DOA2 after DOA5

synce

Recently I've been spending some time with the PS2 Classics version of DOA2HC... Just some quick notes (maybe I'll add more later):

- It's still a jaggy mess, although playing in 480i with smoothing it's a little better than PS2
- Like PS2 version the screen still jitters occasionally (maybe just a problem with JP version or HDTV's, I don't have US version or SDTV for testing)
- The soundtrack is sex. I have it on my DOA5 custom playlist but it's much easier to appreciate in DOA2 itself
- Still the best dub since RE1
- I don't remember the camera being so awful - several fights felt like DOA3's Genra
- Overall it feels a lot more like a real fighting game than DOA5

If you've recently been replaying DOA2 share your thoughts on it

Nightpup

No, the camera can be that bad. It does it in the Dreamcast version as well.
DOA2's OST is easily my favorite. Blazed up Melpomene ftw.
The Dreamcast version runs absolutely flawlessly. No choppy framerates anywhere. At least, the Japanese Limited Edition that I own does. No amazing english dub though ;-;

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
The only version of DOA2 I have is DOAU. I actually jumped into it for a bit last year. That was before DOA5 came out though and I was only fighting the AI. I guess I'd like DOA2 since my main was apparently God Tier. That and I'd get to use Leon again. Too bad I don't know any DOA fans locally. Hell, if I did, I'd mod my Xbox and get a copy of 3.1.

And yeah, every DOA soundtrack is better than DOA5's.

Nightpup

The only version of DOA2 I have is DOAU. I actually jumped into it for a bit last year. That was before DOA5 came out though and I was only fighting the AI. I guess I'd like DOA2 since my main was apparently God Tier. That and I'd get to use Leon and Ein again. Too bad I don't know any DOA fans locally. Hell, if I did, I'd mod my Xbox and get a copy of 3.1.

And yeah, every DOA soundtrack is better than DOA5's.
Fixed. Also, why 3.1? Why always 3.1? What are the major differences between that and regular 3?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Fixed. Also, why 3.1? Why always 3.1? What are the major differences between that and regular 3?

Having Ein again would be nice too, but I wouldn't use him.

As for 3.1, check virtuaPAI's explanation here. Honestly, I wouldn't pick up on the differences myself since I hardly ever played 3.0 anyway. I wouldn't have a problem playing 3.0 since I hear it's still good, but if 3.1 is better then I'd rather play that. 3.1 seems to have a much more fleshed out metagame too, so it'd be easier to find any information that I'd need.

Back to DOA2 though, I just remembered that if I did start playing DOAU, I'd be able to use Tengu's awesome C3 that wasn't in DOA4 or DOAD for some reason.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor

3.0 is just an incomplete version of 3.1. 3.1 has more moves, a more fleshed out freestep system, and has some balance tweaks. 3.0 is still good, there's just not really a reason to play it over 3.1.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Dr. Teeth said:
3.0 is just an incomplete version of 3.1. 3.1 has more moves, a more fleshed out freestep system, and has some balance tweaks. 3.0 is still good, there's just not really a reason to play it over 3.1.

-I wouldnt say 3.0 is totally incomplete. There were techs, and certain character benifits that was actually taken out of the game.

Julius Rage

I think DOAU we're still on live I'd play that shit to this day. I don't play DOA5 anymore and have no plans on competing in DOA in the future. So now that I can just play the games for fun I realize how little I liked 5. I play DOA 4 and 3 on my old Xbox and I swear that since I dropped the trash talking that I just enjoy playing the older iterations much more.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I personally can't go back to the older games(not seriously anyways). It's just too funny for me to play.

Nightpup

I still repeatedly go back to DOA2LE on my Dreamcast. 2 is still my favorite DOA and probably always will be.

TRI Mike

I'm most likely wrong but I always felt weird when playing HC, that version was always uncomfortable. DOA2 for me is the Arcade, Dreamcast and Xbox versions.

DeathHand

my fav of doa2 is ultimate because of the 4 point system.im not sure why ppl are saying doa2 for dreamcast is better, I remember that the hardcore version was better (more costumes,Bayman, stages, textures and faster loading)

Awesmic

Standard Donor
How was Hardcore the worst version?
It isn't.

The worst version of DOA2 in actuality is the unfinished version Itagaki did not approve of release for on the PS2 in Japan (which never saw the light of day outside Japan, thankfully). Hardcore was the complete version he intended to release on the PS2 some time later.

On a side note, the Dreamcast version has the advantage of better textures, but doesn't run at 60fps during cutscenes like the PS2 versions do.

DeathHand

All versions of DOA 2 had 4 point holds. In the DC, arcade, and HC versions of the game, it was a 2 directional 4 point hold system. For instance, instead of doing :6::F: to hold mid kicks, you had to do :4::6::F:.
realy?! O.O mine is 3 point im sure of it and I had doa for dreamcast and harcore for ps2.maybe theres some diferent version in america not sure...never tried the arcade ='(

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD