Character Matchup Discussion

FakeSypha

So about Bayman on 4.1? what would be his matchup? I'm really clueless of this kind of stuff, so maybe someone can point me out to a list with all the matchups (if that ever existed), please?

Just for curiosity, I don't play DOA4 more than a couple of times a week.

Allan Paris

So about Bayman on 4.1? what would be his matchup? I'm really clueless of this kind of stuff, so maybe someone can point me out to a list with all the matchups (if that ever existed), please?

Just for curiosity, I don't play DOA4 more than a couple of times a week.

There isn't a matchup list here on FSD for DOA4. How DOA4 plays out, though, is that the heavy/slower charcters are screwed from point A to Z all day everyday. Spartan is the only exception of this but she is not a part of the DOA universe.

But if you want a matchup list I can do quick one for a few characters.

:hayabusa: = Rapes All, Helena and he himself can give him trouble.

:helena: = Rapes All, Busa gives her trouble because of punch holds (all of them are izuna drops)

:Genfu: = Bullies everyone but Busa and Helena

:tengu: :bass: :bayman: :leon: :lisa: :Bradwong: :christie: = All of these charcters suck ass and takes a lot of work just to make them work when played against any character. The "work" that I am talking about is your own personal yomi game becuase mechanically they are useless.

The rest of cast are in between being shitty and decent.

I left out a few good characters that fall under the top 3 but this is just about how things go in DOA4 for matchups.

Rikuto Kuronaga could give more insight on how Bayman plays against some of the characters. Still at the end of the day EVERYTHING relies on your yomi game.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I would mention some things on Christie, but I dunno... I might sound dumb, screw up, and get bashed to no end for not being well-versed at strats.

So I'll do the smart thing... I'll keep it to myself.

FakeSypha

There isn't a matchup list here on FSD for DOA4. How DOA4 plays out, though, is that the heavy/slower charcters are screwed from point A to Z all day everyday. Spartan is the only exception of this but she is not a part of the DOA universe.

But if you want a matchup list I can do quick one for a few characters.

:hayabusa: = Rapes All, Helena and he himself can give him trouble.

:helena: = Rapes All, Busa gives her trouble because of punch holds (all of them are izuna drops)

:Genfu: = Bullies everyone but Busa and Helena

:tengu: :bass: :bayman: :leon: :lisa: :Bradwong: :christie: = All of these charcters suck ass and takes a lot of work just to make them work when played against any character. The "work" that I am talking about is your own personal yomi game becuase mechanically they are useless.

The rest of cast are in between being shitty and decent.

I left out a few good characters that fall under the top 3 but this is just about how things go in DOA4 for matchups.

Rikuto Kuronaga could give more insight on how Bayman plays against some of the characters. Still at the end of the day EVERYTHING relies on your yomi game.

Well, thanks a lot. I guess now I have an excuse to say to myself when I suck ass (which is quite frequent): character sucks ass, not me (?). Anyway, I always kind of ignored matchups and kept thinking the game was somewhat balanced and there was the possibility to beat anyone character with anyone. Kinda naive of me... or maybe it's true for some part. I mean, most regular players you encounter online aren't masters of strategy.

I asked about Bayman, because its not a character I fight a lot when I go online, but usually kicks my ass no matter what I do. Maybe I just suck, maybe is the lag favoring throws, maybe Bayman > Christie, dunno.

I would mention some things on Christie, but I dunno... I might sound dumb, screw up, and get bashed to no end for not being well-versed at strats.

I'm a Christie player, so I'd love to read some insights from someone with more experience with the character.

Allan Paris

Oh no, you could also be terrible, no offense, just saying. With you playing a terrible character things will be extremely difficult for you when playing against other characters. Like with :christie: if you haven't noticed, the heavier the characters get for you, she really can't do too much. Her juggles are ok against light-mid weights. Her holds are sub-par, and her throws are sub-par as well.

Between Bayman and Christie, you will have a hard time because you can't really juggle him, and her holds and throws are not that great. You are way faster than him so you have the edge there.

With this game, the better you get, the more you will see what I am saying. This game deals in 50/50's ALL THE TIME. So matchups really don't matter, yeah the characters have strats and all but with a back door to EVERYTHING, those strats become mute, null and void.

Are you brand new to this game or you just don't play much? I am not being an asshole, I am seriously asking this question.

FakeSypha

Oh no, you could also be terrible, no offense, just saying. With you playing a terrible character things will be extremely difficult for you when playing against other characters. Like with :christie: if you haven't noticed, the heavier the characters get for you, she really can't do too much. Her juggles are ok against light-mid weights. Her holds are sub-par, and her throws are sub-par as well.

Between Bayman and Christie, you will have a hard time because you can't really juggle him, and her holds and throws are not that great. You are way faster than him so you have the edge there.

With this game, the better you get, the more you will see what I am saying. This game deals in 50/50's ALL THE TIME. So matchups really don't matter, yeah the characters have strats and all but with a back door to EVERYTHING, those strats become mute, null and void.

Are you brand new to this game or you just don't play much? I am not being an asshole, I am seriously asking this question.
You pretty much summarized my situation against Bayman players. The only thing I could do is try to interrupt any his slow attacks with jabs and whatnot, but for the rest of the match I usually have to force myself to avoid using long strings (they get predictable too fast) and try to mix up all they way I can. P, P, T works out a couple of times but that itself don't make me win. A couple of mistakes, and I'm open to get thrown all over the place for half of my lifebar if not more. Not to mention when I get anxious and try some retarded predictable combo out of my ass. Looking at my own saved replays I see myself losing for my very own mistakes that were well exploited by the opponent. Won't take them their credit for doing it.

Yes, I'm terrible, I have no doubt about it. I started playing DOA4 around September. I haven't played that much (like 400 online matches or so). Don't worry you were really polite, dude xD

Allan Paris

Yeah you need to get your hit confiriming skills down. If 2 consecutive blows are blocked, stop attacking. A few characcters can get away with their :P::P::P: string becuase it is safe ie Hayate. Christie's is unsafe so stop attacking if :P::P: is not hitting. Interrupting Bayman or just beating him out is what you should be doing with Christie. But once you start hitting anyone you need to be very cautious because you can be held at any time while you are on the offensive.

What is "P, P, T"? When you finish strings with any character you are unsafe. Kokoro, Gen Fu, and TIna can finish a nice amonut of their strings and be safe. Those are the top 3 characters that can get away with finsihing strings and they don't have to worry about throw punishment.

Throwing is the #1 form of punishment in this game, so that is why you are getting thrown all over the place when you finish strings or moves. But with Bayman he can't punish throw you, so when you are playing against him and you know you are going to be thrown just press your throw button or do any one of Christies throws (not her offensive holds) and you will grab him.

The reason you will grab him is because all of Bayman's throws are Offensive Holds (except his neutral throw) and throws beat out offensive holds.

Allan Paris

That is also a major problem that players (beginners) have, no composure during a fight. So they find themselves throwing up hail mary's and losing 100 times over when pit up against someone who knows what they are doing. When you get anxious just take deep breathes and chill out, you will think better.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Whining and feeling intimidated are two different things.

Grap3 isn't going to jump through the computer screen and punch you in the face for posting what you consider to be a valid strategy. The worst anyone can do is openly disagree with you. That isn't something you should fear. When people all agree, you know you are most likely on the right path, but when people disagree it is the only opportunity to learn a new viewpoint.

Both situations are useful, regardless of which side you stand on.

He's calling you emo (as i have done in the past) to get you to reflect on yourself realistically and stop acting in such a self destructive manner when nobody wants to bash on you the way you always seem to perceive we will. And really, nobody does want to bash on you man. We just can't stand watching you beat yourself up all the time for what appears to be no good reason.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, there always is, but we can't just say nothing either.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

Awesmic, this is the last warning I'm going to give you about this. If you proceed to post such messages then I will simply be deleting them in the future. What you are doing is the equivalent of saying "Yeah, I could contribute to this conversation - but I'm not going to.". You're simply adding fluff posts that give no reward. These such posts have a greater chance of getting you "bashed" than actually posting the content you claim you are afraid to post.

In addition, this is a discussion forum, and if you do not want to contribute to strategy discussion then it makes no sense to even post that you have strategies you don't want to share with people who are asking for them. The point of a forum is to share ideas and concepts, and not participating in the logical discussions simply hurts you, your peers, and the community from ever growing. You are a grown man and should not be doing the shit like this that you do.

Lastly, I have never - never - seen someone get bashed on this site for discussing strategies and game system information. Whatever it is you're used to from another site doesn't apply here, and you won't know what people's response is until you actually share your opinions and ideas. Yes, you may be corrected, but that's the point of discussions. They are not one-way streets as long as you come in with an open mind to them and other people's point of views and experience.

FakeSypha

Yeah you need to get your hit confiriming skills down. If 2 consecutive blows are blocked, stop attacking. A few characcters can get away with their :P::P::P: string becuase it is safe ie Hayate. Christie's is unsafe so stop attacking if :P::P: is not hitting. Interrupting Bayman or just beating him out is what you should be doing with Christie. But once you start hitting anyone you need to be very cautious because you can be held at any time while you are on the offensive.

What is "P, P, T"? When you finish strings with any character you are unsafe. Kokoro, Gen Fu, and TIna can finish a nice amonut of their strings and be safe. Those are the top 3 characters that can get away with finsihing strings and they don't have to worry about throw punishment.

Throwing is the #1 form of punishment in this game, so that is why you are getting thrown all over the place when you finish strings or moves. But with Bayman he can't punish throw you, so when you are playing against him and you know you are going to be thrown just press your throw button or do any one of Christies throws (not her offensive holds) and you will grab him.

The reason you will grab him is because all of Bayman's throws are Offensive Holds (except his neutral throw) and throws beat out offensive holds.

By "P,P,T" I meant doing two jabs and then stop attacking and see if I can get my opponent whiff a hold (or he keeps blocking and thinking the string will continue), therefore I can throw him. I'm not well versed on technical fighting "language", so I assume there is an actual way to say that "strategy".

Just a few minutes ago I was on practice mode dicking around with Bayman, trying out his moveset and yep, pretty much all of his throws are OHs. So, Throws > OHs. Shit, I should knew that... that's the reason I was caught so much when trying to interrupt with a fast attack (OH > strikes). Yeah, well a long journey of learning awaits me.

Thanks again man. You clarified a lot of things for me. Shit went a little offtopic, though :p

Allan Paris

Yes, the strat that you are doing is called Punch Grabbing. It's pretty good to have in your arsenal but never abuse, things can get very bad for you if you are overly predictable with it. Stick around here on FSD and you will pick on the technical language for this fighting game and possibly other fighters as well. lol, for the record, though, "P,P,T" is not a techincal term in this fighting game.

What you described what you are doing ("P, P, T,") it is called punch grabbing. It's moreso punch grabbing when you do it to players that constantly block or they try to be too defensive. When you get them to whiff holds you are then punishing them for a bad guess/prediction.

You are correct as far understanding how offensive holds work against strikes (OHs > Strikes). However, OHs can be stuffed (stopped) if you hit your opponent in the start up frames of the OH. Usually a very well timed jab can stop the OH at a close enough range, kicks can do it as well, but jabs work a little better being faster.

No problem man, I'm here to help along with many others.

Jefffcore

The biggest thing Busa has to look for when playing Helena is her Bokuho stance. R1F, Busa has her everywhere. His handstance, 66P, 2K, and mid punch holds will shut her down. At range she doesn't have much of anything.

And like AP said, Hayate has something for everyone. His 2K will HCB Busa 8K, stop his 2P+K, obviously his 2F+K, and his 8P and 4P will crush Busa's 6P, and he's one of 3 characters that can stop Busa's handstance everytime. I would put him above Kasumi. His spacing game is one of the best in the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD