Community Discussion for Tournament Rules

Should The Ends of the Earth stage be banned? 2/3 or 3/5 matches?

• Total voters

dawnbringer

I think nothing should be banned unless it's game breaking. In particular, The Ends of the Earth stage should not be banned.

If, for example, some people are having problems with seeing action on this stage due to its brightness or something, it would be a valid ban claim.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Question: If EotE was to be banned, why not ban Sanctuary as well?

The stage is more water than land, and as mentioned, you can get reset after each round. I've worked my way out of the water many times, only to be reset back in the water with my opponent between me and the land. That's not a fun position to be in.

I'm not saying I'm for or against the ban, but if you're going to ban one, why leave the other?

Discuss...

Official rules for DOA5 have yet to be set. I am watching this thread though.

Sanctuary is fine. It is only half water. On EotE you are stuck in water for the entire match.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Official rules for DOA5 have yet to be set. I am watching this thread though.

Thanks, I have not heard official rules or anything, just rumors. Also heard rumor that the system will be PS3 even with its 1 more frame delay, is that true or still being decided?

I'm on the fence, but I lean towards 3/5 at this time due to seeing in practice the tension 3/5 brings. However, I do understand the time reasons for 2/3. I would be okay with a 3/5 starting at Semi-Finals and continuing thereon.

Sanctuary at least gives you an area to fight for and have a goal in mind, if both players prefer on land then spacing can be done to get both players on there, if one wants to fight in water then they have a spacial advantage. Much like how Home is ceiling heavy but it's possible to go out into the open yard either by positioning you or your opponent to the walls that allow for it.

mcpeanuts

I really do prefer 3/5 the whole way through. I realize it's not always practical what with how much longer it takes and time being a finite resource. When it's possible though it's really nice, you get more time to adapt to someone's gameplay and make adjustments. Plus it mitigates the impact of getting a bad stage for one game. Like even if we decide to ban EotE there's still gonna be stages you like and stages you don't like, and getting one stage you don't like isn't as big a deal in 3/5.

DrDogg

Sanctuary is fine. It is only half water. On EotE you are stuck in water for the entire match.

Sanctuary is more than half water. I'd say it's roughly 65% water. It can also be very difficult to get out of the water depending on where the fight begins. It's not uncommon to be stuck fighting in the water for a full round, then start the next round even farther away from the land.

I'm not understanding how this isn't impactful enough to warrant the ban that's being suggested for EotE.

Thanks, I have not heard official rules or anything, just rumors. Also heard rumor that the system will be PS3 even with its 1 more frame delay, is that true or still being decided?

Nothing has been confirmed/announced concerning the specifics of DOA5 in official IPL events.

Sanctuary at least gives you an area to fight for and have a goal in mind, if both players prefer on land then spacing can be done to get both players on there, if one wants to fight in water then they have a spacial advantage. Much like how Home is ceiling heavy but it's possible to go out into the open yard either by positioning you or your opponent to the walls that allow for it.

The issue presented in this thread is that EotE unbalances the game. How is it any less unbalanced on Sanctuary? Just because there's land doesn't mean it's easy to get to, or that your opponent will just give in and allow you to make it to land (especially if the slippery surface favors their character).

Again, I'm not saying I'm for or against the potential ban. I'm just trying to discern why a ban of EotE is on the table, while Sanctuary is okay.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'd say it's roughly 65% water.

That's 35% more land than EotE.

I just don't see as much of an issue due to the fact some sort of non-slip ground exists. To me, it's something to shoot for in positioning.

I'm not arguing with you, just trying to answer your question with how I feel there is a difference between them. So don't worry, I'm not saying you're for/against. The point is to get facts and explain reasonings, and I'm all for that.

DrDogg

That's 35% more land than EotE.

I just don't see as much of an issue due to the fact some sort of non-slip ground exists. To me, it's something to shoot for in positioning.

I'm not arguing with you, just trying to answer your question with how I feel there is a difference between them. So don't worry, I'm not saying you're for/against. The point is to get facts and explain reasonings, and I'm all for that.

In high level play, against an opponent who doesn't want you on land, with the opponent between you and the land, how easy would you say it is to reach land? On the average...

NukNuks

IF IPL chooses to go with PS3 DOA5 for tournament play then well...that'd be a horrible, horrible decision ey.

Dr. Dogg, it seems like you're the one with the power to tell the IGN folks how DOA should be ran. I understand having used the PS3 version during the Hot Import Nights tournament because it was the first time in like nearly a decade that DOA would be on a playstation system. Those pre-launch days are done now. Anyone that's heavy in the DOA community knows that core tournament players choose 360>PS3.

loralei

I don't find anything wrong with the Ends of the Earth, just because some characters can take more advantage of it than others shouldn't be a problem. Most DoA players know about the special stun effects that water/ice give you, so why take it away and NOT use it to the best of your/your characters advantage? It also encourages being more careful during the match. It's not like you can't do anything about it if they abuse/spam lows in this game. And 2/3 at first for tourney matches, and 3/5 for finals. This way you can really tell who the superior player is.

DrDogg

IF IPL chooses to go with PS3 DOA5 for tournament play then well...that'd be a horrible, horrible decision ey.

Dr. Dogg, it seems like you're the one with the power to tell the IGN folks how DOA should be ran. I understand having used the PS3 version during the Hot Import Nights tournament because it was the first time in like nearly a decade that DOA would be on a playstation system. Those pre-launch days are done now. Anyone that's heavy in the DOA community knows that core tournament players choose 360>PS3.

If I played on pad, I'd be extremely disappointed if I had to go to a DOA5 tournament run on 360. I know other competitive players feel the same way about the 360 pad and would rather not use a converter. So while there has been no decision on which platform IPL will use, I wouldn't say that core tournament players choose 360 over PS3. There are arguments in favor of both platforms.

Raansu

If I played on pad, I'd be extremely disappointed if I had to go to a DOA5 tournament run on 360. I know other competitive players feel the same way about the 360 pad and would rather not use a converter. So while there has been no decision on which platform IPL will use, I wouldn't say that core tournament players choose 360 over PS3. There are arguments in favor of both platforms.

http://www.cronusdevice.com/

Zero input lag, best converter out there.

Also, the dpad on the afterglow 360 controller is pretty damn good. Regardless, I'd rather play on a crappy 360 dpad than play on that horrible ps3 version where there is delay AT THE MENU SCREEN. Playing on the ps3 offline is worse than playing online on the 360...and online on the ps3 with lag + the ridiculous input delay on the ps3 version = completely unplayable. I'd be surprised if most people here didn't feel the same way about the ps3 version.

Mr.Kwiggle

i like the idea of banning EotE, it completely changes how people have to play on that stage. I dont like the fact that the stage causes people to win vs people's skill levels causing them to win. I prefer 3/5 rounds though. 2/3 just feels too short in my opinion.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

Most of the people I talked to at DID favored the 360 over the PS3.

Most of the people I talked to at NEC felt the same way.

I am among those people. The DS3 is, frankly, bad for a lot of the DOA cast. 11 and 33 inputs do not come out very consistently at all. In order to get a pad that can actually achieve that, I actually have to go out and buy an 80$ pad specifically designed to not be bad.

IceMage95

Most of the people I talked to at DID favored the 360 over the PS3.

Most of the people I talked to at NEC felt the same way.

I am among those people. The DS3 is, frankly, bad for a lot of the DOA cast. 11 and 33 inputs do not come out very consistently at all. In order to get a pad that can actually achieve that, I actually have to go out and buy an 80$ pad specifically designed to not be bad.
Not just 11 and 33, but 7 and 9 are pretty hard to pull off on a PS3 controller. I'd rather not go buy a converter and a wired controller to use (stupid Microsoft only likes wireless).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Not just 11 and 33, but 7 and 9 are pretty hard to pull off on a PS3 controller. I'd rather not go buy a converter and a wired controller to use (stupid Microsoft only likes wireless).

Yes, I'm aware. I was trying to do 9K out of Bayman's limbo setup and it was impossible. All I could get was 8K. I tried it like five times in a row with the same result and was just baffled.

DrDogg

http://www.cronusdevice.com/

Zero input lag, best converter out there.

Also, the dpad on the afterglow 360 controller is pretty damn good. Regardless, I'd rather play on a crappy 360 dpad than play on that horrible ps3 version where there is delay AT THE MENU SCREEN. Playing on the ps3 offline is worse than playing online on the 360...and online on the ps3 with lag + the ridiculous input delay on the ps3 version = completely unplayable. I'd be surprised if most people here didn't feel the same way about the ps3 version.

I'm aware there are converters. Some people simply prefer not to use them, others would rather not spend the money on them.

Also, having played a bit of the PS3 version offline this past weekend, I found it to be much more playable than the 360 version online. ;)

I have zero problems inputting diagonals on the Dual Shock 3. I can play DOA5 on Dual Shock 3 or stick with minimal problems (although I have to adjust to pad since I mainly play stick). I can't play the game hardly at all on a 360 pad. I have difficulty playing Puzzle Fighter on a 360 pad and that's far less input heavy than DOA5.

Again, there are pros and cons to both platforms.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
i like the idea of banning EotE, it completely changes how people have to play on that stage. I dont like the fact that the stage causes people to win vs people's skill levels causing them to win. I prefer 3/5 rounds though. 2/3 just feels too short in my opinion.

3/5 rounds or 3/5 matches? This is a discussion on the matches, not the rounds.

In high level play, against an opponent who doesn't want you on land, with the opponent between you and the land, how easy would you say it is to reach land? On the average...

Assuming that each is of equal skill, and that each opponent wants opposite land choices, then I would say it's a 50-50 chance. It really comes down to character movement (before round start) and juggle/knockback/position switching throw options each has. I still say at least there's a chance unlike EotE which has 0 chance. If there was a steel floor area on Ends of the earth like in the center, I'd tolerate it.

The other issue that separates EotE and Sanctuary is EotE is more notorious with glitchy cliff falls. Including falling through what looks like a wall. It makes it difficult to tell if you're safe from the 'ring out'.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD