Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftCabbage

It's only rumor.

KT with their W-Omega Force finally realized that DW and its getting-worse AI system is getting old.

Lady Tengu

What about a sponge bob cross over?! XD Marie and Honoka? You decide!
4-1.jpg

xOmniCloudx

lol because she's from Texas.

Patrick voice: Old slowpoke Texas. That explains some of Tina and Bass' frame data lol. Also I went through the last couple of pages and wow, why did even DOA3 absolutely destroy even current gen versions of DOA5 in effects, stage depth, background animations and textures? Even the camera work was far better in DOA2. Where did all the extra resources go to, the character models exclusively?

xOmniCloudx

all the extra resources went to the titty physics

Ah, TN's elaborate plan to make people hate titties by using them as the scapegoat of all criticism, therefore getting people to hate them and cause the decline boob obsession as well as the ending the lack of acceptance of them in greater society that was caused due to desire. That's also what all this costume DLC and the other aspects are for, to help social problems regarding sexuality with the female body in society. Good guy TN. I never should have doubted them.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I wouldn't call DOA2s annoying habit of switching sides of the camera better lol fucks up my inputs royally.

And the models n this game are also like ten times bigger than older games, they could get away with more. In a fighting game you have to prioritize one or another most games fo for stages over characters DOA goes for characters over everything else

xOmniCloudx

I wouldn't call DOA2s annoying habit of switching sides of the camera better lol fucks up my inputs royally.

And the models n this game are also like ten times bigger than older games, they could get away with more. In a fighting game you have to prioritize one or another most games fo for stages over characters DOA goes for characters over everything else

Never messed mine up any more than what DOA5 does when it has its weird camera issues as well or any other 3D fighter when their camera interferes. It was better even during a longer animation like say Izuna Drop from various parts of a stage in DOA2. Sacrificing so much just for better models gives less in the end which is a shame.

Sure they look pretty and can even sweat and get dirt on them and now even have their clothes explode but, it becomes a problem when it actually messes with stage design which directly influences the gameplay given they're just aesthetic features. The models would still look pretty even if they toned them down some given already they look better than various PS4 games. Most stages in DOA5 are just a shape that is filled in and they aren't dynamic at all. So many squares and circle fill in stages especially and we do literally have several ring stages. Most stages are basically skins even if they have multiple levels. The dynamicness and liveliness on the stages just isn't there.

It's definitely the most disappointing DOA stage wise bar the first game. I feel even non DOA2U was overall better in that regard too though not by too much.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

Do you play in classic camera or action? I play in classic and it never switches sides randomly at a wall or does it take you on a tour it just focuses on the characters.

As for stages that's what the old stages are for, just don't play vanilla 5s stages lol

xOmniCloudx

Do you play in classic camera or action? I play in classic and it never switches sides randomly at a wall or does it take you on a tour it just focuses on the characters.

As for stages that's what the old stages are for, just don't play vanilla 5s stages lol

I play on classic. It does weird things sometimes depending on character, position, stage and moves used. Seen other players share their weird experiences too. Stuff like that is impossible to not come across in some form in the genre though given every fighter I ever played or watched regardless of dimension has various instances of it and sometimes it's even random.

The classic DOA stages are too few in number to remedy anything given it's only 4 stages and they were only added with each update so there were no options in Vanilla (or Plus) and they were more limited in DOA5U. But let's say the number was irrelevant and just reviewed the stages for what they were. Lost World always sucked and the ice stage is basically Lost World anyway so nothing too different from what even Vanilla has and is a stage I didn't like to begin with. Danger Zone is a great gimmick stage but it's a gimmick stage, playing that as a constant stage or the only stage is not the best way to play DOA.

Then there's Forest, a stage that looked nice in DOA3 because the texturing and slope management was great (even though there are no slope moves in DOA3 so you can't take advantage of it in gameplay so it's a gloried aesthetic) but was one of the least dynamic stages in its own game and really was just a story prop for Kasumi and Ayane. In DOA5, we have multiple slope levels including ones with multiple tiers so Forest isn't anything different. The only thing that sets it apart really is the tree aspet but you can get that in Zack Island which in a lot of ways is an inverse of that level.

Also, it could just be the horrible texturing but the DOA5 version of Forest seems to be dead. Like it's missing something to bring the forest to life and is also missing the depth that makes it seem like it's a huge forest like it was in DOA3. It definitely doesn't come off as a 1:1 recreation with improved hardware which texturing alone can't be responsible for. Maybe it's the camera placement, they changed the sloping, changed the scale or any or all combinations of those things along with the texturing. Lastly, we have the Crimson which was a cool stage in DOA3 and DOA2U. Sadly, we only get PART of the stage which was a huge disappointment to learn so it's smaller and less interactible all around. They then give it a cliffhanger element and the stage basically becomes a Skyscraper 2 and redundant.

I remember when you could knock characters off the top of stages at various angles for special animations and damage, something that isn't really present in DOA5 and as we know stage throws were removed. In fact, a lot of ways to knock people off have sadly been removed and now it can only be done from a specific spot/direction. Tl;dr old stages fix nothing given they chose ones that were either uninteresting to begin with or ones that were made redundant or even obsolete in this installment.

Last edited:

Kronin

@xOmniCloudx I don't want discuss about the subjective taste (so if a stage is interesting or less) but I think that for the most I can't agree with the concept behind the complaints of the old stages that you did: the elements that make interactive a DoA stage are always the same and so a presence of multi tier levels, of obstacles on the map, of slide grounds, of slope grounds, of bouncing/extra damaging walls, etc... Until a new mechanic addition (so something that you can't find in old stages if you want try to recreate them as in the past - see the cliffhanger addition on The Crimson) what can really change the gameplay experience is imo the mix of these factors inside each single arena: don't make sense for me to say that Forest is similar to Zack Island because both of them have trees, because the usage of them in the stage want be completely different (and, as indeed you stated, the two stages are actually one almost the inverse of the other); same thing for Lost World and Ends of the World, both the stages have neverending multi tier levels, but the placement of walls, sizes of the arenas, obstacles and the different grounds properties between them make the 2 stages totally different to my eyes.

People's complaints about the new stages of DoA5 are usually reffered not to the interactivity or size variety but rather to the shape of them, definitely more regular compared to the more irregular standard of the old games (even if some players think that this aspect made the DoA4 stages very wrong from a competitive point of view): so it's not strange to see that the old stages brought back to DoA5, first of all Lorelei, are all very peculiar on that matter (with the only exception of Danger Zone remake coming from an age where DoA owned only square rings stages).

Then there's Forest, a stage that looked nice in DOA3 because the texturing and slope management was great (even though there are no slope moves in DOA3 so you can't take advantage of it in gameplay so it's a gloried aesthetic)

Not sure if I misunderstood what you meant, but I think that at least Ayane could make use of slope moves on that stage (especially on the Snow one of DoA3), even if not with the same effectiviness of what could happen in DoA2/2U

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

They need to bring back obstacles (dinosaurs in DOA4).

My example with Sinking Freedom Survivor works, as you can imagine the characters fighting, jumping over fancy dining tables and triggering falling chandeliers. At one point, a piano could even appear, rolling on the steep red carpet. DOA needs to go back to its "interactive stage" marketing, as many fighters are trying to do it now.

Of course, you could still use Normal Freedom Survivor (Ballroom and Rooftop)

It's a shame they didn't finish the last part of Depth (when the elevator crashes), I love watery stages.

xOmniCloudx

@Kronin, Without getting too long again, I'll specify why I particularly play stages. Outside aesthetics, I want a stage for what makes it stand out along with its set up. The returning stages have nothing different that make them stand out so at that point it's all about aesthetics and set up of the mechanics they have. That's why I personally find them redundant and ultimately pointless to fill any void or address any issues of stages I have with DOA5 because the only thing that changes is the focus of the mechanics of the maps plus again, two of them weren't stages I ever thought were special,one of them is a stage that is missing key parts of it that I enjoyed and the other is a gimmick that changes things in a big way. The latter is great to have given it isn't redundant but it can't be the sole stage I play given how it changes things.

As for other people's complaints on DOA5's stages, that's just one of mine. To each their own though, I just know that zero stages in DOA5 wow me in design and the returning stages in the game even visually look terrible in it. I thought I was remembering it wrong but before I posted, I went and directly compared photos of the old versions with DOA5's and was just shocked at how much more full of life they were before. Maybe Itagaki was responsible for those touches, I don't know but I can definitely notice that they are sorely lacking in DOA5.

Last edited:

Chapstick

@Kronin, Without getting too long again, I'll specify why I particularly play stages. Outside aesthetics, I want a stage for what makes it stand out along with its set up. The returning stages have nothing different that make them stand out so at that point it's all about aesthetics and set up of the mechanics they have. That's why I personally find them redundant and ultimately pointless to fill any void or address any issues of stages I have with DOA5 because the only thing that changes is the focus of the mechanics of the maps plus again, two of them weren't stages I ever thought were special,one of them is a stage that is missing key parts of it that I enjoyed and the other is a gimmick that changes things in a big way. The latter is great to have given it isn't redundant but it can't be the sole stage I play given how it changes things.

As for other people's complaints on DOA5's stages, that's just one of mine. To each their own though, I just know that zero stages in DOA5 wow me in design and the returning stages in the game even visually look terrible in it. I thought I was remembering it wrong but before I posted, I went and directly compared photos of the old versions with DOA5's and was just shocked at how much more full of life they were before. Maybe Itagaki was responsible for those touches, I don't know but I can definitely notice that they are sorely lacking in DOA5.
You sounded biased in all of these comments so there's not much point arguing but I will remind y'all this is a dlc costume thread and it's been off topic for the last few pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD