DOA Q&A

argilium

how exactly do you tech (which buttons and is there a timing) and all possible options for tech roll? and what are all wake up options? how are they different from the previous DOA titles?

also, how do you throw escape and what can you throw escape? are combo throws/holds with multiple options for a combo throw present some form of mixup or can they all be escaped the same way?

i have some idea how to do these things but since i only casually played the DOA series back then and don't remember, i want it to be cleared somehow..

also, are we gonna have an updated video tutorial about DOA5's systems that is not the Alpha Build?

Mistilteinn

So, I'm completely new to this series and want to try and learn how to be somewhat competent. I've gotten the idea of most of the mechanics down, anything useful to know that someone probably wouldn't notice from the bits and pieces of tutorial the game gives you?
Also, trying to figure out who to main. I played Yosuke in P4A, Tao in BB, and Leixia in SC. Who wold be to closest to the fast, screw with their head playstyle they bring?

BlackKnight

How do you know which moves are NCs? Is there a setting in practice mode that allows you to do that?
Set CPU reaction to Guard All. Strings that are not NC will be blocked in the middle.

Mistilteinn: Ayane definitely has the closest gameplan to Yosuke and Tao. Good movement and mixups. Leixia ahaha imo she's really different.

teekay15

I am extremely new to fighting games so sorry if this has been answered but what exactly is a 'force tech'?

I searched the forum and the wiki, then googled it, and i havnt found anything.

edit: nm, got back from uni and managed to find it. Thanks though, the whole site is really great and comprehensive, that was my fault.

Allan Paris

how exactly do you tech (which buttons and is there a timing) and all possible options for tech roll? and what are all wake up options? how are they different from the previous DOA titles?

Press your guard button as you are hitting the floor. If you press a direction while doing that you'll tech backwards, up, or down. Pressing no directional at all you will tech up in place.

The standard wake up options are low and mid wake-up kicks. Some characters have a special wake up option depending on their position while they're laying on the ground. For ex. Jann Lee: Position: Feet Facing; He can flip up off his back and he throws out a mid punch. Not all character have this special wake up option.

The wake up kick game has returned back to how it was in DOA3.

also, how do you throw escape and what can you throw escape? are combo throws/holds with multiple options for a combo throw present some form of mixup or can they all be escaped the same way?

You can only throw escape neutral throws, and you do that by pressing throw when you are grabbed by it. You can break some chain grabs and you can do that by pressing throw when you see the blue text that comes up on the screen for the grab to be chained together.

also, are we gonna have an updated video tutorial about DOA5's systems that is not the Alpha Build?

That video (well series of videos) should be coming sooner or later. It's a lot to put into it and it will take some time.

I apologize that your question sat in here for so long before it was answered. You probably have figured out all this stuff by now.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Is it still possible to do While Jumping and While Landing attacks in DOA5? I can't get to do hops or jumps in this game.

RhythmikDesigns

Can someone explain the DOA1 hold system in comparison to DOA5, or point me to where I can find more in depth info about it. Some of DrDogg's comments on twitter have piqued my interest.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Is it still possible to do While Jumping and While Landing attacks in DOA5? I can't get to do hops or jumps in this game.

They're there when you vault a barrier like from Ends of the Earth and Warzone.

Can someone explain the DOA1 hold system in comparison to DOA5, or point me to where I can find more in depth info about it. Some of DrDogg's comments on twitter have piqued my interest.

Depends on which version you are referring to:

Dead or Alive 1.
You had two universal holds: :h: and :2::h:. Each of these were parries and could only be done out of critical state. If you were a striker character your :h: would do 10 damage but your :2::h: would do 0, a grappler would do 10 on both, and a holder would do 0 on both. The :h: would cover any mid or high attack, and the :2::h: would cover any low attack. There were also specific holds such as many characters like Hayabusa and Gen Fu where to do a mid kick hold you had to do :214::h:.

Dead or Alive++
Out of critical state you had the same :h: and :2::h: universal system with the added specific holds of mid punch (:6::4::h:) and mid kick (:214::h:) to every character's disposal. Once you were in Critical state you had the same mid hold notations but in order to perform the High and Low parries you were required to input each hit level and attack type individually. For example, the high punch parry (:7::h:), low punch (:6::1::h:), high kick (:4::4::h:), and low kick (:2::2::h:). Again, that six-point system was only if you were in critical state and the mid level was the only one that would do what we know today as defensive holds, the other four points would just do the parries you would get for doing :h: or :2::h: out of critical state.

RhythmikDesigns

They're there when you vault a barrier like from Ends of the Earth and Warzone.

Depends on which version you are referring to:

Dead or Alive 1.
You had two universal holds: :h: and :2::h:. Each of these were parries and could only be done out of critical state. If you were a striker character your :h: would do 10 damage but your :2::h: would do 0, a grappler would do 10 on both, and a holder would do 0 on both. The :h: would cover any mid or high attack, and the :2::h: would cover any low attack. There were also specific holds such as many characters like Hayabusa and Gen Fu where to do a mid kick hold you had to do :214::h:.

Dead or Alive++
Out of critical state you had the same :h: and :2::h: universal system with the added specific holds of mid punch (:6::4::h:) and mid kick (:214::h:) to every character's disposal. Once you were in Critical state you had the same mid hold notations but in order to perform the High and Low parries you were required to input each hit level and attack type individually. For example, the high punch parry (:7::h:), low punch (:6::1::h:), high kick (:4::4::h:), and low kick (:2::2::h:). Again, that six-point system was only if you were in critical state and the mid level was the only one that would do what we know today as defensive holds, the other four points would just do the parries you would get for doing :h: or :2::h: out of critical state.

Thanks

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
In DOA5,
What is the definition of a "reset?"
Also, what is the definition of a "hit-confirm?"

I think the proper way to describe a reset is a combo, or situation that instead of end with the character grounded, or so it allows the attacker reset things back to neutral, while getting advantage that allows them to create a vortex. Probably not the best description, but meh.

A hit confirm is more of using a safe attack to see how your opponent will react before using a big, but risky one.

Moritsuna

What is a jab? On xbox 360 I noticed that the right bumper or H+P+K button makes characters like Mila do something that looks like a real life "jab" but I'm not sure this is what people are talking about when they use her. Is the "jab" the HPK button? And when should it be used?

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
What is a jab? On xbox 360 I noticed that the right bumper or H+P+K button makes characters like Mila do something that looks like a real life "jab" but I'm not sure this is what people are talking about when they use her. Is the "jab" the HPK button? And when should it be used?

I think the jab comes from a rising P, or you press P+K. I'm not 100% though since I haven't played Mila in forever.

Scornwell

A jab is any character's fastest neutral strike, typically just a basic punch. Mila's jab is her neutral P and executes in 10 frames, making it her fastest attacks out of a string.
Jabs are used to start a string, such as Mila's PPP, and to interrupt an opponents offence. Some characters' jabs are fast enough to sneak in the middle of an opponents string, which counts as a counter hit and usually puts your opponent in stun, reversing the offense.
If you press the HPK button by itself in solo mode, the game interprets it as just "P." Same thing as Mila's regular punch.

Dave

How do I cancel the power blows? I see people do it all the time.

What are the buttons to get out of certain hold combos, for example Tina's. Do you have to press a certain directional button?

P1naatt1ke1tt0

How do I cancel the power blows? I see people do it all the time.

What are the buttons to get out of certain hold combos, for example Tina's. Do you have to press a certain directional button?

Keep holding the strike inputs for the powerblow (:P+K: ) and then tap in a directional input :2: or :8:, you will cancel into sidestep.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD