DOA5 after 6 months - what worked and what didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3v

Wait, Ed Boon takes risks? Since when?

His game never sold on gameplay, it sold on gimmicks and he's been doing that since MK1.
Injustice's system is one big steaming pile of gimmicks. Watch as Boon whinges when every tournament turns off stuff like stage interactivity, etc. If he's not careful, it's going to be Sakurai all over again.

synce

Gimmicks aren't bad... the most popular fighting games all have fireballs and teleports and I'd love to see more of this stuff in DOA. Right now the game is basically just tits and ninjas. If they're going to keep the gameplay so "gambly" in DOA6 at least give people more interesting characters. Ogres, robots, angels, etc. I think that's the number 1 reason Tekken and MK are so popular and almost nobody plays VF or DOA.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Gimmicks aren't bad... the most popular fighting games all have fireballs and teleports and I'd love to see more of this stuff in DOA. Right now the game is basically just tits and ninjas. If they're going to keep the gameplay so "gambly" in DOA6 at least give people more interesting characters. Ogres, robots, angels, etc. I think that's the number 1 reason Tekken and MK are so popular and almost nobody plays VF or DOA.

....Tits and ninjas. MK.

Do you really not see a connection?

IceMage95

The last time TN did that there were noobs who were constantly spamming it *cough* DOAD *cough*. Not to mention that it's supposed to be a more realistic hand-to-hand combat type fighting game.

Blazeincarnated

Wait, Ed Boon takes risks? Since when?

His game never sold on gameplay, it sold on gimmicks and he's been doing that since MK1.
Exactly my point. He broadened his horizons. Even today, Mk9 has sold 4 million copies. TTT2, DOA5, Persona, etc etc. will NEVER touch that level. Not in this lifetime anyway...not with this half assed content. Im just being honest.

Davey2100

Pros: Same fun gameplay

Cons:
I HATE the music in doa5. doa3 was probably the peak for music but even then doa4 still did a great job. The music is just disgusting.
The stages... I don't mind there being some gritty realistic stages but there's too many and they are just boring. I think doa3 had the best stages, some real pretty ones. I'd rather of had them port in doa3/4 stages than use the current ones.

Missing characters...

That the online was pretty dead from the start, when I'm online it feels like I'm on a game thats about 2-3 years old. When I have the doa5 urge now I just play against the cpu, I'll probably just go online now and then to get a bit closer to that 1000 win trophy, I just can't stand listening to that terrible music while waiting 2-10 minutes for a match.

The DLC is just insulting to fans. it shows they have no respect how they just keep selling recolours and costume swaps.

Overall, the game is still the same old goodness they just lost a bit of it's soul along the way.

Akumasama

I keep thinking about the E3 CB difference. I haven't tried it on my own, and maybe I would have liked if I did, but just thinking about it makes me think they did the right choice with the current build.

There already are more than enough guaranteed forms of damage in this game, especially for some chars.
You don't have air control to avoid juggles like in SC, and compared to past DoA games you have moves that delay your Holds and situations where you can't hold at all (sit down stuns), all of those situations, with the right frames, guarantee for more launchers which bring more guaranteed damage.

I welcomed with open arms the larger energy bars because I like rounds that last longer. Seeing your character used like a ball without you being unable to do anything just because you got hit from a single move is not fun, it's frustrating, it's only right they try to limit that somehow.
Even shorter CB would have made it only more frustrating, imho.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I think it is a reference to Akira's catch phrase about it being 10 years too early to beat him. Zack appears out of nowhere and says it right after Kokoro beats Akira in story mode.

I believe its a reference to DOA catching up to VF in numerical order, but yes it has a dual reference to Akira's catchphrase.

Saber

Not really. Gameplay is a plus and a minus.

The minus that probably everyone agrees on is music..

HoodsXx

What worked? All the things.

What didn't work? All the things. :) really only thing lacking is the hold recoveries. Not enough frame advantage and not a lot of guaranteed setups that you can utilize. Lastly... force techs imo are just... yeah... not good and the ground game is still laughable.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
But...but....but... :(

- Bokuho
Yeah, yeah we know. Helena's got a nice butt too.

helena_s_beach_time_by_x2gon-d5suo0b.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD