Devil's Third (Itagaki's next project)

synce

I just remembered it's been forever since there was DT news. So I go to the official site and what do I see? OH A 2013 UPDATE! ...Which like the dozen updates before it doesn't share a single hint about the game. Just some guy >talking about his favorite bands<. I'm reminded of this bozo:

So based on what little we've seen, what do fellow TN fans love or hate about the game and what do you want to see?

One thing I noticed is that in the original trailer there was a playable character that resembled Kokoro, but in a later video that showed concept art of all the characters she was missing (or completely redesigned). Not cool

Kasumi

We know so little, we saw so little about it, that I don't have any expectations, specially when there is absolute silence not only about the game but the studio.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
If the delay of the patch is a result of Itagaki being secretly hired back into office by TN...

Ghosty-J

I've practically given up on Devil's Third since they haven't said squat about it for so long. Great to know that Itagaki's alive and well, but the lack of updates on the game and the studio itself made me forget it even existed <_<

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
We know so little, we saw so little about it, that I don't have any expectations, specially when there is absolute silence not only about the game but the studio.
Itagaki has a monthly column in Famitsu; I'm sure he talks about the game there.

I'm pretty sure this game crashed and burned when THQ went under.
Valhalla got the rights to the game back before THQ went under. They're probably shopping for another publisher.

Ghosty-J

Itagaki has a monthly column in Famitsu; I'm sure he talks about the game there.
Valhalla got the rights to the game back before THQ went under. They're probably shopping for another publisher.

So long as he doesn't go with Capcom I'm fine with any publisher he chooses.

Raansu

Valhalla always had the rights to the game. THQ was just publishing it. I'll be surprised if they can find another publisher.

Chaos

THQ is gone for eternity which is bad news for Valhalla, unless they team up with rocksteady, Ubisoft or Square Enix.

synce

I think finding a publisher will be easy considering Itagaki's a badass mofo that all the girls love. The game's supposedly still in development though, they just replaced THQ's guys with Doobic's guys. (And those famitsu columns are about as informative and on-topic as the site updates trust me lol)

devilsthird_zpseb4a7ab1.jpg

Concept art taken from this awesome video:

tnzk

Valhalla always had the rights to the game. THQ was just publishing it. I'll be surprised if they can find another publisher.

Nah, THQ had the rights to the IP, which they returned last year.

I'm also concerned with them finding another publisher, at least in the West. When a company like THQ goes down, all that's left is really EA and Activision. Like hell they're gonna gamble on risky games. I wouldn't mind them finding a Japanese publisher to take on the rest of the production.

Raansu

Nah, THQ had the rights to the IP, which they returned last year.

I'm also concerned with them finding another publisher, at least in the West. When a company like THQ goes down, all that's left is really EA and Activision. Like hell they're gonna gamble on risky games. I wouldn't mind them finding a Japanese publisher to take on the rest of the production.

Can you really blame them? THQ took a big risk with a piece of hardware and they pretty much crashed and burned.

tnzk

Can you really blame them? THQ took a big risk with a piece of hardware and they pretty much crashed and burned.

Lol that uDraw bullshit was the riskiest unrisky move a studio ever pulled. I think they wanted a novelty peripheral thing like EA and Activision had with Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

Anyway, EA or Activision won't be taking in Itagaki. He's a critical darling, but his games don't sell. Who publishes for the Platinum devs? Maybe Valhalla could jump in bed with them. Was it Sega?

Ghosty-J

Lol that uDraw bullshit was the riskiest unrisky move a studio ever pulled. I think they wanted a novelty peripheral thing like EA and Activision had with Rock Band/Guitar Hero.

Anyway, EA or Activision won't be taking in Itagaki. He's a critical darling, but his games don't sell. Who publishes for the Platinum devs? Maybe Valhalla could jump in bed with them. Was it Sega?

Yup. Platinum Games had a 5-game contract with SEGA, but since MadWorld, Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish, and that one RPG game I forgot about for the 3DS, their contract has already been fulfilled and they're probably off somewhere finding a different publisher by now (which probably isn't Konami since they're only making Metal Gear Rising for them already). I honestly can't picture Itagaki wanting his games published by SEGA for some odd reason.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The game has been in suspension since THQ let it go. They let it go because the engine VS was using expired. The people who made the engine went bankrupt or something but otherwise VS couldn't legally use the engine anymore or get support for it. The cost of switching to an entirely new engine was too much for THQ so they let it go. Basically the game is too expensive and a risky venture, two things that other publishers would be shying away from.

RoboJoe

No Devil's Third at E3, but it's "well along" in development. I'm guessing they're going to show something at TGS in September.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD