an in depth tutorial) I will ALWAYS lose to this attack for I've learned after several videos, that Ryu has what we call advantage and invulnerability frames. However if I use the information I just learned; than I can research other characters moves and see if any one can legitimately ALWAYS beat it.

What do you know, using this information, I have learned that Ken Ex-Shoryuken will go through it and always beat out that Metsu Shoryuken. Even though its a Ultra Art Super Move. Though online, someone Vs me with my Ken and his Ryu. I can not in any way be sure he knows this information. In fact in no way can I be sure the guy sitting next to me at a tournament does.

I must wonder if he does the entire match. Hes also picked that Utra Art when the match started. If he does it, I can get him. If I always save an Ex bar, I can always safely use this tool in case of that emergency. However I no way have any idea if he knows this information. If its changed his gaming style or if he is completely obvious to my advantage. What does he know that I don't possibly. I've seen pro players in DoA miss some key punishments, because they just don't know what they can do. Or they panic, making it not a guessing game at fault of the game. But by the player who probably unknowingly makes horrid mistakes he should other wise know not to make.

How you use this "Abusable" mechanic is up to you. Slow down, play a character that can punish the players more. Tina, Hayabusa who makes Stagger Escaping difficult. Every thing is based off you as well. Guesses are not just a games fault. Their human nature. I in now way disagree that maybe some tweaks should be made but im just looking at it from what i would think. Every game has its guessing moments in a fighter. Its all about head games. You should never be the one guessing though. Shouldn't you realize he is hold spamming? Shouldn't you know to punish or are you unsure about what you can do? You may not be guessing, but you sure are not playing the game at 100% if you don't know important things about it.

Of course, they're guessing games, but there is a clear difference between guessing vs. anticipating - just like there is a difference between executing combos (regardless how big or small) vs. mashing buttons. Both require slowing down.

I've played against players back then you were absolutely frantic! I didn't throw them. What I did do was tell them to slow down; yet, I did not tell them that I would slow down. This would mean me playing slower than them to beat them. (Btw, I'm already playing slow to begin with. Of course, this contradicts my character, doesn't it?)

But yes, this game is not above guessing; however, if you anticipate, it leads to a better guess! Anticipation is seeing ahead of your opponent - meaning having your eyes open! If you're guessing, you may as well have them closed!

I totally get what you're saying though!

http://www.doaworld.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4052-i-think-doa-players-need-to-see-this/
Apparently some disagree, and counters while stunned is the sole reason in which DoA scrapes the bottom of competitive scene.
I wont get into the debate of whether this is good or not for I believe you can post your opinion there, and/or make a new thread regarding said topic.
Though I do think some points are being skewed by comparing DoA to other fighters. Its why DoA has a different name than Tekken and/or Virtual Fighter and such. Its because its a different game.

Naturally. These qualities affect so much.

Also if you truly believe MK only sells because its gore factor, and DoA only sold for its bust factor, then I believe this is proof; if such a theory is true, then we clearly have huge issues within the communities themselves and whilst developers and companies a like should not be able to sell a single piece of pizza at the price of a full one.

I don't subscribe to that theory, but i do understand that, especially when alot of these fighters look the same to someone from the outside, these pull factors get people started and interested in finding more info.

However if the possibility is there, then we can only play the "you do this and this and to much bikinis" that argument against the company for so long before realizing the people who are buying are only the sole reason for the issue/problem.

That point i won't deny, but for other reasons. Gamers have conditioned companies to understand that we'll buy anything. In the software industry, people say that optimizing software to prevent slowdowns is pointless, because the customer is always willing to upgrade hardware, which is sadly true. I try to hold myself to a higher standard than that, but i'm not programming professionally.

People do this with Gears of War, by wanting basically Gnasher Shotgun only gameplay; I know I keep going back to it (I.E Gears), but it is because it is a community that has actually torn Gears of War itself into the broken mess we see today.

Shooters in general, really. Halo got popular, so now call of duty took the shield regeneration to the next level, and now we don't understand what a healthbar is anymore unless you play a fighter or RPG.

DoA is selling for many reasons, the possibilities are endless. We can only hope TN can continually strengthen the support for all the reasons as oppose to singling out the highest grossing revenue (Constantly, you are a business make money, but other people will also buy other stuff you offer TN <3)

Companies need to see beyond the immediate numbers. As i've said before, the base support of the game drags the rest in. If you alienate your base to try to appeal to another crowd, you end up with nothing (Ace Combat, i'm looking at you).
I hope you know were I am coming from. Attacking or talking about DoA and/or MK or any other fighter for its selling point(s) does in no way help DoA. These games have there selling points, and thats what makes those games what they are. Lets keep DoA, and just make it more DoA! Let your voice to heard and express simply what you want. We don't need other games to make DoA good, its already good, so why wouldn't DoA itself be able to be great? (Don't get too technical on the words, I think its amazing but that's just me)

Well, if your competition is winning, find out why, otherwise you fall due to inaction. However, that's not what i'm getting at. I don't want blood in DoA, for example. Rather, i think that, from a fighter point of view, DoA is made more realistic by it's holding system. In real life, if someone wiffs, you can smack their arm which makes them slow down a little and not punch as hard. It's not what you will be doing 90% of the time, but if you have a scrub that's making such nasty mistakes, it's an option. I don't see it having any potential of working in anything other than tekken (where you hold a button and one of your attack buttons corresponds to which arm or leg you're countering) or virtua fighter (for obvious reasons), however it's a feature that has power in it's own right.

But if you think holding would be nice:
When I first began with Alpha, I held out the ass, but I was almost never punished - aka thrown! I'm only thrown now due to blocking because I'm not letting my opponents manipulate that part of the Triangle. However, I manipulate it like a motherfucker! Plus, given the 50% more damage when executed within the first one or two frames, it would greatly reduced the combo-chaining we see in MK. Not to mention how throwing resets the situation although you can reset out the ass with certain characters in MK - 9 specifically) (Cyrax comes to mind immediately! Quan Chi is another example of multiple resetting) But idk.

A player's inability to figure out a balanced system doesn't make it imbalanced. It merely makes the devs facepalm, while Master comes in and tells you he knew all along because it was blatently obvious (i'm not mocking Master in any way, btw, rather using his point to reinforce mine). However, in a game like MK or street fighter, it wouldn't work without redesigning all the moves from scratch (no mids, so instead of a 33% or 25% guess, it's now 50% guess). I would love to see it in something like Tekken, though. Holding in tekken would be so beastly, especially because it'd be alot harder to guess (12.5%), making it much more epic when you do hold.

How you use this "Abusable" mechanic is up to you. Slow down, play a character that can punish the players more. Tina, Hayabusa who makes Stagger Escaping difficult. Every thing is based off you as well. Guesses are not just a games fault. Their human nature. I in now way disagree that maybe some tweaks should be made but im just looking at it from what i would think. Every game has its guessing moments in a fighter. Its all about head games. You should never be the one guessing though. Shouldn't you realize he is hold spamming? Shouldn't you know to punish or are you unsure about what you can do? You may not be guessing, but you sure are not playing the game at 100% if you don't know important things about it.

That's an opportunity. If you assume i'm going to spam a move, then you'll try to counter it. Oh, wait, i didn't. Now you have to figure out which of the two i'm gonna do. Am i going to take the safer option that is harder for you to counter, or am i gonna get greedy and choose the option that makes no sense outside of messing up your face?

A player's inability to figure out a balanced system doesn't make it imbalanced. It merely makes the devs facepalm, while Master comes in and tells you he knew all along because it was blatently obvious (i'm not mocking Master in any way, btw, rather using his point to reinforce mine). However, in a game like MK or street fighter, it wouldn't work without redesigning all the moves from scratch (no mids, so instead of a 33% or 25% guess, it's now 50% guess). I would love to see it in something like Tekken, though. Holding in tekken would be so beastly, especially because it'd be alot harder to guess (12.5%), making it much more epic when you do hold.

That's an opportunity. If you assume i'm going to spam a move, then you'll try to counter it. Oh, wait, i didn't. Now you have to figure out which of the two i'm gonna do. Am i going to take the safer option that is harder for you to counter, or am i gonna get greedy and choose the option that makes no sense outside of messing up your face?

Alpha would like to have a few words with you! I jest! XD

Come to think about it: MK9 (at least) is similar to DOA (the latter games) in that it has four hit locations: Low Mid, High and Overhead. Regarding Alpha and her multiple kicks, how are 4k6k, 4 or 6k, mids despite hitting your face when blocked. If using MK hitbox, 4k and 6k should be overheads! Her BT 8k should also be an overhead.

I'm okay with a 25% chance, but add in the ability to throw, this % gets worse! What then occurs? Hold spamming! For instance, I could come with 2H+K, and off blind guessing, multiple holds happen and I'm like: "You're not worth throw punishing!" since I have multiple throws at my disposal. Sometimes, it's so bad, I can go 2H+K, 8T like that's as far as her moveset goes! This isn't good whatsoever!

But I totally get you since this is my way of thinking, too! I still say, if you slow down, you won't have to guess; it will allow you to anticipate! Like I said before, I want you as my opponent to see the possible options we each have. I know as humans, we won't be able to anticipate all situations because there are too many variable; yet, if seeing just a few can increase your chance of winning!

Alpha would like to have a few words with you! I jest! XD

Come to think about it: MK9 (at least) is similar to DOA (the latter games) in that it has four hit locations: Low Mid, High and Overhead. Regarding Alpha and her multiple kicks, how are 4k6k, 4 or 6k, mids despite hitting your face when blocked. If using MK hitbox, 4k and 6k should be overheads! Her BT 8k should also be an overhead.

I'm okay with a 25% chance, but add in the ability to throw, this % gets worse! What then occurs? Hold spamming! For instance, I could come with 2H+K, and off blind guessing, multiple holds happen and I'm like: "You're not worth throw punishing!" since I have multiple throws at my disposal. Sometimes, it's so bad, I can go 2H+K, 8T like that's as far as her moveset goes! This isn't good whatsoever!

But I totally get you since this is my way of thinking, too! I still say, if you slow down, you won't have to guess; it will allow you to anticipate! Like I said before, I want you as my opponent to see the possible options we each have. I know as humans, we won't be able to anticipate all situations because there are too many variable; yet, if seeing just a few can increase your chance of winning!

I'm still not as good as i'd like to be. Working on it, though. It sounds to me like you're just disappointed that you never get a chance to fight, because everyone's braindead. Like the afterthought vids we keep seeing.

I'm still not as good as i'd like to be. Working on it, though. It sounds to me like you're just disappointed that you never get a chance to fight, because everyone's braindead. Like the afterthought vids we keep seeing.

Oddly, enough, I'm told to reciprocrate to have even a remote chance!

You know, that would be hilarious. Especially if they go into throw mode and you just end up canceling every throw and they'd be like "dude, what's going on here? You hacker!"

Use unholdables. If the person is dumb enough to counter spam, he probably doesn't know there are unholdables.

I'll have to ask or see if she has some! I will try that! Thnx! Note, given the players I've taught, I'm just trying to see if they are aware and respect what I can do. IOW, my opponents (if we know each other well enough) don't hold spam for the sake of doing so. I can tell the difference between ineptitude and respect when it comes to holding if that makes sense!

If they hold 3 times in a row, that could still be respect. If all they do is hold, hold, hold, hold or throw, throw, throw, throw, or strike strike stirke strike strike, then it's obvious they're just inept. The others are just flipping out.

Pfft Respect. Play to win. if they shake your hand after, neat. Other than that. Fuck em. (literally *wink* XD jk,) no but I mean at a tournament respect for sure, online who cares. play the match. move on.

If hold spamming is bad, then strike spamming is bad. if hold spamming is bad, then throw spamming is bad. A combination of the three deals more damage unless you keep getting Izuna advanced held into the ceiling. then you are a dumb shit. STOP USING PUNCHES so much!

Make Ryu lose such damage by avoiding certain things in certain environments. If he is just normal countering, then you can punch all you want in a sense because there is less punishment damage to you. The arena is hugely important let alone the fight. Take advantage of everything and try your best to stop them from getting high damage reward.

When you fight Ryu, you don't have the ability to Whiff or he will surely get a free punishing hit and possibly more. and if you hold right after first hit, he is probably gunna be waiting for that and immediately go for that Izuna. The character and what they have is hugely important to the fight. I disagree with Master. the stage is important and the character and tool is important. its not 25% hold in game. that is what made DoA unique. In game its about the entirety of the fight and the knowledge the player has.

Also uhmm your "strike strike stirke strike strike". One combo for Kokoro is longer than that... -_- So I shouldn't use my combo because you think im inept while im juggling you after you faield to hold my unholdable because you have no idea what your doing?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD