DOA Q&A

Brute

Standard Donor
Thank you for replying, can you tell me what each of them individually exceed in (pros and cons I guess)
My opinions may differ from a lot of those here, but in my experience:

Hitomi
Pros: Good power/speed balance and intuitive controls. Even if you have no idea what you're doing, your attacks will chain decently well and execute a fair amount of damage.
Cons: Weaker throws and quite predictable line-ups, making her susceptible to counters.

Kasumi
Pros: Very fast, good combo chains. Great distancing and mobility, allowing you to play a good defensive game as well as offensive.
Cons: She's played a lot, so players will often memorize her moves for counters. Sometimes her kicks will leave her exposed to whiff punishment, as well.

Lei Fang
Pros: Good high-to-low variation, making her difficult to predict and counter. Has some very good counters, herself.
Cons: Bit slower than some other characters. Juggling will be more difficult without practice.

Kokoro
Pros: None
Cons: None. Kokoro's not great in any particular area, but she's not horrible in any either. I think that's why you rarely see high level players using her, is because beyond the basics, she doesn't really offer anything unique.

Allan Paris

Kokoro
Cons: None. Kokoro's not great in any particular area, but she's not horrible in any either. I think that's why you rarely see high level players using her, is because beyond the basics, she doesn't really offer anything unique.

I'm busy at them moment. But I will address this one because it stands out the most and, is competely wrong. Kokoro has been a solid character since she came into the series. She is even better in 5. Her speed is average, her damage is decent, she's also a safe characer, her whiff punisher is probably the best one in the game. She has actual PP grab strings, and an unbreakable chain grab. The list goes on. She is very much unique. That's not her problem that most don't flock to her and play her, as far as high level play goes.

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm busy at them moment. But I will address this one because it stands out the most and, is competely wrong. Kokoro has been a solid character since she came into the series. She is even better in 5. Her speed is average, her damage is decent, she's also a safe characer, her whiff punisher is probably the best one in the game. She has actual PP grab strings, and an unbreakable chain grab. The list goes on. She is very much unique. That's not her problem that most don't flock to her and play her, as far as high level play goes.
You pretty much just re-stated what I said, intentionally or otherwise. She's well-balanced and reliable but has no exceptional areas that top other characters (except being safe, though I honestly I don't find her a drastically safer or better whiff punisher than certain top tiers, but if you have framedata or whatever you want to back that up with, do share). If there are a bunch of high-level players using her, I apologize. I just haven't seen them. If there's some other reason for that aside from the theory I just provided and you restated, feel free to share it.

Allan Paris

My opinions may differ from a lot of those here, but in my experience:
Kasumi
Pros: Very fast, good combo chains. Great distancing and mobility, allowing you to play a good defensive game as well as offensive.
Cons: She's played a lot, so players will often memorize her moves for counters. Sometimes her kicks will leave her exposed to whiff punishment, as well.
Before, "in your experience" (in another thread) she was slow, well not that fast as you put it, now she's very fast, lol. Kasumi does not play the distance game very well. So I don't know where you are getting "great distancing" from. Her being mobile, whatever that means, ok. Which kicks exactly leaves her open for whiff punishers? That's an extremely general statement that can actually be applied to any attack that's being whiff'd. I also don't know how a character being played "a lot" is a con. Never stopped my success with her no matter how predictable she is.

Lei Fang
Pros: Good high-to-low variation.
Cons: Bit slower than some other characters. Juggling will be more difficult without practice.
Leifang has good high to mid variations. Not high to low, that would be Zack. Leifang's low game is nothing special, it's a decent option to poke with but that's about it. Leifang is not the fastest but she's not slow either. She is faster than a "bit slower than some other characters." though. All of her initial jabs/pokes are i10, i11, and i14. That is about average for characters. Yeah, I am pretty sure juggling without practice will be diffiuclt, that's not neccessarily a "con" but is a part of character difficulty.

Kokoro
Everything I told you was a pro for her. You put "none" for her as a pro. So I don't know how I re-stated anything you said. You said she's not "great in a particular area", she may have the best whiff punisher in the game. Her whiff punisher is safe, puts the oppenent in an sit-down stun putting her at +25 and it has great range. I don't know the speed of the attack. But that alone makes the move pretty unique and her particularly good at whiff punishing. In 4 she was the safest charater in the game, and I am pretty sure she's still up there in 5 if you exclude the VF characters. But she's still pretty safe more than what most charaters are. Kokoro has PPgrab strings other character have to free cancel to pull that off, she has them in her movesets making it hard to defend against when players implement it correctly in her game play. She also has an unbreakable chain grab something that only a select few characters have. Then you finish by saying, "she doesn't really offer anything unique". I mean what else more do you need for her to be unique besides the few thing I just gave?! She has more stuff to her as well, these are just a couple highlights.

Though, I am just "re-stating" everything you just said. When you literally said nothing about her.

This is also not the character discussion thread. So I will not be commenting on any further that you have to say about this. You can PM me if you care to continue.

RORY

The fastest striking attacks in DOA are jabs right? as in high punches.

Also as it looks like I now have to wait till Monday for my copy to arrive I'd like to ask, how is Christie in DOA? I'm new to the game but not to 3D fighters (VF player) there are a few characters I'm interested in but she'll be the one I try out first.

FakeSypha

Also as it looks like I now have to wait till Monday for my copy to arrive I'd like to ask, how is Christie in DOA? I'm new to the game but not to 3D fighters (VF player) there are a few characters I'm interested in but she'll be the one I try out first.
To sumarize her, I'd say she's fast, good at the poking game and quite evasive. Good to rushdown, but lacks in the damage output department. At least, that's what I've been reading lately about her.

McMystery

Jabs are the fastest from 9 frames, then mids from 11 and lows from (if I remember right) 12.

Once your game arrives come and play some matches with me if you see me online.

XV MR ARMANI

Iight here's my question.

How important is movement in DOA5? And if not, what fundemental should I focus on?

I'm new to the competitive side of DOA, and DOA5 is the first game that I decided to take serious. I decided to get out of just playing one fighting game which is Tekken.

Paulina

One of the biggest qualms Bryan Dawson had with Helena in DOA5 was "she's forced to rely on the stun game" – which he asserted was a tenet of DOA4-style play – and not able to utilize the new gameplay mechanics. Similarly, I've noticed several people in Camp Helena (which is already pretty small) announce they're getting the hell outta Dodge, because "they want the chance to play DOA5."

Can someone explain the basic aspects of "playing DOA5," and why Helena can't utilize them? This is a sincere question – thanks for the clarity. =)

Berzerk!

I think we need to move away from describing any time you play the stun game as playing doa4. The stun game has changed, the counter system has changed, it's Doa5. And even if you don't use sit down stuns and other unholdable a there are still normal hit launchers and wall hits to make the "stun game" less problematic.

If there are problems for Helena it's less the stun system than it is her own move properties and what situations are available

Raansu

I think we need to move away from describing any time you play the stun game as playing doa4. The stun game has changed, the counter system has changed, it's Doa5. And even if you don't use sit down stuns and other unholdable a there are still normal hit launchers and wall hits to make the "stun game" less problematic.

If there are problems for Helena it's less the stun system than it is her own move properties and what situations are available

And yet the fact remains that many characters are still stuck playing DoA4. Hitomi is one of those characters who is forced to play the doa4 stun game with LESS tools.

Berzerk!

Its just not instructive to describe it that way. It's a shorthand that doesn't add to the discussion. Just say "this character has to work with less guaranteed damage to build stun". The fact remains the basic availability of neutral hit launchers and walls change this dynamic and noone is playing DOA4, even though some movesets subjectively speaking have not changed enough.

Sixmsj

Are they going to make more of the CE? It seems it's sold out everywhere and ebay prices are ridiculous.

Allan Paris

Can someone tell me what the weight classes are in DOA 5?

Light, Mid, and Heavy weight.

Are they going to make more of the CE? It seems it's sold out everywhere and ebay prices are ridiculous.

The Xbox CE are done. I think the ps3 should still be around. Whether or not new ones are being made I don't know.

One of the biggest qualms Bryan Dawson had with Helena in DOA5 was "she's forced to rely on the stun game" – which he asserted was a tenet of DOA4-style play – and not able to utilize the new gameplay mechanics. Similarly, I've noticed several people in Camp Helena (which is already pretty small) announce they're getting the hell outta Dodge, because "they want the chance to play DOA5."

Can someone explain the basic aspects of "playing DOA5," and why Helena can't utilize them? This is a sincere question – thanks for the clarity. =)

Please ask this character specific question in the Helena thread.

Iight here's my question.

How important is movement in DOA5? And if not, what fundemental should I focus on?

I'm new to the competitive side of DOA, and DOA5 is the first game that I decided to take serious. I decided to get out of just playing one fighting game which is Tekken.

Yes movement or Free Stepping and Dodging are a major part of DOA5. Controlling the environment is a must. It help you setup players as well as get you out of tough spots to be in. The fundamentals to know and be aware of are: the different weight classes because your juggles will vary amongst them, how the triangle system works Throws, Attacks, and Holds, the guaranteed setups for damage in the game. You can start with those and build your knowledge off that.

ILYA✰

It's so funny that in my country the xbox CEs arent sold out, when it 'should' be the other way round :D

RORY

Thanks, though I guess I should have been more clear. I meant can anyone tell me which class the cast fall into.

unseen wombat

Hey, this is a super noobish question. Can someone please explain what is a critical hold and how do I do it? Same with critical stun. How are they different from regular stuns or holds?

Some of this terminology is so foreign to me.

Sora

Hey, this is a super noobish question. Can someone please explain what is a critical hold and how do I do it? Same with critical stun. How are they different from regular stuns or holds?

Some of this terminology is so foreign to me.

A critical hold is just that -- a hold done while in a critical stun. It's the same motion as doing a hold regularly. Normally, before you can take any other action while stunned (such as attack for example), you have to shake out/stagger escape. Not the case with holds.

The additional risk you take from critical holds, I believe, is that if you guess wrong and the opponent lands a stun move, the stun count continues to pile up. It might be also more susceptible to CH/HCH, but I'm not sure about that at all.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD