Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotherius

I want to buy some costumes next week (if/when I get paid) for my 4 mains but I cant decide between their showstoppers encore, flower bikinis or the recent summer fest costumes. Anyone have any recommendations?

The summerfest was really good IMO, you should probably go for it.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I want to buy some costumes next week (if/when I get paid) for my 4 mains but I cant decide between their showstoppers encore, flower bikinis or the recent summer fest costumes. Anyone have any recommendations?
Showstoppers encore, the flower bikinis were shit, and the yukata isn't worth it unless the girl is Nyotengu or Naotora who got higher geta. If you want garbage bikinis that have removable flowers as a gimmick or cheap recolor yukata that suddenly turns ripped and sexy by a CB on only certain boob physics, hey to each their own...

Xhominid The Demon Within

Kodachi probably said it from an aesthetic and mood point of view.
While past DOA games had that cool early 2000s vibe all over the place and could be pinpointed well, it had a clear identity, DOA5 on the other hand is all over the place: first it monkeys American games and atmosphere, then it goes back to Japanese moe aesthetic to the point it does feel like an ecchi fighting game like Arcana Heart.

I do praise TN for the costume contests, that is the best fanservice they could possibly do, but they do it twice a year if we are lucky. And DOAX3's practices are and were garbage, won't excuse them for that.

I doubt here people will argue that Itagaki needs to be back for the gameplay aspect because in that regard DOA has never been better, but the casual POV, it's wonky and indecisive.

But if the next installment goes completely "ridiculous titty fighter" it will still be the butt of everybody's jokes. I doubt anything can change DOA's reputation now, not even going back to Itagaki's atmosphere and aesthetic.
Because even if the game was just like DOA2 which had nothing particularly jarring, nothing other popular Japanese games did not do, gaming is mostly made of male heterosexual guys who will make fun of the tits (while praising Chun Li in a bikini) because "it's just a ploy to hide bad gameplay!!11", since they are so butthurt their punches can be held.
The triangle stystem is probably at fault as much as the tits.

Newsflash, that's what happens when you decide to go the Sex Sells route even if you have a good game on your hands for years...
People in the American FGC loves to judge through first impressions. You also forget that again that exactly like you said, people who DO watch the game don't like the Triangle System in general because they don't feel instant reward for a combo(aka, you can be able to break out with a hold, this is the exact same reason people bitch about KI's Combo Breaker) and they don't want to think after landing the first hit, they just want the reward of a hit into a combo. And yes, the double standard is quite frankly stupid and in most cases...utterly retarded.

I find the excuses just plain up moronic since it's even more obvious SFV is going to be even more of a ridiculous cash grab than DOA5 will ever be(they are CHOOSING to be a mobile platform/F2P-type game but with a $60 price tag and absolutely no bundles past the absolutely insane $25 Capcom Cup package...which ALREADY EXPIRED, same with the Halloween costumes.

It was even the same crap with MK until MKX(and even then, you can still literally flip that from them going on about the sexiness of the females and the clothing they wore to how absolutely ridiculous they are to revel in their own violence and fatalities like always, basically switching Sex for Violence) so it's still that even outside of SFV(not to mention Soul Calibur 4 and Elysium in SC5 easily beats DOA5 in the skimpy department as most of those outfits in DOA5 are atleast not that bad in their defaults, SC4 pretty much went stupid even in that).

This is honestly why I stopped caring about the American FGC: It's a lost cause if it's not Capcom anything because when people still harp on KOFXIV's graphics well after SNK stated WHY they went that route as some type of excuse on why not to play that game is just freaking pathetic.

Argentus

That's what I mean by you being overly pessimistic. I look at things from both sides and can acknowledge the positives & negatives. You just rag on everything lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there's Western players that play generic shit also (*coughscod&fpscoughs*), not exactly fair to attribute it to just the Japanese hmm?

I also personally liked the Samurai Warriors & Fighting Force packs.

Oh I'm awaretheres westernerners like generic shit but Japanese way more so especially when it comes to "sexy girl" stuff hence things like senran kagura, and the Japanese fambase is what they pay attention to.

Now I also liked sw and ff packs but that's compared to HOW many junk copy paste packs?

As @Force_of_Nature stated, past Mortal Kombat damn near every other fighting game is niche compared to Street Fighter...and with how SFV is shaping up to be, even THAT is becoming just as niche as any other Japanese Fighting Game.

Which is funny considering that only counts for America, aka the side of the FGC that primarily sides with Capcom Fighting Games due to such nostalgia compared to damn near every other fighting game series.

So yeah, that's not really helping your point right now(especially since SFV is actually WORSE than DOA in the DLC department considering Fight Money is literally finite AND they are basically trying to sell SFV as if it's a MOBA game or a F2P game as a $60 game)

EDIT: The only reason I haven't been playing DOA5LRCF on my PS4 these days is due to literally trying to catch up on all the games I haven't played in the past year or so.
I still have lots of enjoyment for the DOA series in general, but I'd rather finish what I started in other games.

Same deal here especially after all the own sales. So many games to play.

While past DOA games had that cool early 2000s vibe all over the place and could be pinpointed well, it had a clear identity, DOA5 on the other hand is all over the place: first it monkeys American games and atmosphere, then it goes back to Japanese moe aesthetic to the point it does feel like an ecchi fighting game like Arcana Heart.

I do praise TN for the costume contests, that is the best fanservice they could possibly do, but they do it twice a year if we are lucky. And DOAX3's practices are and were garbage, won't excuse them for that.

I doubt here people will argue that Itagaki needs to be back for the gameplay aspect because in that regard DOA has never been better, but the casual POV, it's wonky and indecisive.

But if the next installment goes completely "ridiculous titty fighter" it will still be the butt of everybody's jokes. I doubt anything can change DOA's reputation now, not even going back to Itagaki's atmosphere and aesthetic.
Because even if the game was just like DOA2 which had nothing particularly jarring, nothing other popular Japanese games did not do, gaming is mostly made of male heterosexual guys who will make fun of the tits (while praising Chun Li in a bikini) because "it's just a ploy to hide bad gameplay!!11", since they are so butthurt their punches can be held.

All this yes. 5 has no identity, other than all the dlc truly turning it into "that titty fighter" that people claimed the old doas were.

Newsflash, that's what happens when you decide to go the Sex Sells route even if you have a good game on your hands for years...
People in the American FGC loves to judge through first impressions. You also forget that again that exactly like you said, people who DO watch the game don't like the Triangle System in general because they don't feel instant reward for a combo(aka, you can be able to break out with a hold, this is the exact same reason people bitch about KI's Combo Breaker) and they don't want to think after landing the first hit, they just want the reward of a hit into a combo. And yes, the double standard is quite frankly stupid and in most cases...utterly retarded.

I find the excuses just plain up moronic since it's even more obvious SFV is going to be even more of a ridiculous cash grab than DOA5 will ever be(they are CHOOSING to be a mobile platform/F2P-type game but with a $60 price tag and absolutely no bundles past the absolutely insane $25 Capcom Cup package...which ALREADY EXPIRED, same with the Halloween costumes.

It was even the same crap with MK until MKX(and even then, you can still literally flip that from them going on about the sexiness of the females and the clothing they wore to how absolutely ridiculous they are to revel in their own violence and fatalities like always, basically switching Sex for Violence) so it's still that even outside of SFV(not to mention Soul Calibur 4 and Elysium in SC5 easily beats DOA5 in the skimpy department as most of those outfits in DOA5 are atleast not that bad in their defaults, SC4 pretty much went stupid even in that).

This is honestly why I stopped caring about the American FGC: It's a lost cause if it's not Capcom anything because when people still harp on KOFXIV's graphics well after SNK stated WHY they went that route as some type of excuse on why not to play that game is just freaking pathetic.

To be fair Soul Caliber ALWAYS beat out DOA in the "sex sells" department.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Same deal here especially after all the own sales. So many games to play.

And I still have more games after this too. Going to have to squeeze out some time for DOA5LR at this rate...

All this yes. 5 has no identity, other than all the dlc truly turning it into "that titty fighter" that people claimed the old doas were.

I wouldn't exactly say that as it's more of DOA5 has more of an identity crisis. They wanted to pander to the Western Marketbase and try and get new blood hence the "I'm a Fighter" slogan, reducing the fanservice down some and the stages they had(they already planned on making DOA5 more competitive, but it felt like the stage selection tried to be more Tekken in terms of nothing really messing anyone up or being a factor of winning).

But then they found out that some Western DOA fans and most Japanese DOA fans didn't like where the series was going(i.e. Stages too plain compared to the norm, fanservice getting toned down and thus in danger of becoming Tekken 2.0) that they decided to revise that and switch it to the other direction and with the DLC, they found out the skimpy costumes go over way better than the casual outfits and otherwise. Which sent them down the path they are today.

Now they are reaching an impasse which is sadly inevitable. While the competitive aspect isn't going away, they are now faced with whether they are going to keep pandering to the DOA casual fanbase or try and branch out and be "serious" again.

I honestly don't really give a shit about either option, but I'd rather DOA still be the game I enjoy it for and not try to be something it isn't for a group of people that won't give a shit when the next Tekken/SF/MK comes out.

To be fair Soul Caliber ALWAYS beat out DOA in the "sex sells" department.

Well that's obviously true from the word go, but again people like forgetting shit like that.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

This is my last response to the thread in off topic matters but you could send me a PM for more talks about it. We are breaking rules here and we should stop.

See here's the thing, Itagaki was merely aiming the direction of the game which isn't really going to solve DOA's initial stigma problems. If he was still within Team NINJA he too will fall victim to the DLC practices because it's a company thing to do. This isn't his own game studios where he can have a final say in the manner. He'd probably be more vocal about it because he has his own FB, but he too will not listen to everything the fans says because it's work. He'd probably agree to them to make them feel better but not actually take it into mind if the higher ups won't like it. He can't appeal to everyone.

We are talking about a guy who had an old saying which is "A wrestler should never beat a ninja". I suppose when it comes to Ryu Hayabusa vs Bass, Ryu in logic would defeat Bass because he's a super ninja. But when it comes to a "Fighting Game", a wrestler should have the tools to beat the ninja even if it isn't possible to do it canon-wise. In fact, gameplay probably wouldn't exactly change even if he's still on board and he wasn't mechanics heavy either. DOA5 literally added new functions of gameplay mechanics and improvements that Itagaki could of done in the past but didn't, which leads to believe that the DOA devs never really needed him if they changed this much.

The issue here is that I don't see how him being in the chair would make a grand difference to the situation when he is still stuck to old methods that gets DOA overshadowed. It's as if people want DOA to be locked in an island that says "No Entry", yet little do they know that they can't live on that small island forever because their resources runs out, so they have to expand to stay relevant as a series. I will admit however, I am curious as to how things would be if there wasn't a Marie Rose or Honoka since he despises those characters, but then quite a few users here would throw a fit because he suddenly took the chair back and removed those two characters. Itagaki isn't a savior to DOA problems when it had problems to begin with. It's a double-edge sword where having him around would still disappoint others no matter the outcome. Fun fact, he also wanted Momiji and Rachel to stay in Ninja Gaiden since lots of people within these forums have this fascination with Rachel in DOA, also he thinks Mila is a silly character.

Where is their god now?

Last edited:

Argentus

1) Ryu in logic would defeat Bass because he's a super ninja.

2) also he thinks Mila is a silly character.

Where is their god now?

1). Hahahaha. I still laugh at him being called a "super ninja" when there's real ones like raiden and ken ogawa plays ayane is better than ryu.

2). I know most Japanese don't like Mila but..."silly"? Has he seen the rest of the DOA girls?! Seriously she's probably the one of the LEAST silly DOA girls.
Seriously though when did he ever comment on mila?

P2p1mbs

Nearly a week since the last comment :confused::eek:?! This last dlc pack seems to have REALLY turned everyone off on costumes. No one cares anymore. About time, even if I could afford to buy something, I have not interest at all.

I hope this means the next costume pass is such a failure that TN FINALLY gets to work on doa6.

Argentus

Nearly a week since the last comment :confused::eek:?! This last dlc pack seems to have REALLY turned everyone off on costumes. No one cares anymore. About time, even if I could afford to buy something, I have not interest at all.

I hope this means the next costume pass is such a failure that TN FINALLY gets to work on doa6.
i don't even remember what the last dlc pack was, honestly

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

No DOA6 yet please! I'm enjoying the current iteration we have. I'm honestly more hopeful for the January and February DLC pack.

GerochiViper

You've basically just proved my point of how pessimistic a person you are lol. The ratio of negative to positive commentary from you is astounding TBH. Why do you bother playing DOA5 or come to this site if you just seem to hate & shit all over everything from DOA5 onwards? You're wasting your time and risk bringing other, more positive people down to your level. It's not healthy dude. Do yourself a favour and pursue something you like.

With regards to TN's treatment of DLC for DOA5LR. All things considered their treatment has been fair if you actually view things from Koei-Tecmo's perspective. I.e. a business perspective. DOA5 is currently 4 years and 2 months old approximately. The game started out fairly small and had a modest launch on PS3 & 360. In terms of content received, we got periodic DLC costume packs in sets of 4 for around $5. The most notably thing we received was the Zack Island DLC stage for FREE. It also came with a balance patch that added in quite a bit of new moves.

Less than a year after DOA5's release, we received DOA5U, which more or less served as a better form of TN's vision for DOA5. We received new stages, characters, increased movesets, technically a new game engine, and probably my favourite, custom music. DLC costumes were changed to solo units for about $2 each, with essentially a new set every month, continuing even to this day. I will admit, not all the sets were exactly "winners", and the stretch in 2014 where we only received fetish rubbish was brutal, but you have to keep in mind that DOA5 did not sell well in terms of units sold. KT needs to justify the continued support of DOA5, which, IMO, has not run its course yet. The $$$$ that KT has made from DLC costumes allows them to both justify supporting the game, but also the offline competitive circuit as well in the form of pot bonuses, the Battle Royal and the DOA Festivals for example (but of course you don't give a fuck about that sort of stuff amrite?). I will also point out that we received 2 more FREE stages in DOA5U, 3 new additional characters and numerous subsequent balance patches.

To maintain the support of DOA5 heading into the nextgen, TN ported DOA5U to PS4, XBone & PC (even though this version is balls aside from being a mod haven) in the form of DOA5LR and attempted to increase the attention of the franchise by collaboration with other franchises such as Senran Kagura, Falcom/Legend of Heroes, Fairy Tail or Attack on Titan to name a few. And of course I can't forget arguably one of the more notable collaborations in the form of SNK allowing Mai Shiranui to join the DOA5LR cast along with a few classic costumes for some of the DOA cast. Along with this, DOA5LR also added a couple more stages & characters, added Fireworks & Azuchi for FREE, added an Attack on Titan stage along with balance patches to go along with the more major releases.

One of arguably the best forms of support that TN has delivered to DOA5 has been the fan design costume contests since around 2014. This in itself is a freakin' amazing thing! Do you know how awesome it must feel to see a costume you designed in DOA5? @VAND1TA's DOA5LR Pai Chan costume is one of the best things to happen to her for example. I give TN major props for allowing this level of fan support. Yet all I see in this forum is bitching and negativity. The reason I still play DOA5LR is because the game is fun, and I enjoy & appreciate TN's support and respect their efforts. I have yet to get bored of the game because there's enough depth to always find something new or refine certain techniques. DOA5LR also looks pretty damn sharp on a 4K monitor with the PS4 Pro, which is awesome. Game does not look dated in the least compared to most fighting games (except those blasted floor textures LOL).

Anyway do you know what the best part about DOA5LR's DLC is? YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT!

Very like!! totally.

Banana56

A Dangan Ronpa pack would be really cool

1312336031_2132422769_full.jpg

danganronpa.jpg

New-Danganronpa-V3_09-20-16_001.png

Banana56

I literally know nothing about Dangonroppa except that black and white bear is the logo.

Can I get a summary?

It's a series with 16 teenagers who go to a high school that only takes the best of the best students.

With this they are tricked and trapped into the school by Monokuma (the bear) who forces them into a killing game. While they become hesitant to do this for a long time, after a while they give in and some of them kill each other.

The objective is to find clues to figure out who the killers are along with learning about their school and why/how they are forced into this killing game.

They have class trials to figure out the killer. If they vote for one of them as the killer and they get it right, the killer gets executed. If they vote and get it wrong, everyone besides the killer will get executed.

Dangan Ronpa 1&2 released in the West already for PS Vita, and Dangan Ronpa V3 will release for PS4 and PS Vita in the West sometime next year.

I recommend getting them, they are really great. I've played them before.

UpSideDownGRUNT

It's a series with 16 teenagers who go to a high school that only takes the best of the best students.

With this they are tricked and trapped into the school by Monokuma (the bear) who forces them into a killing game. While they become hesitant to do this for a long time, after a while they give in and some of them kill each other.

The objective is to find clues to figure out who the killers are along with learning about their school and why/how they are forced into this killing game.

They have class trials to figure out the killer. If they vote for one of them as the killer and they get it right, the killer gets executed. If they vote and get it wrong, everyone besides the killer will get executed.

Dangan Ronpa 1&2 released in the West already for PS Vita, and Dangan Ronpa V3 will release for PS4 and PS Vita in the West sometime next year.

I recommend getting them, they are really great. I've played them before.
Don't forget 1&2 and Ultra Dispair Girls is also coming out for PS4 sometime in 2017 also.

Getting back OT though, we'll probably see some news about AquaPlus pack in the coming week.

Last edited:

Banana56

A Dangan Ronpa pack would be really cool

1312336031_2132422769_full.jpg

danganronpa.jpg

New-Danganronpa-V3_09-20-16_001.png

Btw if there was one, it could be

Kasumi - Kaede (V3)
Ayane - Kyouko (1)
Tina - Ibuki (2)
Lei Fang - Mikan (2)
Helena - Sonia (2)