DOA5 after 6 months - what worked and what didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumasama

Around 6 months have passed, several patches, one major one which is probably the last one we'll see unless they decide to release some big stuff as a DLC (which is unlikely, imho, only new costumes will come), I think it's long enough to be able to analyze the game in a more cold-minded way that it would have been possible when the game was too fresh.

I love the new gameplay of DoA5, despite my complaints at start I wouldn't go back now.
Not trying to say DoA4 sucked, I still love it and in a couple of gameplay aspects I probably liked it more than DoA5, but overall I wouldn't go back. I had the same feelings when DoA4 came up, comparing it to DoAU, altough that was a much bigger of a difference/impact to me, compared to the DoA4>DoA5

In my opinion some things that still do not work in DoA5 are:
  1. Color Palette: new character design is good, but the new textures and colours are really not "coloured" enough, too pallid, tend to gray scale
  2. Menus: ugly and slow
  3. Online: the simple and fast way of doing online DoA4/DoAU had was different from all other online BEUs, and maybe that's why I liked it, it was different. It was a standard of its own, there was no need to imitate the rest (especially if these are the buggy results)
  4. New Sound effects: can find them in Dimensions too, ugly. The permanently present rap-music is ugly too. Damn it this is a JP game not an US ones >_>
  5. Stages: dunno what to complain about here. They're many, lots of variations, some are reaaaally cool, but somehow I feel "something" is missing, don't know what, maybe it's those low-res "dirty" textures or the issue about colours.
  6. Costumes: it's not the overall number and I don't want to enter inside the tricky discussion of "DLC yes" vs "DLC no". I'm talking from a pure attention developers dedicated to costumes. Most are rehashes, recolours or are just very plain and simple, compared to the old games costumes which were way more detailed, unique and required a whole more lot of work on their side. It kinda showed it did, the result was much better imho.
  7. Missing characters and out-of-place ones: I miss Leon altough I can understand it being missing, it was one of the least liked characters. But Ein? It was one of the most liked, not the same as Hitomi at all and all the rest. Also, while I was very excited about the VF character guests, 3 guests is a bit too much, especially if you're gonna skip some of the series' own character. The problem with the VF chars is that they look more like a copypaste from VF rather than a real, deep, careful adaptation of those characters to the DoA world and mechanics. They just don't blend well together, I hate it in the end.
  8. Changed characters: It's a standard in nowadays BEUs, and seeing how MUCH some characters get completely changed in other games (Soul Calibur!), you can't really complain here. Still some characters got changed too much and I don't like it. It's not a matter of them being stronger or weaker, I don't care, it's about them being too different. Tweaking properties and frames of moves is ok, but cutting so many moves out and adding so many more? Also some of the new animations look really odd and out of place, makes you wonder why they had to change them at all. Changing characters too much is just something I'll never like, ever. I guess this kinda applies to DoA4 compared to DoA3 though. talking about character-specific changes, not general game mechanics ones. I'm too biased atm to be able to judge that. Do you think there were more "big changes" between DoA3>DoA4 or DoA4>DoA5? I guess it depends on the character. Overall I feel DoA5>DoA5 had way more changes, some of which were really unnecessary, which makes me even more disappointed.

DR2K

Gameplay

+The wall game being guarnateed
+ Guaranteed stuns, throw set ups, etc. . .
+Critical bursts and power blows
+nerfed wake up kicks
+balance so far
+new dangerzones that allow for more guarnateed damage
-Some characters have more guaranteed set ups than others for no specific reason.

Visuals and Asthetics
+New designs, best looking models in gaming. The men and women look real, and down right beautiful.
+Sweat, dirt, clothing effects go a long way.
-Stage designs overall aren't as fun to look at, but realy fun to play in. Example the clown stage.
-Music, mother of god is it boring, a lot of characters had personality in their themes, sad to see them gone and replaced with boring atmospheric tracks. Tournament is on friday call me freddy can burn in hell.
-Story mode and tutorial being blended in and characters missing story mode sections
-missing characters, roster count should have had everyone in Dimensions.

Overall it has been a roller coaster of emotions, but this is the definitive DOA for me so far. Now to get my lazy ass to a tournament. . .

Akumasama

Story mode gave me mixed feelings.
I was super mad at start that they changed the formula they had used since DoA2 so far.
A formula which probably reached its peak in DoA4, with the "final" story mode being Helena and getting unlocked after everybody else.

Despite of my initial bias, I have to say I kinda apreciated the new story mode in the end.
I'm more annoyed they changed Survival to the new "tiered" format and without bonus items.
I don't like the whole tiers thing even for the rest tbh.
You should just have Arcade, Time Attack and Survival, period. The difficulty should be set for Time Attack, scale throughout the game in Survival and you should be able to change it from the menu for Arcade.

But yeah Gameplaywise despite the initial impact, I have very little to complain about. And this is probably the most important aspect in a fighting game after all, isn't it?
Critical Burst and Power Blows give me mixed feelings but overall I like them.
Only thing I miss is Offensive Hold going from a general game mechanic into a character specific thing.

d3v

+More guaranteed damage.
+Sidesteps that actualyl work
+VF characters
+Mila
+nerfed wake up kicks
-taking stuff out from the E3 build
-How they handled the patches
-slow escapes

Akumasama

What has been taken out from the E3 build? I didn't go to E3 last year and only tried the demo, which made me kinda depressed tbh.
I kinda agree with Mila, it was a good idea developed the wrong way, altough it's not as bad as the VF chars.

Slow Escapes were available in past DoA games as well. You mean the fact that they mattered very little in the past while they have a very big importance here? I'm not so sure how I feel about them myself, but I'm leaning toward being happy about this change.

Your line about more guaranteed damage reminded me of another thing that I liked a lot. Matches set with energy on largest last longer than past DoA games, and I LOVE that. I love very slow and long rounds. Don't know if that's because moves do less damage than past DoAs or because the energy bars are bigger. Whatever it is, I love it.
This makes me think about SC5 for instance, where rounds last two nanoseconds, hated that so much...

Saber

+ Special Danger Zones. Even now they're still fun as hell to play in.
+ VF characters. I still can't get enough of them.
+ Sidestep mechanic. Tracking and non-tracking attacks do wonders for character variation.
+ Lifebar length. I always thought that DoA4's default lifebar was far too short.
+/- Critical Burst. Guaranteed damage is awesome, but it'd be even better if it was like the E3 build. I just hate how you have to use DoA4's absurd stun system to take advantage of it.
- The game is still a little too button-masher friendly, especially for characters like Rig.
- DoA4's Critical Stun system. Self-explanatory why it doesn't work.
- Lack of colorful, vibrant stages. Zack Island was fun as hell despite there not being much of the flashiness like Scramble and Hot Zone. We need more stages like that for variety's sake.
- Slow escape. At least take them out of all unholdable stuns.
- BGM is horrible. A severe lack of adrenaline-pumping tracks with the exception being the Ends of the Earth's BGM, Circus, Sakura and Zack Island.

Akumasama

+/- Critical Burst. Guaranteed damage is awesome, but it'd be even better if it was like the E3 build. I just hate how you have to use DoA4's absurd stun system to take advantage of it.
You're the second person who talks about differences from the E3 version, now I demand knowing all the details about these differences!!! :p :p :p

Saber

You're the second person who talks about differences from the E3 version, now I demand knowing all the details about these differences!!! :p :p :p
Critical Bursts can be pulled off much earlier without reaching the stun threshold in E3. Apparently, it was a major complaint from the Japanese fans, so TN kept it in, but changed it so it could only activate once you reach the stun threshold for all DoA5 builds after E3.

Main reason why a lot of players would prefer E3's was that you could get off guaranteed damage earlier without the need to guess too much.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

In short, they increased the amount of damage required to reach high threshold to be allowed to critical burst.

Akumasama

I haven't tried the E3 version so I can't speak for how it felt, maybe I would have liked it, but just reading about it makes me think it's better this way, especially seeing how powerful CB tactics can be with some characters.

I can't imagine it being any better if it was even easier than now to CB opponents.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Pluses: Every common thing being said in this thread so far

Minuses: DLC practices, missing characters, still no trenchcoat for Christie, the fact some versions have certain cool features others don't (PS3 has the sixaxis easter egg, Vita has Move Details Plus and custom soundtracks but no lobby match online and a limited tag mode, and 360 has the short end of the stick, feeling barebones in comparison to the PS3 version). Finally, I don't appreciate the fact I needed a self-confidence patch just to psych myself up to improve on this game.

Chaos

They should make doa5ultimate/hardcore/what ever name

With the missing characters

With CB in 3 hits for everyone

With longer recovery for holds

Etc.
Short recovery for holds is one of my biggest complaints and have to hit your opponent more than 3 times for a CB is tedious.

Blazeincarnated

I have mixed feelings.....

Pros: New Designs, Overall better combat
Cons: The feel isnt there anymore. It doesn't feel like DOA, it feels like a whole fuckload of shit that has nothing to do with DOA, and the VF characters? They can really piss off. And the bland ass levels. Why doesn't TN take risks like Ed Boon? Make challenge towers and etc. etc. And the fucking advertisement is horrible. Bad timing responsiveness from CMs. The hype of this game is literally gone that fast. And to top it all off, you would think after seven years, they wouldnt have the nerve to pull this DLC shit. And why the fuck did Zack say "Its been 10 years" like WTF does that even mean!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I have mixed feelings.....

Pros: New Designs, Overall better combat
Cons: The feel isnt there anymore. It doesn't feel like DOA, it feels like a whole fuckload of shit that has nothing to do with DOA, and the VF characters? They can really piss off. And the bland ass levels. Why doesn't TN take risks like Ed Boon? Make challenge towers and etc. etc. And the fucking advertisement is horrible. Bad timing responsiveness from CMs. The hype of this game is literally gone that fast. And to top it all off, you would think after seven years, they wouldnt have the nerve to pull this DLC shit. And why the fuck did Zack say "Its been 10 years" like WTF does that even mean!

Wait, Ed Boon takes risks? Since when?

His game never sold on gameplay, it sold on gimmicks and he's been doing that since MK1.

Reactions: d3v
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD