Character Customization

UNDERX

If they add an amazing Character creation mode - Mixed with these over the top environments! People can make Wonder Woman (Tina) And Spiderman (Lisa lol) and battle it out and would be so sweet!

I mean these stages really capture that visual feel of comic book animation shows like Justice league and Batman..

I swear if DOA5 had a sweet CC mode it would be a huge selling point!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I dont mind having pre-established characters be customizable ala VF5, but character creation ala soul calibur gets old fast.

Let's face it, most peoples custom made characters look completely horrible. It gets old.

UNDERX

I dont mind having pre-established characters be customizable ala VF5, but character creation ala soul calibur gets old fast.

Let's face it, most peoples custom made characters look completely horrible. It gets old.

Gets old or not you guys are thinking small, I am a fan of it and would like to see it, but besides "MY" opinion - It would be a huge selling point to the casual market, and More sells means future tittles!!! And I luv DOA, so... YES, Just YES!!!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yea, for the casual market it probably would be a big selling point... I won't deny that.

But when you've played like 20,000 matches online and you keep seeing people make the same absolutely horrible characters with little to no creativity, it gets annoying... I only did a bit more then 2,000 matches on soul calibur 4 before i went insane from it.

To be fair though, soul calibur did some incredibly bad things with it. Tons of the costume pieces clipped through each other in a glitchy manner, the clothing destruction made certain choices absolutely ridiculous looking (you could go from full plate armor to underpants in 3 hits), and hitbox detection was a nightmare as every single custom character was different. Certain animations were also completely off because characters did not scale correctly to their original (astaroth/rock custom chars were a good example of this).

It created a lot of problems that made the game look bad from both a graphical point of view, and a competitive point of view.

Until someone really spends the time to fix all of these problems and hammer down a quality create-a-character-mode, I'd rather they just left it out completely. It's too much a part of soul calibur now to just get rid of it, but it is also painfully amateur.

If Team Ninja can up the production value of such a feature, then sure. I don't believe they have the time to do that in the less-then-a-year of development time they probably have on the game though.

UNDERX

Dude I feel you, Those ronald mcdonald shit i get what ure saying, But don't punish everyone for for their bad taste! Still, Team NINJA could be smarter and release it in a more controlling manner!

And Team NINJA has mad style, so their CC mode would be amazing! Mixed with girls lingerie...

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I would be perfectly happy with a color edit mode over character customization and costume customization. The color edit of course would help relieve the wasted costume slot of some of the alternate color options (Lei Fang).

Allan Paris

I would be perfectly happy with a color edit mode over character customization and costume customization. The color edit of course would help relieve the wasted costume slot of some of the alternate color options (Lei Fang).

I can dig this or, they could just assign buttons to switch up the colors of certain costumes. So characters like Lei Fang won't have the same shit over and over again. They could actually design different costumes for her and others or, they could just revamp the old costumes.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That was in DOA3. The problem with that idea was when two players wanted to use the same costume it wouldn't let each select it. So you couldn't have a "Black dress" version face against the "White dress" for example.

Allan Paris

Oh, I wasn't of aware that issue. I guess color editing wouldn't be all that bad. Maybe for certain costumes and not all.

Raansu

I don't feel like spending the first half of a round trying to figure out what character I'm fighting against. SC you could at least see their weapons. Course TN could put the real characters name in parenthesis I guess, but that makes too much sense so it wouldn't happen.

So yes, I don't like the idea of create a character. VF style costume edit, fine, but to hell with create a character. Besides, like Rikuto said, we'd just see stupid copies anyways like some character from a TV show. There is never any originality.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yea... it always ends up being one of those concepts you really look forward to, and then it lets you down horribly...

UNDERX

I don't feel like spending the first half of a round trying to figure out what character I'm fighting against. SC you could at least see their weapons. Course TN could put the real characters name in parenthesis I guess, but that makes too much sense so it wouldn't happen.

So yes, I don't like the idea of create a character. VF style costume edit, fine, but to hell with create a character. Besides, like Rikuto said, we'd just see stupid copies anyways like some character from a TV show. There is never any originality.

Yet playing the costumes they made for over (how long has DOA4been out) Is original ? I don't think so, CC is the best way to keep replay value! To this day i Make new CC is SC4 and I love it!

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I think it potentially could be interesting but I don't have faith in Team Ninja to pull it off correctly. They sort of (but not really) experimented previously in DOA4 with the human avatars for the online lobbies. I'd rather have them put resources into fixing the gameplay and more levels rather than character customization.

Raansu

Yet playing the costumes they made for over (how long has DOA4been out) Is original ? I don't think so, CC is the best way to keep replay value! To this day i Make new CC is SC4 and I love it!

I really don't care about the variety of costumes. Like I said, I'm fine with VF5/Tk6 style item customization, but create a character is a waste of time, and it will only cause problems with the game and I just don't want to see it. And no matter how you look at it, doa overall has always offered more costumes than pretty much every other fighter that just offered a second player costume which was more or less a color swap, so there ya go.

Worry about the game play first, then the useless costumes later, because the game play is what really matters. I want a good fighting game, not create your favorite character from some tv show that will then cause problems with the game.

UNDERX

I really don't care about the variety of costumes. Like I said, I'm fine with VF5/Tk6 style item customization, but create a character is a waste of time, and it will only cause problems with the game and I just don't want to see it. And no matter how you look at it, doa overall has always offered more costumes than pretty much every other fighter that just offered a second player costume which was more or less a color swap, so there ya go.

Worry about the game play first, then the useless costumes later, because the game play is what really matters. I want a good fighting game, not create your favorite character from some tv show that will then cause problems with the game.

It might be a waste of time from your limited perspective but anyone who has a good business sense could see the mass appeal that CC would bring! And mass appeal is more sales, more sales means more money! More money mean future DOA tittles!

And how is it a "Waste" of time please clarify ?

And how would it ruin the game ? It would only enhance it! Yes good gameplay is important, But thats not an argument, gameplay is the core thing we are talking about extras beside the Obvius which is "good gameplay". I really don't understand why people are anti CC the only reason i can think is because you got use to you precious characters, but agian thats limiting the game. I love all the DOA peeps also :D But if you were able to Create a Wonder Woman or a Speiderman or whatever in DOA that would have MASS appeal! Again im thinking business, instead of limiting myself...

Raansu

It's a waste because it takes away resources towards more important things. A solid fighting game sells, and if anything proves that point, its MK9. After its long track record of being terrible, they stepped it up with MK9 without wasting time on something as lame as create a character. I also have no interest seeing people copying create a characters and seeing the same shit all the time because ppl have no creativity. You can say I'm limiting myself all you want, but in the end I only care about the core of the game. And anything that takes away resources into building that core game, I will instantly blame on ppl like you.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Now, children...

Anyway, you know what I mean UNDERX. Ronald Mc Donald sort of takes you out of immersion, but im not against customization. It fulfills that need to express yourself. full-out create a character modes are just really buggy and resource consuming, and DOA 5 is in sore, sore, sore need of massive system revamps. It's been ignored for the last two games in favor of fanservice and leniency towards casuals/beginners, so don't blame Raansu or me for feeling that way.

And yes, we know it makes sense from a business standpoint. It also makes sense from a business standpoint to have a much more solid fighter that will be taken seriously by both casuals and hardcore players.

It's just priorities, thats all.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD