Creative Art Input Thread

Argentus

To be completely honest, I don't have much expertise regarding super heroes/super villains. I'm not a big fan of comics of that sort. :/
Why does she have to voluptuous? I don't understand the connection of that and poison. How does she spread her poison by the way?
By blades, nails, boots, breath and wires.
.and I'm just giving her a different body type in contrast to her partner Marie who has more of a gymnast build. She's like...Venezuelan or something, I'm just running with it.

Your girl in the blue cloak was pretty curvy too lol.

Though I'm gonna try for better proportions with references, yeah.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Your girl in the blue cloak was pretty curvy too lol.

Lol, I obviously don't have anything against curvy girls, I was just wondering, why she had to be super curvy. But it does make sense and is a nice contrast, if her partner looks athletic.

Wires? Oh, why don't you wrap some wires around her as part of the costume. Maybe even barbed wire...

Cigarette

Doodles:

1. Space thing wot travels in space. Its like a mini- Red Dwarf.
BSE Module.png

2. Demon-God Dumplin inviting you into the F-Box
Get Inside.png

3. Self charicature, me with a fishbowl. Note the strand of blonde hair that got scanned into the image
smarmy hat and hoody guy.png

4. OC's facing off: Archerfish and Betta
fishes.png

Last edited:

Blash

@Blash, so cool, that you are trying out 3D art. I've always wanted to try this out myself, but felt very intimidated and then the professional programs are also really expensive...

Thanks @Tyaren Its interesting at the moment. Difficult but interesting. I was just sitting here wondering what I should work on next, need to practice a few things again. I finished my first 3D job this morning, and am about to wrap up another piece for my portfolio. Seen as how you are an experienced and skill character concept designer, throw me one of your OCs and I can put a WIP up here as I work on it. Its can be one of the first SFD cross media, non-DOA co-labs.

Any character you have done, or are working on. You know I am a huge fan of your work, so I think it would be great.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
In love with this. Was this entirely done with a computer, or did it start as a pencil sketch? I am super new to using a computer for drawings. Really art as a whole, I am oldschool. So I am trying to obsorb information.

Entirely done on the computer. Saves a lot of time, as I don't have to scan my pencil sketches to digitally refine them. I did this often at the beginning though. It took me a long time (years) to really get comfortable enough with a graphic tablet. x__X But that's just me, many others are faster learners.

@Blash, wow, thanks for the compliments! :3 Hmm... Any kind of character you would prefer? I don't want to throw someone/something at you, that you might not really like working on.

Last edited:

Blash

wow, thanks for the compliments! :3 Hmm... Any kind of character you would prefer? I don't want to throw someone/something at you, that you might not really like working on.

Anything! What ever you like.

Im sure in the coming weeks, as I look for more and more work, I'll have to build stuff Im not 100% partial to. Im still trying to get as much practice in as I can. I just spend a week working on a overly cartoon horse wearing sports jerseys. So ANYTHING would be an improvement on that. Plus, I like all your work, so just pick your favourite character and I'll work on it.

I'll put updates here as I go. I think it will be fun. Everyone can jump in with their 2 cents. So yeah... your favourite character I guess!

Blash

Cool, gonna start it tomorrow.

I'll put a WIP up each day, unless there isn't much to show.

Argentus

Alright... How about her? :)

View attachment 13319

She's called Mina. And here she is with her sleepy dog Milo:

View attachment 13320
Man I wish I could draw like you. I'm sketching semi regularly now but I can't seem to keep up a consistent quality.

Watching nemo in slumber land on crunchy roll and sketched Bonbon while I watched

IMG_20150905_185739_175.jpg

Cool, gonna start it tomorrow.

I'll put a WIP up each day, unless there isn't much to show.

Lol here was my very first time using zbrush. Teacher gave us 30 minutes to do whatever to see what we could come up with before he actually taught the program.

zbrush___bruce_willis_by_degalon-d39xx7h.jpg

Blash

Bit of a delay in getting this one started. Began yesterday, continuing for a few hours now. Here is the first WIP of @Tyaren 's Mina Character.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 14.46.24.png
Yes, it looks like a creepy Good Guys doll head meets Pinhead right now, but thats just how it goes. This is 5 hours of work so far. Its also the first time I built a head in one go. Usually, you will make a few mistakes with the amount of faces/verticies you should use and its best to start from scratch, but this one came together on the first attempt.

For those of you who don't know much about 3D, there are 2 main ways of creating a 3D model; Sculpting and Building. Sculpting uses a virtual 'clay' to morph the model you want into being. Its fast and yields the best finished results. It has to be re-topologized (re-built using larger polygons and mush more user friendly geometry) to be used in a practical manner, which takes time.

Building, involves extruding faces/edges/verticies and positioning them to make up the shape you need. Its harder and requires a LOT of pre-planning to get perfect, and its slower. The reason why I am doing the model this way is because its just simply good practice. Sculpting requires skill and practise too, but for what I want to do, this is the best way to go about this.

I'll try post another update with less talk tomorrow!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Bit of a delay in getting this one started. Began yesterday, continuing for a few hours now. Here is the first WIP of @Tyaren 's Mina Character.

View attachment 13381
Yes, it looks like a creepy Good Guys doll head meets Pinhead right now, but thats just how it goes. This is 5 hours of work so far. Its also the first time I built a head in one go. Usually, you will make a few mistakes with the amount of faces/verticies you should use and its best to start from scratch, but this one came together on the first attempt.

For those of you who don't know much about 3D, there are 2 main ways of creating a 3D model; Sculpting and Building. Sculpting uses a virtual 'clay' to morph the model you want into being. Its fast and yields the best finished results. It has to be re-topologized (re-built using larger polygons and mush more user friendly geometry) to be used in a practical manner, which takes time.

Building, involves extruding faces/edges/verticies and positioning them to make up the shape you need. Its harder and requires a LOT of pre-planning to get perfect, and its slower. The reason why I am doing the model this way is because its just simply good practice. Sculpting requires skill and practise too, but for what I want to do, this is the best way to go about this.

I am thrilled, how this is going to turn out! :) Coming close to Mina's manga look in 3D will probably be a challenge.

Argentus

View attachment 13381

Yeah that's why I prefer sculpting but ideally you should do both and be transferring between programs for details.

Looks good so far though.

Blash

Thanks a lot guys! I got a good bit done today, so I should have a decent update in the late afternoon/evening.
Its slowly starting to come together.

[UPDATE]:

Here is another update to @Tyaren 's Mina character:

She doesn't look like Chucky as much as she used to, but looks creepier in a different way cos' of her big unblinking eyes (they have to be wide open for the key shapes later on).

There are no modifiers on the model yet so you can see all the tris and faces. The hair is VERY low poly, but that will have a few modifiers after the heads built. Eye brows and the start of the bandana are there too.

Mwip02.png

Last edited:

Argentus

Looks awesome so far.

Also I'm just practicing sketches while doing laundry

@synce
Includes a quick sketch of Nora among the other characters.

IMG_20150916_004853_064.jpg

Any thoughts /suggestions? Debating whether to go back to Norah having massive breasts, or keep them toned down like this. Not disproportionately large, but this almost feels too small.

Blash

Made a bit more progress today! If all goes to plan, it should really start looking like the character tomorrow.
I'll post another update tomorrow night!

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 20.10.01.png

The bodies general shape is complete, the bandana and the bow at the back are there, the hair is finished but still in a low poly version at the moment. Hands need scale and detail, but aside from that, almost ready to start building the outfit.

Getting there...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Hey, great progress @Blash! This is exciting to watch! :D
May I give you a little tip, regarding the "Chucky" and "creepyness" problem? :)
One of the main points of Mina's character design is her...let's call it "roundness". Almost everything from her, to her clothing and accessories is round in shape and supposed to give her a childlike, cute, soft and bouncy look. At this point her cheeks are much too hollow. Her facial features remind a little of Gollum (please don't be offendend!), with his hollow cheeks and very large eyes:
gollumx2.jpg

Don't be afraid, to give her really round and plump cheeks. :) Something more like this.

Blash.jpg

Here again the original for comparison:
mwip02-png.13393

I also made her mouth and nose smaller/less prominent. The mouth can be wider, only if she's smiling.
We usually find human computer generated characters creepy (the infamous "uncanny valley"), if they stylistically don't find the right spot between either realistic looking or very stylized looking. It's a science on it's own and artists/designers are working on this since the beginning of CG and it's still kind of a mystery. To best circumvent the uncanny valley, make Mina as manga/anime as possible. The rest of the creepiness should go away, once her irises are not just a small black holes anymore. ;) Here some examples of that cute, childlike CG look:

01_MarieRose.jpg

Elsa%20and%20Anna.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I think, you did a really good job regarding her eye shape, hair and bandana. My drawing left a lot to the imagination and I didn't even know, if it would work out in 3D, but you made it work! :)

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD