Characters Character Height List

Brute

Standard Donor
The truth is that TN just randomly plops shit into the info section that "sounds about right," but then create the models themselves with proportions that work for the in-game gameplay. They give you a ton of body measurements (at least they did in one of the games), and yet almost everyone used copy-paste bodies, for example.

The "canonical" height of each character is just "Whatever is convenient." So if you're drawing fanart, and you want it to be accurate, draw them with heights that conveniently match the framing of the picture. It might be a little strange to have a tiny bass riding on Kasumi's shoulder like a parrot, but frankly, I've seen weirder.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
@Tyaren You can't lie down in Hell XD Satan wouldn't allow that!

And I'm about Christie's height, I'm taller than Kasumi and Naotora is about my height, Eliot is shorter than me but then again he's more built -_-

Jadeinchains

You mean you have the same length, since she'll be lying horizontal for the rest of eternity. ;P

... *twitches*

@Tyaren You can't lie down in Hell XD Satan wouldn't allow that!

giphy.gif

I can't post anything without this happening! Your both evil. XD Save me!

Naotora is about my height,

Wow, So your 2.7ft then?

canandbag.jpg

Jadeinchains

:eek: ...
smh lol your too good at this! XD ( I bet you have images and gifs on stand by for opportunity's! )
Also I thought Rachel was taller than Christie?

Mayor-Of-Mustard

Oh I definitely seen weirder fanart... :/ Deviantart is a disgusting wrong place. I'm blaming that on you @Mayor-Of-Mustard for opening up that pandora's box! XD
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I had to unfollow a few DOA deviantart groups recently... but I had to unfollow like 90% of my undertale groups like omg help

doatec4.PNG
(straight from my good ol fanfic at chapter 4 (aka the worst and cringiest chapter)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Hello.
I hope it's okay to bring this thread back up from the dead - I figured it would beat making a new one to discuss the same topic, which is the characters' heights.
More specifically, how the characters are actually supposed to compare height wise, in canon.

As I'm well aware the devs obviously have to make amends so everything works as intended gameplay wise, I personally don't mind the characters having same-ish height during gameplay.

Here's a little problem I've been facing though, and I was hoping I could maybe ask for help here, as I understand there are many dedicated and knowledgeable fans around here that would probably take this issue seriously (as I do), even if it's not really gameplay related.
As I'm something of an artist, I've ran into the issue of deciding on how tall I should picture and draw the characters, especially when they have to interact/stand close to each other, while trying to stay faithful to the canon. I have a huge respect for the series and its lore, so the last thing I'd want to do is to go against whatever TN established.

That's a bit of a headache actually, as from what I was able to gather, TN don't seem to really want to provide a definite answer about this. I'm even starting to wonder if they actually know the answer themselves.
Allow me to use images in this message as I try to lay down my points, as I believe this would help getting it across better.

First thing I researched is the very same intel OP used in here, which is the official heights for the characters. Upon looking it up, I found nothing really out of place, as most people discussed in this thread, how tall/small the characters are definitely seems to make sense, overall. It's also interesting to notice a few nice touches like Christie being the tallest girl for instance, and most of the female asian characters being really small.

The second thing I noticed is TN appears to have actually tried to use broader height differences during the custscenes in DOA5's Storymode.

LOSwOxz.jpg

For instance, Brad is definitely taller than Eliot in this scene, which matches their official heights too, as Brad is meant to be 6' 0" (182cm) tall and Eliot is 5' 6" (170cm). He seems to be half a head taller than him, just like he would IRL given the height difference (let's say for the sake of convenience an average human head is about 7.8"(20cm) tall.

But this same scene also contains the first issue I've ran into, or inconsistency if you will - when Hitomi goes "rawr" on Eliot.

NHCG8cL.jpg

Officially, Hitomi is supposed to be 5' 3" (160cm), that's as much of a height difference as with the Brad/Eliot scenario, yet she clearly has to bend over so their heads are level. Which shows TN is meaning to have Hitomi taller than Eliot.

There are a few other examples of this type but I'll try to keep this as short as possible so let's have a look at another case that stands out even more, in my opinion : The Hayate and his sisters case.
Officially, both Kasumi and Ayane are meant to be 5' 2" (158cm) tall, I think it's even less for Ayane (157cm). On the other hand, Hayate is supposed to be 5' 11" (180cm). Which would mean if we're still using our head reference, or even real life comparisons, he should be towering a good head over them.

bVzoFPm.jpg
xDFBq7M.jpg

... these screenshots don't seem to match these proportions, as it stands (no pun intended), either Kasumi and Ayane are at least 5' 6" (170cm) tall, or Hayate is much smaller than 5' 11" (180cm). There's just no way the top of the girls' heads would reach around his nose based on the official measurements.
For reference, here's what it would actually look like if the ingame heights were to match the official info :

TwxrURh.jpg

So yeah.
Trying to wrap my head around whatever TN's canon is regarding character heights has been a real hell so far, that's why I wanted to hear you guys' opinion about it, and what you would do if you were to faithfully translate all this info into fanwork/art, while trying to keep as respectful as possible to the source material. Would you just buff the 5' 2" asian ladies higher up ? What about the Hitomi/Eliot case, it's like TN is just throwing these numbers at random at this point - at least that's how I'm feeling about the whole thing. Interesting thing to note is these measurements seem to carry over to DOAX3 so it would seem they are definitely sticking to it. Then how would you explain these inconsistencies in the story mode cutscenes, which aren't bound by the same restrictions as gameplay and it's obvious they did try to take the actual heights into account in them ?

Any help would be appreciated, I can't seem to reach a satisfying consensus about this. Thank you for reading.

Did you take perspective into account in these pics? The characters aren't standing on completely equivalent footing such as Eliot clearly standing behind Brad in the first pic. With that said, Ayane & Kasumi are the tallest 5'2" women I've seen lol. I also don't know in what universe Momiji can shrink to 5'3", even taking posture and her hair into account.

RenjiKawada

Did you take perspective into account in these pics? The characters aren't standing on completely equivalent footing such as Eliot clearly standing behind Brad in the first pic. With that said, Ayane & Kasumi are the tallest 5'2" women I've seen lol. I also don't know in what universe Momiji can shrink to 5'3", even taking posture and her hair into account.
Yeah, I only posted a few pics to illustrate my point but I did thoroughly do my research first.
Still you're right to ask for more proof. In the Brad/Eliot & Hitomi/Leifang scenes there are a few more shots where perspective is less extreme and they're standing next to each other, like this one :

M9pxGMx.jpg

The heights still match. It would seem TN got it right regarding these two.
The smaller girls such as Kasumi/Ayane or Hitomi are still problematic, like in the scene where Brad tries to hit on Ayane,

LWHtlIo.jpg

... she stands almost as tall as Eliot next to Brad. A 6' 0" tall dude. And she's supposed to be 5' 2".
That's BS if you ask me.

The truth is that TN just randomly plops shit into the info section that "sounds about right," but then create the models themselves with proportions that work for the in-game gameplay. They give you a ton of body measurements (at least they did in one of the games), and yet almost everyone used copy-paste bodies, for example.

The "canonical" height of each character is just "Whatever is convenient." So if you're drawing fanart, and you want it to be accurate, draw them with heights that conveniently match the framing of the picture. It might be a little strange to have a tiny bass riding on Kasumi's shoulder like a parrot, but frankly, I've seen weirder.
Yeah, it really pains me to admit it but you're obviously right. There's more proof going toward this conclusion than anything else, so I suppose I'm just gonna have to accept TN just doesn't care and make up my own canon regarding heights....
Still, that's a shame.

Not sure why they keep on posting these BS measurements, even in DOAX3.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yeah, I only posted a few pics to illustrate my point but I did thoroughly do my research first.
Still you're right to ask for more proof. In the Brad/Eliot & Hitomi/Leifang scenes there are a few more shots where perspective is less extreme and they're standing next to each other, like this one :

M9pxGMx.jpg

The heights still match. It would seem TN got it right regarding these two.
The smaller girls such as Kasumi/Ayane or Hitomi are still problematic, like in the scene where Brad tries to hit on Ayane,

LWHtlIo.jpg

... she stands almost as tall as Eliot next to Brad. A 6' 0" tall dude. And she's supposed to be 5' 2".
That's BS if you ask me.

Yeah, it really pains me to admit it but you're obviously right. There's more proof going toward this conclusion than anything else, so I suppose I'm just gonna have to accept TN just doesn't care and make up my own canon regarding heights....
Still, that's a shame.

Not sure why they keep on posting these BS measurements, even in DOAX3.

I see your perspective now, thanks for the explanation. In the cutscenes, Ayane, Kasumi, Hitomi, etc anime waifus, look around 5'6". The reason why they're chosen to be listed as "5'2"" or "5'3"" is because most Asian men would prefer 5'3" or shorter women and wouldn't find 5'6" or taller women as attractive. Yeah, it's all part of the "fantasy" aspect of DOA. For perspective purposes in the cutscenes it'll look awkward for framing if the guys all towered over the Asian ladies entirely in the visual shots. Though, personally, I kinda like Ayane as 5'6" since I'm around 6'0" myself lol.

Last edited:

Argentus

I wouldn't mind seeing a DOA with the characters actually matching the listed heights, though. that'd be interesting.

Brute

Standard Donor
According to their stats, they are both about the height of an average, adult penguin.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
According to their stats, they are both about the height of an average, adult penguin.
Japan is all about the short moe girls, the only tall girls in DOA are basically the less popular mature ones bar Naotora and Mao, but Mai is as moe as I am Japanese, which is nada

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD