Day 10 of IPL's 12 Days of DOA: Game Play Footage Set 1

Day 10 of IGN Pro League's 12 Days of Dead or Alive 5 has arrived. Today they bring a few game play matches from their staff of players who have had some time with the August game build.

The characters in battle are Ayane, Bass, Eliot, Hayate, La Mariposa, Jann Lee, Lei Fang, and Rig. We also get to see the new stage "Home" and the tigers are finally shown off in "The Show". Personally, the tigers don't look anywhere near as annoying as Dead or Alive 4's cheetah because they are triggered by hitting the wall danger zone and the ring master announces their departure. You be the judge. All the matches from set one are on display below, but be sure to check out more info from doa.ign.com. My personal favorites are the Jann Lee & Hayate matches, and any match that has Bass winning. What can I say? I'm a pro wrestling fan. I just wish I could have seen his F5.

I'm terribly unfamiliar with twitter, but I made an account just to address the recovery-frame issue. Who exactly do I send a tweet at for them to potentially read whatever it is I write?

I'm terribly unfamiliar with twitter, but I made an account just to address the recovery-frame issue. Who exactly do I send a tweet at for them to potentially read whatever it is I write?

I second this, I would like to go cry to whoever I can now. I dont want to see doa die.

TeamNINJAStudio or TecmoKoeiEurope

Thanks Eckhart, I can't believe this. Worst part is this is the august build thats at the tournament on saturday and I've already paid for my ticket and my hotel. This is so garbage, all my hype has been smashed.

How many ACTIVE frames, have the holds now? The reversals on Virtua Fighter, are very fast, with FEW active frames, AND can block after fail. I'm not seeing the tragedy here. An example: many players abused with Gen Fu, with delay strings...with faster recovery on holds, now we have more chances of stop it. In this case, no matter that the hold is less harmful than in DoA 4, if used to stop a string. I always said the same, while playing DoA 4 with friends: the holds must be much much less harmful in DoA 5...this game should not be based solely on that. I have won many many battles only with holds...is ridiculous.

The tragedy is that this is not vf, in VF, you dont hold while youre being hit, it's a different game.

It's not the active frames, it's not the damage, it's not about landing the hold. It's the overall time it takes to do it is far too short. It's what "high level" doa 4 play has become today and it's garbage.

Using the mechanic to escape a stun that you got put into either by failing or your opponents skill is unexceptable.

How many ACTIVE frames, have the holds now? The reversals on Virtua Fighter, are very fast, with FEW active frames, AND can block after fail. I'm not seeing the tragedy here. An example: many players abused with Gen Fu, with delay strings...with faster recovery on holds, now we have more chances of stop it. In this case, no matter that the hold is less harmful than in DoA 4, if used to stop a string.

VF and DoA frame data on the holds are actually very very similar. A difference of 3-4 frames depending on the character. The difference is that DoA it is a universal tool and in VF you can't use it when being hit.

How many ACTIVE frames, have the holds now? The reversals on Virtua Fighter, are very fast, with FEW active frames, AND can block after fail. I'm not seeing the tragedy here. An example: many players abused with Gen Fu, with delay strings...with faster recovery on holds, now we have more chances of stop it. In this case, no matter that the hold is less harmful than in DoA 4, if used to stop a string. I always said the same, while playing DoA 4 with friends: the holds must be much much less harmful in DoA 5...this game should not be based solely on that. I have won many many battles only with holds...is ridiculous.

Dude.. you have no clue 0_0. We shouldnt have more chances to stop it, you should be punished for being STUNNED instead of giving chances to save yourself and deal damage at the same time... and the way the recovery of the holds works right now if you hold on the first few frames after being stunned you recover fast enough to block the next hit which means you are getting rewarded for FUKING UP FAST ENOUGH.

And you cant reversal in VF out of mashable stuns, get a fuking grip, there are sabakis in VF, no holds. Actually, besides the few mashable stuns WHICH YOU CANT HOLD OUT OF IN VF, there is no stun game in VF... so what the fuck are you talking about?

The problem with the hold recovery in doa5 is not the hold recovery in the neutral game, it is the hold recovery once youre stunned... take a moment to think about that... please...

....That is a huge difference, fyi. Again, DoA is not VF. I'm sorry I can't help you see the problem. Either they'll fix it, and Doa will have a chance of being somthing, or they wont and you can watch it die with me.

edit:Bier, there are holds in VF, but as i said, the mechanic in VF is non comparable, because you cant hold out of hit stun, Theres almost 0 downside to holding atm if you do it fast enough. Becomes more apparent on characters lacking fast mids and have higher recover on their own moves.

Dude.. you have no clue 0_0. We shouldnt have more chances to stop it, you should be punished for being STUNNED instead of giving chances to save yourself and deal damage at the same time...
The eternal stuns in DoA. They must be rebalanced...TN must be learn something from AM2.

Maybe they should simply change the hold recovery frames on the level of stun. If you hold while in a normal state, the current recovery is fine, but when stunned, you should be able to get punished for it instead of rewarded. So, why not
hold in stun = double recovery frames?
That would probably fix the problem.

On another note, I guess everyone is too busy bashing the hold system to notice that from the looks of it you can also hit someone from the side, not only front or back.

@Night, That suggestion would work just fine. However, it's kind of hard to comment on all the improvments and new stuff(which looks great)when the current state of the hold system makes all of that mean absolutly nothing.

What you guys aren't seeing is the many situations where holding can't happen. When you get hands on you'll get blown up if you try to hold out of everything, because the recovery is there, the unholdables are there which throws off your next counter attempt (and you'll be hit), and there are moves that add frame advantage now that is too subtle to see from these vids.

There is a fair bit of careful play in the videos and not a huge amount of countering, so you can't really draw a lot of conclusions. I'd like to see some matches played with relentless attacking on one side and defender testing holds, sidestepping and throw punishing on the other, with some comments on what worked and what didn't.

I can tell you now, holding is not an advantage like you think.

Don't get me wrong, I think recovery should be extended and active frames toned down a bit still, but its really not so bad once you get a feel for the other tools.

The main problem now is not the hold so much as the Critical Burst, which is a great answer to the hold, damage output, and attacker mixing themselves up - it's just too ineffective.

As Mr.Wah noted (and I said in a previous thread to look for, predicting CB would be very rare), you only see an actual CB twice in all these videos.

That's a sign of an underused mechanic, because it is not accessible enough/underpowered.

Needs to be linkable from sit down stuns and effective in 3-4 hits max.

I enjoyed these videos very much. Jan Lee looks straight up beast, and Eliot looks pretty nice. I wished we had seen all of the new mechanics come into play, like sit down and faint stuns, but good stuff nonetheless. A few tweaks here and there and it will be much better.

What you guys aren't seeing is the many situations where holding can't happen. When you get hands on you'll get blown up if you try to hold out of everything, because the recovery is there, the unholdables are there which throws off your next counter attempt (and you'll be hit), and there are moves that add frame advantage now that is too subtle to see from these vids.
Finally, someone appears with solid arguments. You guys, are forgot two big additions in DoA 5, the CB and the (now functional) SideStep.

I can tell you now, holding is not an advantage like you think.

I usually agree with everything I've seen you post. But how can you say this after watching those videos. I understand that theres unholdable stuns and frame advantage on some moves, that would cause holding simply to return to neutral to not be possible.

This is just not good enough, and it will lead to players simply learning the moves that the can cheese their way out of. I don't understand the logic of adding these different mechanics to put a bandaid on the problem when the real fix is a simple one.

Finally, someone appears with solid arguments. You guys, are forgot two big additions in DoA 5, the CB and the (now functional) SideStep.

CB and sidestep, are unrelated to what people are upset about.

So you hit someone with the first hit of a string on CH, say the string goes high/high/mid, they low counter immediately and by the time the mid attack of your string connects to them they are able to block it. You see no problem with this?

You can add as much stuff to compensate for this as you want but the fact still remains that the person in stun still countered incorrectly and was able to block. What if your third attack is unsafe? They bitch countered at the beginning of your string and got a free throw punish for it.

It is an easy fix, just increase the recovery on the hold and everything else, Critical Burst and Un Counterables will be the icing on the cake. I'm all for the new mechanics, but the counters still need to work right.

A turd with icing on top isn't a good cake, it's a turd with icing on top.

Then, the situation here is: Player 1 begin attack with an autocombo. Player 2, execute a Hold (missed) and can inmediately block, to escape from the string.

I don't see a problem here. The answer to this, is called THROW (or OFFENSIVE HOLD).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD