Creative Art Input Thread

Argentus

Another WIP. Would appreciate input, as I have no clue what the hell I'm doing, I'm just winging it. @Tyaren @synce

DigiTronWIP_002.jpg

Argentus

Looks good to me!

(I'm a terrible critic btw)
lol. No suggestions or anything?

I already realized I screwed up the lighting bad....I'm going to have the lighting coming from behind metalgreymon, and otherwise the lighting coming from the glowing eyes, shoulder light, and tron lines. But I was sticking too close to the reference images for the metallic shading, now not sure how to adjust it.

Cigarette

A dude what has donkey ears. It was supposed to say "DENIED" on the bottom of his sandal along with an Oh-Noes face, but I forgot

cc.png

Cigarette

Also, I have a whole slough of 3D models from when I was playing with SolidWorks. My favorite is this snakeblade, kinda like what Ivy wields in SC:

EXTENDED 2.png

(Retracted view)
The Tail - SHING.png

My second proudest accomplishment is this. If there's any fans of RWBY here, I made a model of those poor VTOL aircraft that are always getting shot down every episode

VTOL 1.png

Last edited:

Argentus

Nice, digging the colors on the donkey dude especially

Preview of something I'm working on...

View attachment 8249

Trying to figure out how to color this bitch is almost as tough as fighting her (does anyone remember NG1? haha)
NG1 is the only NG I remember lol. I must ask though, why is Alma looking crosseyed there?

as for coloring...lots and lots of gradients lol.

Ghosty-J

Oh hey I came back :V
Blah blah blah, some crap I scribbled on Christmas.
tumblr_inline_nh5bx0IZ651rs1tzi.png

Anyway, that Digimon art looks great for a WIP! Metallic lighting/shading is super tricky. When I shade metal, my order usually goes as such:
Highlight -> Midtone -> Highlight -> Core Shadow -> Shadow -> Reflective light
I should be looking into it more, but it's how I always got some pretty convincing results. Perhaps when I feel like practicing it, a full on drawing of Dural would suffice :U

Argentus

Oh hey I came back :V
Blah blah blah, some crap I scribbled on Christmas.
tumblr_inline_nh5bx0IZ651rs1tzi.png

Anyway, that Digimon art looks great for a WIP! Metallic lighting/shading is super tricky. When I shade metal, my order usually goes as such:
Highlight -> Midtone -> Highlight -> Core Shadow -> Shadow -> Reflective light
I should be looking into it more, but it's how I always got some pretty convincing results. Perhaps when I feel like practicing it, a full on drawing of Dural would suffice :U
10897890_1553006788283044_4807393511491767324_n.jpg

Thanks, here's an update to it. I'm just winging it and hoping for the best, to be honest lol. I still gotta do the Tron guy, background, and lighting.

Ghosty-J

Protip: if anyone's ever considering doing a manga, you might want to plan out the technical aspect of it. I ended up with a confusing 50 layer mess because I didn't bother looking up any tutorials, and now I have to dig myself out of a huge hole

View attachment 8651

Make sure you have a tone template ready and use only one set of tones for the whole page... By default Manga Studio sort of makes you think you're supposed to do each panel individually but it's very inefficient and causes lots of annoyances later on. Also rasterize your panels. Ideally you'll have 1 folder with a handful of tones, 1 panel layer, and 1 line art layer. NOT 50.
Fortunately I figured that out sooner and decided to keep all my panels in one layer as opposed to a million others for effects and junk.
Luckily, I'm one of those crazy dingbats that would rather spend a million of their ours working in color as opposed to messing with tones B|

critical_beeeeeeeees_by_pltnm06ghost-d8e1d1a.png

This thread has now been taken over by butts.

lotr9690

Off-topic, I'm having an ADD attack but @synce I use manga studio, too! I've never seen a screen cap of someone else using manga studio. Awesome!

synce

I'm sorry, all I see is butt.

Yes my plan worked! :p

Ghosty honestly I think you could color a page quicker than it took me to figure out tones haha And at the end of it all I ended up going with a mostly tone-free style (I think it's one of those 'less is more' things).

But yeah Manga Studio is pretty sweet... it's mostly used by Japanese I think, hence why it's very tough to find good English tutorials.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD